Author Topic: RULE/MARTYROLOGY THREAD  (Read 263280 times)

Offline OmniaInstaurareInChristo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
Re: RULE/MARTYROLOGY THREAD
« Reply #2790 on: September 22, 2022, 04:24:26 PM »
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for September 23:

CHAPTER V
Of Obedience (cont.)

But this very obedience will then only be acceptable to God and sweet to men, if what is commanded be done not fearfully, tardily, nor coldly, nor with murmuring, nor with an answer shewing unwillingness; for the obedience which is given to superiors is given to God, since He Himself hath said: “He that heareth you, heareth Me.” And it ought to be given by disciples with a good will, because “God loveth a cheerful giver.” For if the disciple obey with ill-will, and murmur not only with his lips but even in his heart, although he fulfil the command, yet it will not be accepted by God, Who regardeth the heart of the murmurer. And for such an action he shall gain no reward; nay, rather, he shall incur the punishment due to murmurers, unless he amend and make satisfaction.

Martyrology-September 24th
Roman Martyrology-September 24th- on this date in various years-

The feast of our Lady of Ransom, Foundress of the Order for the Redemption of Captives. The apparition of the same Blessed Virgin occurred on the 10th of August.

At Brescia, the death of St. Anathalo, bishop. He was a disciple of the blessed apostle Barnabas, and succeeded him as bishop of the Milanese church.

In Hungary, St. Gerard, bishop of Chzonad and martyr, patrician of Venice, called the apostle of the Hungarians. During a journey from the town of Chzonad to Alba Regalis he was attacked by the pagans near the river Danube, stoned by them, and then pierced with a lance. He was thus the first to adorn his native land with a noble martyrdom.

At Autun, the birthday of the holy martyrs Andochius, a priest, Thyrsus, a deacon, and Felix, who were sent from the East by blessed Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna, to preach in France. There they were severely scourged, hanged by the hands for a whole day, and cast into the fire. Remaining uninjured, they had their necks broken with heavy bars, and thus won a most glorious crown.

In Egypt, the holy martyrs Paphnutius and his companions. While leading a solitary life, St. Paphnutius heard that many Christians were kept in bonds. Moved by the spirit of God, he voluntarily offered himself to the prefect, and freely confessed the Christian faith. He was bound by him with iron chains, and for a long time tortured on the rack. Then, being sent with many others to Diocletian, by his order he was fastened to a palm tree, and the rest were struck with the sword.

At Chalcedon, under Emperor Diocletian, after the martyrdom of St. Euphemia, forty-nine holy martyrs who were condemned to be devoured by the beasts, but being miraculously delivered, were finally struck with the sword and went to heaven.

In Auvergne, the death of St. Rusticus, bishop and confessor.

In the diocese of Beauvais, St. Geremarus, priest and abbot.

At San Severino in Piceno, the death of St. Pacificus, priest and confessor of the Order of Friars Minor of St. Francis of the Reformed Observance. Illustrious for his great patience and his love of solitude, he was enrolled in the canon of the saints by Pope Gregory XVI.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2791 on: September 23, 2022, 04:19:18 PM »
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for September 24:

CHAPTER VI
Of the Practice of Silence

Let us do as saith the prophet: “I said,  I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue, I have placed a watch over my mouth; I became dumb and was silent, and held my peace even from good things.” Here the prophet sheweth that if we ought at times to refrain even from good words for the sake of silence, how much more ought we to abstain from evil words, on account of the punishment due to sin.

Therefore, on account of the importance of silence, let leave to speak be seldom granted even to perfect disciples,* although their conversation be good and holy and tending to edification; because it is written: “In much speaking thou shalt not avoid sin”; and elsewhere: “Death and life are in the power of the tongue.” For it becometh the master to speak and to teach, but it beseemeth the disciple to be silent and to listen. And therefore, if anything has to be asked of the Superior, let it be done with all humility and subjection of reverence. But as for buffoonery or idle words, such as move to laughter, we utterly condemn them in every place, nor do we allow the disciple to open his mouth in such discourse.

