The Consoling Thoughts of St. Francis de Sales

Started by Bernadette, July 22, 2015, 08:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Non Nobis

Thank you!

I've become addicted to Kindle.  I haven't had much luck getting a decently formatted version of the book on Kindle (I did try archive.org's kindle download, and a different method as well).  The book is all there (I think) but many lines are broken in two.

I suppose I can practice resignation either by putting up with the formatting on Kindle, or reading the book on my laptop instead of Kindle. Anyone else have any other ideas?

I really have plenty of spiritual reading on my Kindle already, but I do love St. Francis de Sales. Actually I already have his "Introduction to the Devout  Life" on Kindle, but "Consoling Thoughts" might be easier to read a bit at a time.

Probably I just need to get more serious about my spiritual reading.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Pheo

Quote from: Non Nobis on July 24, 2015, 01:00:52 AMI've become addicted to Kindle.  I haven't had much luck getting a decently formatted version of the book on Kindle (I did try archive.org's kindle download, and a different method as well).  The book is all there (I think) but many lines are broken in two.

I just sent the .pdf file directly to my Kindle, and it looks decent.  Oddly enough some letters are missing though, but still readable.  Have you tried that?
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Pheo on July 25, 2015, 06:50:57 PM
Quote from: Non Nobis on July 24, 2015, 01:00:52 AMI've become addicted to Kindle.  I haven't had much luck getting a decently formatted version of the book on Kindle (I did try archive.org's kindle download, and a different method as well).  The book is all there (I think) but many lines are broken in two.

I just sent the .pdf file directly to my Kindle, and it looks decent.  Oddly enough some letters are missing though, but still readable.  Have you tried that?

Thank you!

So, do you mean copy ("side-load") the pdf file directly to the kindle drive without conversion? Or send via email with "convert" as the subject line?  Or?

I copied it directly to the drive and the result is legible but I can't change the font size (or search, I think).

I think what I have is useable, though.

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Bernadette

Quote from: Non Nobis on July 24, 2015, 01:00:52 AM
Thank you!

I've become addicted to Kindle.  I haven't had much luck getting a decently formatted version of the book on Kindle (I did try archive.org's kindle download, and a different method as well).  The book is all there (I think) but many lines are broken in two.

I suppose I can practice resignation either by putting up with the formatting on Kindle, or reading the book on my laptop instead of Kindle. Anyone else have any other ideas?

I really have plenty of spiritual reading on my Kindle already, but I do love St. Francis de Sales. Actually I already have his "Introduction to the Devout  Life" on Kindle, but "Consoling Thoughts" might be easier to read a bit at a time.

What I do when I really want a good copy of a book, is convert it to .txt format via Calibre, and then open the .txt file with Microsoft Notepad and edit it. Than convert the saved .txt back to kindle format. It's time-consuming, but so satisfying.  :lol:
My Lord and my God.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Bernadette on July 26, 2015, 03:22:36 PM
Quote from: Non Nobis on July 24, 2015, 01:00:52 AM
Thank you!

What I do when I really want a good copy of a book, is convert it to .txt format via Calibre, and then open the .txt file with Microsoft Notepad and edit it. Than convert the saved .txt back to kindle format. It's time-consuming, but so satisfying.  :lol:

Thanks.

I've used Calibre just once and it did what I needed.  But the last 2 or 3 times I tried to start it my computer completely froze before any window came up (I needed to press power button).  I'm sure it's some system configuration problem. But I am not sure how much time I want to spend with google and my freezing computer to try and fix it!  (It sounds like you may have more patience than I do!)

Bernadette

Quote from: Non Nobis on July 27, 2015, 10:46:11 PM

Thanks.

I've used Calibre just once and it did what I needed.  But the last 2 or 3 times I tried to start it my computer completely froze before any window came up (I needed to press power button).  I'm sure it's some system configuration problem. But I am not sure how much time I want to spend with google and my freezing computer to try and fix it!  (It sounds like you may have more patience than I do!)

I'd uninstall it, if I were you, and install the latest version. It seems like there's an updated version every other week!
My Lord and my God.

Pheo

Quote from: Non Nobis on July 26, 2015, 12:34:33 AM
So, do you mean copy ("side-load") the pdf file directly to the kindle drive without conversion? Or send via email with "convert" as the subject line?  Or?

Yep, putting it directly onto your Kindle's storage from your computer has the same effect, but you can also just email it (without anything in the subject line) to get the original file.

The missing letters I mentioned earlier have something to do with the way the .pdf file was created, and I haven't found a great workaround for that yet, but hopefully it hasn't been too much of an issue.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.