Bad week for El Presidente

Started by Heinrich, December 20, 2018, 09:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Quote from: Lambda Phage on January 04, 2019, 06:01:19 AM
I don't want to tell because there are few of me.

I'd take either.

An officer that actually works instead of delegating it to an NCO?

:laugh:
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Gardener on January 03, 2019, 09:16:38 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 03, 2019, 06:36:46 PM
I lived in Florida for 27 years; I loved it there; you accept the fact that there are fire ants, giant prehistoric Cockroaches, Alligators and Crocodiles; Pythons; Hurricanes; tropical depressions; it just seems "normal"; but the real killer at least for me, is the traffic. After living here in St. Marys and driving in Topeka, I could never go back and fight the S. Fla. Traffic again.

I grew up in Florida and my wife was all worried that the heat/humidity of Oklahoma would be bothersome to me since I like the weather in CO. I found a website which shows heat/humidity/heat index over the year by zip code. Once she saw in graphical form what I grew up in, she understood why I laughed when she raised the objection.
Re. Hot & humid:
When our family lived in El Salvador, our school year would end in the end of October, so we would vacation in Miami (Key Biscayne) in November. The weather was warm (for us), we swam in the Ocean; the locals thought we were crazy, Floridians do not go into the water after Labor Day, too cold! And the place was a paradise. When our family moved back to the U.S. We arrived in Miami International Airport on July 3; the doors from the Airport opened to the outside air, and all of a sudden we were hit in the face with this hot-humid stifling mass of air; we were dying! What in the world is this!? The first couple of Summers in Miami were real killers for us. But you get used to it (you have no choice).
Ps. We never wet swimming after Labor Day, too cold. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

King Wenceslas

I see the poop storm has already started:

QuoteDemocratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib fled from reporters asking about her statement that she would help Democrats "impeach the mother****er" in reference to President Trump.

"If you're unapologetic about your comments, Congresswoman, why not talk to us?" asked journalists

.@RashidaTlaib would not address her comment last night that she wants to "impeach the mother***cker" pic.twitter.com/NgEyN7znmq
— Bo Erickson (@BoKnowsNews) January 4, 2019
After her comments went viral, Tlaib doubled down, defending her remarks in a Thursday morning op-ed, and stating that she was "elected to shake up Washington, not continue the status quo."

Rashida Tlaib's office buckles down on the "impeach the mother***ker" comments in statement: pic.twitter.com/yikr61eMK0
— Lissandra Villa (@LissandraVilla) January 4, 2019
Apparently defending herself in front of cameras is a bit too much for someone elected to shake things up.

Addressing Tlaib's comments during a Friday afternoon press conference, President Trump said "I thought her comments were disgraceful...I think she dishonored herself, and I think she dishonored her family."

President Trump on Rep. Rashida Tlaib's call to 'impeach that motherf*****': "I thought her comments were disgraceful...I think she dishonored herself, and I think she dishonored her family." pic.twitter.com/HxzZr2cF1i
— Axios (@axios) January 4, 2019

Just think two more years of this diversity. Hay Nancy how are you going to hold it together?

Prayerful

That coarse, potty-mouthed Arab woman seems representative of the diverse side of US political radicalism, although unlike a certain livestreaming drinker, she doesn't pretend to have the heritage of another.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Gardener on January 03, 2019, 04:18:47 AM
Omaha has a military presence which we aren't keen on. In general, Nebraska doesn't have much going for it.

Blue - Institute. God bless them, but I'm not so enamored with them as to drag my family to what is effectively southern Canada. We looked at the search criteria with Latin Mass in mind, but also with day to day providing and other factors. Wisconsin was never on the list, Latin Mass notwithstanding.

Water - No problem in eastern Oklahoma. There's a reason they don't have basements, generally. A lot of rural properties have creeks, etc. We will seek a property with a well. As for water quality, eh. Anything can happen.

Texas - Despite the loud protestations in their favor, Texas sucks. My brothers live in Texas as do my parents. I'd never live there. The property taxes are insane. Property prices, for that matter, are insane. Unless they're not, and then there's a legitimate reason.

Homeschooling laws - best we have found based on my wife's comprehensive research:
Oklahoma
Idaho
Missouri
Texas
Michigan

Fracking - if James isn't concerned, I'm not concerned. The people in the industry don't seem bothered. If anyone thought they were on a geological timebomb, I'd suspect they'd get out.

Tornadoes - They occur many places. Colorado too.

Earthquakes - Stuff happens. I'm not concerned.

Climate change issues - the climate changes -- granted. I don't buy anthropomorphic climate change. I am not sure on predictions, and I'm not concerned with what may be in 30 years. A prediction, as far as climate, is hard to say. A few decades ago we were to enter another ice age. Now it's global warming. What if Yellowstone blows? Or the Pacific ring of fire goes bonkers and ash clouds throw us into a cooling period beyond whatever we may be entering? Who knows.

Oklahoma Latin Mass - In Tulsa, they have the FSSP and a Diocesan option. SSPX was there, but isn't any longer. OKC has SSPX and FSSP. If we live near Tulsa, anywhere from 20-45 minutes. I'm hesitant to take a job in Bartlesville since there are only a few employers there of any considerable measure. In the Tulsa area, I can hop to a different company with little impact on drive time. If I set roots in Bartlesville, and end up having to accept a job in Tulsa due to lack of local positions... that would suck. However, I'm willing to consider Bartlesville and drive further for Mass IF and only IF I get into a good ole boy style position where I'd have to poop on the CEO's desk to get fired.

Gardener, thank you so much for the detailed reply. I appreciate it.  :thumbsup:

You are right, I forgot to mention Missouri as a good place to homeschool. I believe that they do not require any reporting to the state.
I figured that Michigan was ok, since Carleen Diane was able to homeschool all of her children there.

Are you planning on also attending Clear Creek Abbey?
Would it be close enough?
Is it an active community of trads?  Have a lot of trad families moved there like with Idaho?

Oh, I forgot to mention, not sure if you are aware of this. But, Oklahoma has something new, that if you can prove
that you are bringing your job with you, they will give you $10,000. It is for people working remotely, and you can get
good rates on office space, if you wanted to lease an office nearby.

"Money from each grant will be distributed throughout the course of one year. Participants will receive an initial $2,500 for relocation expenses, a $500 monthly stipend and a final payout of $1,500 once the program is completed."

"By enticing young professionals to stay for at least one year, the city hopes that newcomers will decide to remain in Tulsa long term and shape the community by starting new businesses, launching non-profits or even running for political office, says Ken Levit, an executive director at the George Kaiser Family Foundation, a group that works to tackle pressing issues in the Tulsa community and is partnering with the city on this initiative."

"Tulsa Remote began accepting applications today. To be eligible, applicants must provide proof of employment, be 18 or older, work for a business that's based outside of Tulsa County, and pledge to move to and live in Tulsa for a minimum of one year."

"Tulsa joins a growing list of U.S. cities looking to attract young professionals, a list that includes: Baltimore, Maryland; St. Clair County, Michigan; and Marquette, Kansas."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/13/tulsa-oklahoma-will-pay-you-10000-to-move-there-and-work-from-home.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2018/11/13/this-city-will-pay-you-10000-to-move-there-and-thats-not-all/#2593d11e7001

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-us-city-is-paying-people-more-than-10000-just-to-move-there-2018-11-14

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tulsa-oklahoma-will-pay-you-10000-to-move-there-but-theres-a-catch/

http://fortune.com/2018/11/14/tulsa-remote-worker-offer/

Gardener

There is an active Trad community.

Clear Creek would be close enough to visit, but we wouldn't attempt to live near enough that we would treat the Abbey like a parish, cus it's not. I don't buy into the literal view of the Benedict option, so called. The monks are there to be monks, not parish priests. At any time, if it gets out of hand, Abbot Anderson could put the kibosh on its present state and be fully within his rights and duties as Abbot.

I don't have a remote position and at this point in my career am not sure I'd seek one.  As such the 10k offer wouldn't apply to me.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lambda Phage

Quote from: Gardener on January 04, 2019, 06:47:57 AM
Quote from: Lambda Phage on January 04, 2019, 06:01:19 AM
I don't want to tell because there are few of me.

I'd take either.

An officer that actually works instead of delegating it to an NCO?

:laugh:
Haha, oh you have no idea. Medical is not like the rest of the military, in many ways.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Lambda Phage

Haha, sorry to disappoint but I'm like the opposite of that.

AMEDD is about as non-elite as you can get. It's like one tier below the United States Coast Guard, and one tier above the United States Postal Service... But two tiers above the Air Force.

Here in theater I don't really belong to anyone. I just fall under the regional unit.

I'm a specific type of doctor, I'll leave it at that. I get to work with a lot of other people, but the Army wants me to stay alive, so I don't get to kick down doors... I wouldn't know how to anyway. :lol:

Gardener

Quote from: Lambda Phage on January 05, 2019, 11:53:23 AM
Haha, sorry to disappoint but I'm like the opposite of that.

AMEDD is about as non-elite as you can get. It's like one tier below the United States Coast Guard, and one tier above the United States Postal Service... But two tiers above the Air Force.

Here in theater I don't really belong to anyone. I just fall under the regional unit.

I'm a specific type of doctor, I'll leave it at that. I get to work with a lot of other people, but the Army wants me to stay alive, so I don't get to kick down doors... I wouldn't know how to anyway. :lol:

Task: Kick open door
Condition: Given a closed door and a motivated soldier
Standard: Door opens

Having examined the door for signs of booby trapping and finding none:

In a violent, yet fluid, motion, engage with the leg (preferably stronger one) that would result in the hyperextension of the knee were it not for the obstacle providing resistance. Aiming for the area near the lock, ensure the foot is in a slight position of plantar flexion. Just prior to end of normal motion, rapidly meet the obstacle (door) with the combined metatarsals as padded by a vibram rubber boot sole, and engage the foot in dorsiflexion until the motion is followed through by the meeting of the obstacle with the calcaneus (again, padded by a vibram rubber boot sole) to "follow through" with the motion.

Alternatively, while wearing 3M double flange ear plugs, apply C4-plastique to key areas of the door (hinges and locks), and blow the door from its structural position. Later, fail a hearing test due to defective ear protection and an overabundance of applied C4.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Gardener on January 04, 2019, 09:40:06 PM

Clear Creek would be close enough to visit, but we wouldn't attempt to live near enough that we would treat the Abbey like a parish, cus it's not. I don't buy into the literal view of the Benedict option, so called. The monks are there to be monks, not parish priests. At any time, if it gets out of hand, Abbot Anderson could put the kibosh on its present state and be fully within his rights and duties as Abbot.

I don't have a remote position and at this point in my career am not sure I'd seek one.  As such the 10k offer wouldn't apply to me.

Thanks, Gardener,  :thumbsup: I really appreciate your detailed explanations. Best of wishes to you & yours as you explore the area. It would be great if you could give us an account of your scouting visit upon your return.

Do you have an idea of how many Trad families live in the area?

God bless  :pray1: 

Gardener

Quote from: Christe Eleison on January 06, 2019, 07:20:51 PM
Quote from: Gardener on January 04, 2019, 09:40:06 PM

Thanks, Gardener,  :thumbsup: I really appreciate your detailed explanations. Best of wishes to you & yours as you explore the area. It would be great if you could give us an account of your scouting visit upon your return.

Do you have an idea of how many Trad families live in the area?

God bless  :pray1:

Enough to previously support an SSPX chapel, FSSP, and Diocesan TLM.

SSPX is apparently no longer there, so FSSP and Diocesan TLM.

Archer

Quote from: Lambda Phage on January 05, 2019, 11:53:23 AM

Hey hey, was that really necessary?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Gardener

A former Coastie is coming over soon to do our house blessing for Epiphany.

They do some pretty intense assignments, depending on location. Drug interdiction is no joke.

Gardener