Martyrology-September 25th
Roman Martyrology-September 25th- on this date in various years-

At Emmaus, the birthday of blessed Cleophas, disciple of Christ. It is related that he was killed by the Jews for the confession of our Lord, and honourably buried in the same house in which he had entertained him.

At Amiens in France, in the persecution of Diocletian, blessed Firminus, bishop. Under the governor Rictiovarus, after many torments he suffered martyrdom by being beheaded.

At Rome, on the Claudian Way, under Emperor Antoninus, St. Herculanus, soldier and martyr, who was converted to Christ by the miracle wrought during the martyrdom of the blessed bishop Alexander. After enduring many torments he was put to the sword.

At Damascus, the holy martyrs Paul, his wife Tatta, and their sons Sabinian, Maximus, Rufus, and Eugene. Accused of professing the Christian religion, they were scourged and tortured in other ways until they gave up their souls unto God.

In Asia, the holy martyrs Bardomian, Eucarpus, and twenty-six others.

At Lyons in France, the death of St. Lupus, at one time an anchoret, but later a bishop.

At Auxerre, St. Anacharius, bishop and confessor.

At Blois in France, St. Solemnius, bishop of Chartres, renowned for miracles.

On the same day, St. Principius, bishop of Soissons, brother of the blessed bishop Remigius.

At Anagni, the holy virgins Aurelia and Neomisia.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2792 on: September 24, 2022, 09:19:36 AM »
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for September 25:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility

The Holy Scripture crieth out to us, brethren, saying: “Every one that exalteth himself shall be humbled, and he who humbleth himself shall be exalted.” In saying this, it teacheth us that all exaltation is a kind of pride, against which the prophet sheweth himself to be on his guard when he saith: “Lord, my heart is not exalted nor mine eyes lifted up; nor have I walked in great things, nor in wonders above me.” For why? “If I did not think humbly, but exalted my soul: like a child that is weaned from his mother, so wilt Thou requite my soul.” Whence, brethren, if we wish to arrive at the highest point of humility, and speedily to reach that heavenly exaltation to which we can only ascend by the humility of this present life, we must by our ever-ascending actions erect such a ladder * as that which Jacob beheld in his dream, by which the angels appeared to him descending and ascending. This descent and ascent signifieth nothing else than that we descend by self-exaltation and ascend by humility. And the ladder thus erected is our life in the world, which, if the heart be humbled, is lifted up by the Lord to heaven. The sides of the same ladder we understand to be our body and soul, in which our divine vocation hath placed various degrees of humility or discipline, which we must ascend.

Martyrology-September 26th
Roman Martyrology-September 26th- on this date in various years-

At Nicomedia, the birthday of the holy martyrs Cyprian and the virgin Justina. Under Emperor Diocletian and the governor Eutholmius, Justina suffered greatly for the faith of Christ, and thus converted Cyprian, who, while a magician, had endeavoured to bring her under the influence of his magical practices. She afterwards suffered martyrdom with him. Their bodies were exposed to the beasts, but were taken away in the night by some Christian sailors, and carried to Rome. They were subsequently taken into the Constantinian basilica, and buried near the baptistry.

At Rome, in the persecution of Diocletian, the holy martyr Callistratus and forty-nine other soldiers who endured martyrdom together. The companions of Callistratus were converted to Christ upon seeing him miraculously delivered from drowning in the sea, although he had been sewn up in a bag and thrown in.

At Bologna, St. Eusebius, bishop and confessor.

At Brescia, St. Vigilius, bishop.

In the Tuscan plain, the blessed Abbot Nilus, founder of the monastery of Grottaferrata, a man of eminent sanctity.

At Tiferno in Umbria, St. Amantius, a priest distinguished for the gift of miracles.

At Albano, St. Senator.

R. Thanks be to God.

The following users thanked this post: Instaurare omnia

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2793 on: September 25, 2022, 10:04:41 AM »
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for September 26:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The first degree of humility, then, is that a man, always keeping the fear of God before his eyes, avoid all forgetfulness; and that he be ever mindful of all that God hath commanded, bethinking himself that those who despise God will be consumed in hell for their sins, and that life everlasting is prepared for them that fear Him. And keeping himself at all times from sin and vice, whether of the thoughts, the tongue, the hands, the feet, or his own will, let him thus hasten to cut off the desires of the flesh.

