Privacy Phones and computers

Started by james03, January 21, 2021, 09:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy_Helene

Quote from: james03 on January 30, 2021, 12:39:47 AM
Attack surface?  Just admit you are an IT geek.

;D Well, it is a hobby of mine. But a lot of the strategies used in that field have taught me a thing or two about life, especially under our current circumstances.

james03

"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Lucy_Helene

Quote from: james03 on January 30, 2021, 03:52:16 PM
Are you able to help out with this, or is it outside your skills?

https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=25051.0

I think that's a bit over my head, unfortunately.

ralfy

Quote from: Lucy_Helene on January 29, 2021, 11:32:35 AM
You can try using Temporary Containers, which also allow you to set some "permanent" containers similar to the functionality of Multi-Account Containers. This way, if you want to open something and need a quick new container, you can create one just by clicking in the top right-hand corner. Once you delete the container, all the cookies isolated in that container are deleted, which eliminates the need for another add-on like Cookie Auto Delete. I say that because while privacy extensions are beneficial, there can be a trade-off if you use too many, as each one can potentially be compromised at some point, increasing your attack surface.

In place of temporary containers, I use a non-container with fake accounts. In place of Cookie Auto Delete, I was told to just modify some settings for cookies in about:config:

https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-privacy/

andy

"The darkest place is under the candlestick"

But, if you want to completely disappear from the radar, HAM radio mesh network for communication is probably a way to go.

Heinrich

Quote from: andy on January 31, 2021, 08:41:09 PM

But, if you want to completely disappear from the radar, HAM radio mesh network is for communication is probably way to go.

My unit comes in today. Any recommendations on study sites for basic user's license?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Heinrich on February 01, 2021, 07:05:54 AM
Quote from: andy on January 31, 2021, 08:41:09 PM

But, if you want to completely disappear from the radar, HAM radio mesh network is for communication is probably way to go.

My unit comes in today. Any recommendations on study sites for basic user's license?

Gonna keep an eye on  this.  I've been thinking about getting a ham radio.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Lambda Phage

Why Brave/Dissenter over the Tor Browser? What about DuckDuckGo's Browser?

Lucy_Helene

Quote from: Lambda Phage on February 06, 2021, 08:07:53 AM
What about DuckDuckGo's Browser?

One of the fundamental principles of operation security is not "putting all your eggs in one basket." If you're using DuckDuckGo as a search engine (which I'd still recommend only after something like SearX or Metager), then I would stay away from using it as a browser as well. I'm not denying that there is a use case for something like DDG browser, but that's for each person to evaluate for himself.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

diaduit

Ok, I downloaded that Tor on the list Lynne and entered daft.ie which is a property website for Ireland.  Asked me to accept cookies and adds popped into the page.  I'm a complete dope when it comes to tech but I thought that privacy browsers point was not to have cookies?? 

IF you use words like interface or flux capacitator  :D - I glaze over

Lynne

Quote from: diaduit on February 08, 2021, 03:38:13 AM
Ok, I downloaded that Tor on the list Lynne and entered daft.ie which is a property website for Ireland.  Asked me to accept cookies and adds popped into the page.  I'm a complete dope when it comes to tech but I thought that privacy browsers point was not to have cookies?? 

IF you use words like interface or flux capacitator  :D - I glaze over

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than I can answer...  :P

The link surprised me because I thought that Brave was a good/secure browser yet this link didn't think that it was.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

Can't help with the cookies.... .  I've been using Iridium browser, though.  Very easy to use
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Lambda Phage

Any opinions on GrapheneOS anyone?

I watched probably 8-10hrs of Braxman's channel this weekend, ha. Very interesting stuff, he keeps it very simple too. He has a video about LineageOS, which is what his phones come with. None of his phones are available though. He never mentioned GrapheneOS in any of his videos, so I'm curious how a phone with GrapheneOS would compare to one of his degoogled Lineage phones.