The Liquefaction of the Blood of St. Januarius

Started by Vox Clara, September 18, 2022, 12:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vox Clara

Let's see if the saint's blood liquefies on his feast day tomorrow September 19.

From The Catholic Telegraph:

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE MIRACLE OF LIQUEFACTION OF THE BLOOD OF SAINT JANUARIUS
Catholic News Agency / September 20, 2021
by CNA Staff

Naples, Italy, Sep 18, 2021 / 10:38 am

On Sept. 19, the Catholic Church celebrates the feast of St. Januarius, bishop, martyr, and patron saint of Naples, Italy. Traditionally, on this day and on two other occasions a year, his blood, which is kept in a glass ampoule in the shape of a rounded cruet, liquifies. According to documentation cited by the Italian media Famiglia Cristiana, the miracle has taken place since at least 1389, the first instance on record.

Here are the key facts:

1. The blood is kept in two glass ampoules.

The dried blood of St. Januarius, who died around 305 A.D., is preserved in two glass ampoules, one larger than the other, in the Chapel of the Treasury of the Naples Cathedral.

2. The liquefaction is a miracle

The Church believes that the miracle takes place in response to the dedication and prayers of the faithful. When the miracle occurs, the mass of reddish dried blood, adhering to one side of the ampoule, turns into completely liquid blood, covering the glass from side to side.

3. The blood traditionally liquifies three times a year.

The saint's blood traditionally liquefies three times a year: in commemoration of the transfer of his remains to Naples (the Saturday before the first Sunday in May); on his liturgical feast (Sept. 19), and on the anniversary of the eruption of nearby Mount Vesuvius in 1631 when his intercession was invoked and the city was spared from the effects of the eruption (Dec. 16).

4. The liquefaction can take days.

The liquefaction process sometimes takes hours or even days, but sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Normally, after a period that can range from two minutes to an hour, the solid mass turns red and begins to bubble.

The ampoules, which contain a dark solid mass, are enclosed in a reliquary that is held up and rotated sideways by a priest to show the blood has liquified. This is usually done by the Archbishop of Naples while the people pray.

According to the Italian Catholic magazine Famiglia Cristiana, the reliquary with the ampoules remains on view for the faithful for eight days, during which they can kiss it while a priest turns it to show that the blood is still liquid. Then it is returned to the safety vault and locked away inside the Chapel of the Treasury of the Cathedral.

5. The faithful venerate the relic every year.

With the exclamation: "The miracle has happened!" the people approach the priest holding the reliquary to kiss the relic and sing the "Te Deum" in thanksgiving.

6. There is no scientific explanation.

Several investigations have already been conducted in the past to find a scientific explanation that answers the question of how something solid can suddenly liquefy, but none has been satisfactory so far.

7. The liquefaction does not always occur.

When the blood doesn't liquefy, the Neapolitans take it as an omen of misfortune.

The blood did not liquefy in September 1939, 1940, 1943, 1973, 1980, nor in December 2016.

The relic also remained solid the year Naples elected a communist mayor, but it spontaneously liquefied when the late Archbishop of New York, Cardinal Terence Cooke, visited the St. Januarius shrine in 1978.

8. The blood has liquefied in the presence of some popes.

In 2015, while Pope Francis was giving some advice to the religious, priests, and seminarians of Naples, the blood liquefied again.

The last time the liquefaction occurred before a pontiff was in 1848 with Pius IX. It did not happen when John Paul II visited the city in October 1979 or in the presence of Benedict XVI in October 2007.

Goldfinch

It's always one of my favorite feast days.

St. Januarius, pray for us.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great

Lavenderson

I'm getting confirmed in November at my local society parish. I was baptized on September 19th so I'll be taking Januarius as my confirmation name.

San Gennaro pray for us!
O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Kaesekopf

I find it very strange that this has become the "it" thing 3 times a year.

I've been following Online Catholic Rubbish for 15 years, and this liquefaction has only become really popular in the last few years. 

Why? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Vox Clara

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 19, 2022, 11:04:15 AM

I've been following Online Catholic Rubbish for 15 years, and this liquefaction has only become really popular in the last few years. 

Why?

What are you talking about? Online Catholic Rubbish? Is that a reference to some publication or to my post? I've always followed this miracle, and it seems obvious to me why Catholics would do so.

Prayerful

Got morning Low Mass for the Saint and his companions and a St Jerome missal is handy for those Masses even it be a 1964-66 'transitional' Missal. It has fine texts.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Goldfinch

Quote from: Vox Clara on September 19, 2022, 11:17:35 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 19, 2022, 11:04:15 AM

Why?

What are you talking about? Online Catholic Rubbish? Is that a reference to some publication or to my post? I've always followed this miracle, and it seems obvious to me why Catholics would do so.

It's literally one of the most popular miracles of our faith.

It's not a recent thing. It's been talked about online for decades, not to mention in our parishes.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great