Martyrology-September 27th
Roman Martyrology-September 27th- on this date in various years-

At Aegea, during the persecution of Diocletian, the birthday of the holy martyrs Cosmas and Damian, brothers. After miraculously overcoming many torments from bonds, imprisonment, fire, crucifixion, stoning, arrows, and from being cast into the sea, they were beheaded. With them are said to have suffered three brothers: Anthimus, Leontius, and Euprepius.

At Paris, the birthday of St. Vincent de Paul, priest and confessor, founder of the Congregation of the Mission and of the Sisters of Charity, an apostolic man and father to the poor. Pope Leo XIII appointed this saint as the heavenly patron before God of all charitable societies in the world which in any way whatever draw their origin from him. His feast is celebrated on the 19th of July.

At Byblos in Phoenicia, Bishop St. Mark, whom St. Luke calls John, and who was the son of that blessed Mary who is commemorated on the 29th of July.

At Milan, the holy bishop Caius, a disciple of the blessed apostle Barnabas, who passed calmly to rest after suffering severely in the persecution of Nero.

At Rome, St. Epicharis, wife of a senator, who was scourged with leaded whips and then struck with the sword in the persecution of Diocletian.

At Todi in Umbria, under the same Diocletian, the holy martyrs Fidentius and Terence.

At Cordova in Spain, the holy martyrs Adolph and John, brothers, who won the martyrs' crown in the Arabian persecution. Their sister, the blessed virgin Aurea, was inspired by their example to return to the faith and later bravely suffered martyrdom on the 19th of July.

At Sion in Switzerland, St. Florentius, martyr. After his tongue had been cut out, he was put to the sword with blessed Hilary.

At Ravenna, St. Aderitus, bishop and confessor.

At Paris, St. Eleazar, a count.

In Hainault, St. Hiltrude, virgin.

R. Thanks be to God.

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2794 on: Today at 09:00:52 AM »
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for September 27:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

Let him consider that he is always beheld from heaven by God, and that his actions are everywhere seen by the eye of the Divine Majesty, and are every hour reported to Him by His angels. This the prophet telleth us, when he sheweth how God is ever present in our thoughts, saying: “God searcheth the heart and the reins.” And again “The Lord knoweth the thoughts of men.” And he also saith: “Thou hast understood my thoughts afar off”; and “The thought of man shall confess to Thee.” In order, therefore, that he may be on his guard against evil thoughts, let the humble brother say ever in his heart: “Then shall I be unspotted before Him, if I shall have kept me from mine iniquity.”

Martyrology-September 28th
Roman Martyrology-September 28th- on this date in various years-

In Bohemia, St. Wenceslas, duke of Bohemia and martyr, renowned for holiness and miracles. Being murdered by the deceit of his brother, he went triumphantly to heaven.

At Rome, St. Privatus, martyr, who was cured of ulcers by blessed Pope Callistus. In the time of Emperor Alexander he was scourged to death with leaded whips for the faith of Christ.

In the same place, St. Stacteus, martyr.

In Africa, the Saints Martial, Lawrence, and twenty other martyrs.

At Antioch in Pisidia, the holy martyrs Mark, a shepherd, Alphius, Alexander, and Zosimus, his brothers; also Nicon, Neon, Heliodorus, and thirty soldiers, who were converted to Christ upon seeing the miracles of blessed Mark, and were crowned with martyrdom in different places and in diverse manners.

On the same day, under Emperor Decius, the martyrdom of St. Maximus.

At Toulouse, St. Exuperius, bishop and confessor. St. Jerome gives a memorable testimony of this blessed man, relating how severe he was towards himself and how liberal towards others.

At Genoa, St. Solomon, bishop and confessor.

At Brescia, St. Silvinus, bishop.

At Bethlehem of Juda, the holy virgin Eustochium, daughter of blessed Paula, who was brought up at the manger of our Lord with other virgins, and being celebrated for her merits, went to our Lord.

At Fulda near Mayence, St. Lioba, virgin, renowned for miracles.

R. Thanks be to God.