Has anyone here ever had to use the services of the HSLDA?

Started by Toribio, February 19, 2015, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toribio

Has anyone here ever had to use the services of the HSLDA?

Lynne

I have not but then, I didn't homeschool. I've heard nothing but good things about this organization.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

mara

I had their pay monthly plan for the 12 years I homeschooled my son. I called a few times for legal advice but never required legal representation.
It gave us a lot of peace of mind. The website helps people stay current on their state legislation, also.
I consider it money well spent. :-)

orate

I was a member of the HSLDA for a fair number of years when I home-schooled.  I whole-heartedly agree with mara.

They were very helpful when I first took my older children out of school and had the truant officer at my door.  They also provided legal advice when the school district wanted me to sign a form.  This was back in 1989, when far fewer people were home-schooling.  But I continued to pay for membership because the HSLDA lobbies to keep the laws in all the 50 states as un-intrusive as possible.
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Elizabeth

We have used their excellent services.  It was the best $100 per year we ever spent.  I can't recommend them highly enough. 

OCLittleFlower

I'm not a member because my children are young enough that we haven't joined yet.  But they did talk to me on the phone for about an hour, helping me with the laws in my state and with specific tips and tricks for homeschooling kids who are adopted from overseas and are learning English.  Thankfully, we have time for them to pick up the language before starting in with school work -- but we didn't know if that would be the case (we were open to children up to age 6).  We really wanted to have all our ducks in a row before our home study interviews -- and HSLDA really helped with that.

They also have resources beyond just the legal -- if your child has a learning disability or if you are having difficulty, they have people to help and advise you so you can give them the best education possible.  They will also help you get services if needed from the school district (such as speech therapy) or find resources independently.  They will also fight for the rights of home school students to participate in sports and other activities at the local schools -- even if not enrolled in school.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Elizabeth

They are a truly fine organization.  Glad to hear all of that, Little Flower.

Anastasia

We are members, and it's worth every penny. School officials can become threatening and scary for a homeschooling parent, even when it was simply that the district had lost our yearly paperwork.
People talk vaguely about the innocence of a little child, but they take mighty good care not to let it out of their sight for twenty minutes.-Saki.
"Meanwhile, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing glove. "
— P.G. Wodehouse

angelcookie

I haven't had to use their legal services but there was a time I thought I was going to need to use the service. The resources they provide are wonderful and I second it has been money well spent! I think it's a necessity. I kept it going when we took a short homeschool break to enroll in public school, but have since begun to homeschool again.

Sockpuppet

I know a number of people that work there. They work for little and are passionate about what they do. Not sure what more you could ask from a non-profit.