Unpopular Baby Names

Started by The Curt Jester, May 06, 2019, 04:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Curt Jester

I recently read on a secular website that among names that are plummeting in popularity, one of them is Francis. The site indicates that the Pope may have something to do with that.

I'm sure there's a huge drop among Trads at least.  My wife and I crossed it off the list as soon as we saw it in the A-Z name list.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Josephine87

I love Francesca but can't imagine using it because people might think as a Catholic I'm naming my child after the Pope.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Heinrich

Children's names anymore are an indication that we are in the end times. 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

clau clau

Perhaps France should changes it name too ... back to Gaul.

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

dolores

Quote from: Heinrich on May 06, 2019, 06:48:14 PM

On the margins, perhaps.  However, the top ten names for boys and girls in 2018 were actually pretty standard names (I won't go as far as "traditional" though):

Most Popular Girl Names of 2018

Sophia
    Olivia
    Emma
    Ava
    Isabella
    Aria
    Riley
    Amelia
    Mia
    Layla

Most Popular Boy Names of 2018

Jackson
    Liam
    Noah
    Aiden
    Caden
    Grayson
    Lucas
    Mason
    Oliver
    Elijah

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: dolores on May 07, 2019, 09:05:12 AM

On the margins, perhaps.  However, the top ten names for boys and girls in 2018 were actually pretty standard names (I won't go as far as "traditional" though):

Sophia
    Olivia
    Emma
    Ava
    Isabella
    Aria
    Riley
    Amelia
    Mia
    Layla

Jackson
    Liam
    Noah
    Aiden
    Caden
    Grayson
    Lucas
    Mason
    Oliver
    Elijah

Don't ruin the end times argument, please.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Gardener

Mason. End times confirmed.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

We are beyond Laquisha, Laquan, Hunter and Ashley(Ashlee, Ashlie, Ashleigh). I have known a Stryder, Blakelee, Dayshiano, Heaven, Exzyden, Isis, America, Asia, numerous "Rileys" for both boys and girls and the awkward iterations(spellings); Aurelia, Ebony, Delmonte, Velveeta, so on and so forth. Nomen est omen
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Josephine87

Quote from: Heinrich on May 07, 2019, 01:18:37 PM
We are beyond Laquisha, Laquan, Hunter and Ashley(Ashlee, Ashlie, Ashleigh). I have known a Stryder, Blakelee, Dayshiano, Heaven, Exzyden, Isis, America, Asia, numerous "Rileys" for both boys and girls and the awkward iterations(spellings); Aurelia, Ebony, Delmonte, Velveeta, so on and so forth. Nomen est omen

Aurelia is a great name.  i just saw "Versace" in the Houston newspaper today.  For a boy.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Maximilian

Sophia
    Olivia
    Emma
    Ava
    Isabella
    Aria
    Riley
    Amelia
    Mia
    Layla

Jackson
    Liam
    Noah
    Aiden
    Caden
    Grayson
    Lucas
    Mason
    Oliver
    Elijah

These lists reflect an interesting swing of the pendulum.

In the 1980's, all the girls were named Crystal and Brandy while the boys still had traditional names. Parents wanted trendy names for girls, but they maintained traditional names for boys. It was okay to give your girl a name like "Bambi," but boys needed to be serious at some point in life.

Today it is just reversed, as reflected in the list you provided. The girls names are serious like Emma and Sophie, but the boys all have made-up nonsense names like Cayden and Grayson.

Chestertonian

I've known some Catholics with trendy Catholic names.... Lots of benedicts when pope Benedict became pope... I had some friends who named their baby boys Fulton or August (For Augustine I guess)....kolbe
for girls I've heard of naming babies Flannery, nicaea,Siena...lots f Zelies and Giannas

My wife really wanted to name our last child Stella or Estelle if she was a girl...for our lady star of the sea
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

dolores

Quote from: Maximilian on May 07, 2019, 09:24:39 PM

Sophia
    Olivia
    Emma
    Ava
    Isabella
    Aria
    Riley
    Amelia
    Mia
    Layla

Jackson
    Liam
    Noah
    Aiden
    Caden
    Grayson
    Lucas
    Mason
    Oliver
    Elijah

These lists reflect an interesting swing of the pendulum.

In the 1980's, all the girls were named Crystal and Brandy while the boys still had traditional names. Parents wanted trendy names for girls, but they maintained traditional names for boys. It was okay to give your girl a name like "Bambi," but boys needed to be serious at some point in life.

Today it is just reversed, as reflected in the list you provided. The girls names are serious like Emma and Sophie, but the boys all have made-up nonsense names like Cayden and Grayson.

To an extent, I agree with you.  However, what's interesting is that, on the boys' side, half of the names would be unobjectionable from a traditional perspective (Liam, Noah, Lucas, Oliver & Elijah), although none of these were ever "popular" traditionally, at least as far as I am aware.  They existed and were fine names, but were few and far between historically.  I'm not sure what to make of that.

Maximilian

Quote from: dolores on May 10, 2019, 08:59:37 AM

on the boys' side, half of the names would be unobjectionable from a traditional perspective (Liam, Noah, Lucas, Oliver & Elijah),

Yes, some of the names are somewhat traditional, while none of them are in the calendar of saints.

On our 15-year old boys' baseball team, there are currently 4 Jacobs, which reflects the same trend you are pointing out. Jacob is a traditional name, but not a Christian name.

Then besides the 4 Jacobs, there's Bradyn and Garrett and Tyler and Cole and Landon and Cooper and Hunter. This is a very middle-of-the-road town which would not be on any of the extremes. Although they are silly made-up names, they are designed to be somewhat traditional sounding, as you pointed out.

Liam (from the list) and Kiernan (from the baseball team) are part of the pseudo-Celtic trend, which is a separate thing of its own. I have not encountered an Oliver in real life, but maybe that's a new trend that might become obvious at school in a few years.

Quote from: dolores on May 10, 2019, 08:59:37 AM

although none of these were ever "popular" traditionally, at least as far as I am aware. 

Yes, there is a desire to combine some elements of tradition with a unique twist. That exact combination of elements is encouraged by the baby-naming books.

Gardener

In all fairness, all names were at one time not traditional.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Chestertonian

I have a Samuel Elias but Samuel (shmuel)...Eli, Elijah, is traditional ifyoure Jewish.  Also Elijah is relevant if you have a devotion to our lady of mt carmel
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"