Has anyone made a whole cloth quilt?

Started by Bernadette, December 17, 2021, 07:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

I've wanted to make a whole cloth quilt for years, and I'm getting ready to take the plunge. Has anyone made one? I have some questions.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

My wife has been sewing quilts for years. I'd be glad to pass on any questions to her.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

How do I prep the fabric? The preprinted quilt tops say not to prewash or iron the fabric, in order to keep the design on there. Do I just put it on the quilting frame? Am I supposed to quilt with one strand of thread or two, like for sewing?
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

OK so she does patchwork tops. She sews lots of little pieces together rather than whole cloth where the pattern comes from the stitching. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. She recommended checking out YouTube.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on December 17, 2021, 11:23:47 AM
How do I prep the fabric? The preprinted quilt tops say not to prewash or iron the fabric, in order to keep the design on there. Do I just put it on the quilting frame? Am I supposed to quilt with one strand of thread or two, like for sewing?

You don't need to prep the fabric. Yup, put the 3 layers together, load it onto the quilting frame and off you go! One strand of thread.

What size quilt will this be?

I'll post some links in a bit...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jayne

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Bernadette

Quote from: Lynne on December 18, 2021, 05:22:45 AM

You don't need to prep the fabric. Yup, put the 3 layers together, load it onto the quilting frame and off you go! One strand of thread.

Thanks! It will be a queen size. I'm going to use red thread to make the design really pop.
My Lord and my God.

Elizabeth.2

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on December 18, 2021, 07:08:32 AM
Quote from: Lynne on December 18, 2021, 05:22:45 AM

Thanks! It will be a queen size. I'm going to use red thread to make the design really pop.

Sounds wonderful!

All of the links I looked at were concerned with the design aspects of a wholecloth quilt. You don't have to worry about that, your quilt top is already marked.  :) I think you made at least one other quilt, right? Was it hand-quilted or machine-quilted?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

My other quilts have all been tacked, so this will be a real learning experience for me.
My Lord and my God.