Your favorite old movies

Started by Jacob, June 18, 2021, 10:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

The Pink Panther fav>
I think its one of the latter one's, where Inspector Cluseau "dies" and he comes back to help crack the case. My favorite scenes were always the duels between he and Kato.
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghBY8dakqJ4[/yt]
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

red solo cup

Quote from: Jayne on June 19, 2021, 05:44:02 AM
Casablanca 1942

Roman Holiday 1953

These have the common theme of putting duty above romance, an idea almost lost in our time.

The Court Jester 1955  This is a Danny Kaye comedy that somehow just really appeals to my sense of humour.  This is my favourite scene:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ9f2rnjB84[/yt]
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Elizabeth.2

Night of the Hunter starring Robert Mitchum, 1955.

Jacob

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 19, 2021, 12:05:09 PM
"The Lord of Rings"; I love the books so much that I kept reading them until I got sick of them. All three movies are great; for me the best scene is the "Ride of the Rhohirim" unto Pellenor Fields, to help lift the siege of Minas Tirith.
Michael, are you really this young?  I had you pegged as older. :)

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 19, 2021, 12:23:06 PM
I think its one of the latter one's, where Inspector Cluseau "dies" and he comes back to help crack the case. My favorite scenes were always the duels between he and Kato.

My favorite is A Shot in the Dark.  The main theme just seems so appropriate for the content of the movie and the time period it came out.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Michael Wilson

I'm almost 66 years old (August); but young at heart.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jacob

Three more:

The Bridge on the River Kwai
Brit colonel leads his men to a Jap POW camp to build a bridge.  Obi Wan Kenobi won best actor.

This is a great movie.  It has great actors who give great performances. It has my mom's favorite actor, William Holden.  David Lean is a magnificent director.

[yt][/yt]

Lawrence of Arabia
Brit captain goes into the desert to take part in the Arab Revolt during WWI.  Peter O'Toole was snubbed.

Another great movie, maybe one of the greatest as far as cinematography.  It has great actors giving great performances, including Obi Wan Kenobi.  Peter O'Toole is brilliant as Lawrence.  Brighton is one of my favorite supporting characters in any movie.  Another David Lean triumph.

[yt][/yt]

Doctor Zhivago
Russian doctor makes his way through the early decades of Soviet Russia.

Zhivago is played by Omar Sharif, who plays Ali in Lawrence.  He is fine in this role.  Julie Christie and Geraldine Chaplin, Rod Steiger... The list of great actors in this movie just goes on and on.  And of course, Lara's Theme.  This movie would not be what it is without the score.  Yet another David Lean triumph!

[yt]https://youtu.be/Nn1eDT93H1Y?t=164[/yt]
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson