To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessean

Christe Eleison

Jolie Môme - La vie en rose (Édith Piaf)
I love the sound of the French language.  ;D
And this song is so pretty. The original version as well as this newer one.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 10, 2021, 08:20:50 PMJolie Môme - La vie en rose (Édith Piaf)

I love the sound of it, too.  And I really like that song but haven't heard it (the original) in a while.  I enjoyed that version, Christe E., thank you for posting it!

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on July 10, 2021, 09:00:51 PM
Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 10, 2021, 08:20:50 PMJolie Môme - La vie en rose (Édith Piaf)

I love the sound of it, too.  And I really like that song but haven't heard it (the original) in a while.  I enjoyed that version, Christe E., thank you for posting it!

Hey, my friend  :)
Thanks for your post  ;D 
You are welcome, Lydia. I am glad that you liked it.
So, I guess that we are in the same boat. French is such a beautiful language.
I really love it.
I was supposed to run away from home, get on a plane & fly to Paris as a child, but that did not work out, LOL
We are going to have to convince our dear Fleur to send us some of her French knowledge via osmosis  ;)

And this song just makes you feel like you are dreaming & living in France  ;D
But, even if I lived in France, this song would still make me stop & day dream  ;)
Here is the older version, I love how you can hear the crackling sound of the record playing, so cool  ;)

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 10, 2021, 10:12:51 PMI was supposed to run away from home, get on a plane & fly to Paris as a child, but that did not work out, LOL
We are going to have to convince our dear Fleur to send us some of her French knowledge via osmosis  ;)

Well, I'm very sorry that plan didn't work out so well for you as a child (how could it not work out?!). LOL.  For any French knowledge Fleur ever cares to impart (via osmosis or otherwise), I'll be grateful.  :)

QuoteAnd this song just makes you feel like you are dreaming & living in France  ;D
But, even if I lived in France, this song would still make me stop & day dream  ;)
Here is the older version, I love how you can hear the crackling sound of the record playing, so cool  ;)

Thanks for posting that original version, it's a great one indeed.  I almost wrote a little something about the daydream inducing aspect/effect of the song the other night when I posted -- I like how you described it here.  (Sidenote: one of my sons heard me playing the video and he said very matter-of-factly, "I like Louis Armstrong's version better."  ::)  :lol:  I didn't realize he had such a strong opinion on it! Haha.... I do like that one too, though.)

My apologies for not seeing/replying to this earlier than this evening.  My Dad actually had a stroke over the weekend.  (I should add that he's thankfully okay and doing pretty well, though.)

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on July 13, 2021, 07:31:38 PM
My Dad actually had a stroke over the weekend.  (I should add that he's thankfully okay and doing pretty well, though.)

Oh, no! That is so scary! I'm glad that he is doing (relatively) well. Prayers for him and for you, Lydia!  :pray3:

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on July 13, 2021, 07:31:38 PM
Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 10, 2021, 10:12:51 PMI was supposed to run away from home, get on a plane & fly to Paris as a child, but that did not work out, LOL

Well, I'm very sorry that plan didn't work out so well for you as a child (how could it not work out?!). LOL.  For any French knowledge Fleur ever cares to impart (via osmosis or otherwise), I'll be grateful.  :)

QuoteAnd this song just makes you feel like you are dreaming & living in France  ;D

Thanks for posting that original version, it's a great one indeed.  I almost wrote a little something about the daydream inducing aspect/effect of the song the other night when I posted -- I like how you described it here.  (Sidenote: one of my sons heard me playing the video and he said very matter-of-factly, "I like Louis Armstrong's version better."  ::)  :lol:  I didn't realize he had such a strong opinion on it! Haha.... I do like that one too, though.)

My apologies for not seeing/replying to this earlier than this evening.  My Dad actually had a stroke over the weekend.  (I should add that he's thankfully okay and doing pretty well, though.)

Oh, LYDIA, no need to apologize. You are too kind.
I am so sorry that you & your family had a tough weekend.  :grouphug:

And like Fleur, just stated in her post, it must have been a very scary event.
I am glad that he is recovering from it all.
Prayers for your entire family  :pray2: Prayers for your Dad for a speedy recovery. :pray3:
Best of wishes for your Dad & family.

Here is a link for your son. I originally had one where he is performing it live, but I cannot find it. As soon as I locate it, I will post it for him. He has great taste  ;)
I guess he gets that from his Momma  ;D

mikemac

Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 13, 2021, 08:16:51 PM

That is where I know the tune from.  I couldn`t figure it out until you posted this Christe Eleison.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Christe Eleison

Quote from: mikemac on July 13, 2021, 10:01:21 PM

That is where I know the tune from.  I couldn`t figure it out until you posted this Christe Eleison.

Mike, when they play songs in a different language, it can throw you off a bit  ;) These different versions are great in their own way. I hope that you enjoyed them all. :)

Christe Eleison

If you love the sound of different languages, this band is pretty amazing:

"Carte Blanche" transports its audiences to times gone by with original renditions of classic songs in 7 languages - English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Yiddish.
This video features a mix of the group's most popular songs including their arrangements of jazz standards, French chansons, Bossa Nova, Cumbia, Cuban son, and original compositions.

Song List:

1) Fly Me To The Moon - Bart Howard
2) Milord - Marguerite Monnot
3) No Me Busques - Chico Trujillo
4) Old Fashioned Morphine - Jolie Holland
5) Sympathique - Pink Martini
6) God Bless The Child - Billie Holiday and Arthur Herzog Jr.
7) Chan Chan - Compay Segundo
8) C'est Juste Un Tango - Kate Dunphy
9) Love For Sale - Cole Porter
10) Preciso Me Encontrar - Cartola
11) Corcovado (Quiet Nights) - Antonio Carlos Jobim

mikemac

Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 13, 2021, 10:23:08 PM
Quote from: mikemac on July 13, 2021, 10:01:21 PM

Mike, when they play songs in a different language, it can throw you off a bit  ;) These different versions are great in their own way. I hope that you enjoyed them all. :)

Yeah the two French versions of the song were very nice.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Tennessean

Vetus Ordo

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 15, 2021, 06:16:13 PM
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaT2fvFm-So[/yt]

Watching these old videos, we see just how much political discourse in our day has degenerated compared to the eloquent wisdom of Mr. Salazar.