To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly Grue

Oh, no, not that one. Only the cute ones about star men and alligators and whatnot.
It would be the last unicorn in the world who came to Molly Grue.

Molly Grue

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 28, 2015, 09:20:26 PM
Don't forget, though, Molly, that the pretty things in that song were "driving their mamas and papas insane."

Yeah, yeah. You caught that.
It would be the last unicorn in the world who came to Molly Grue.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 28, 2015, 09:04:54 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on May 28, 2015, 07:05:40 PM
yes i would say that this problem began before the 60s

syaye sponsored compulsory education creates an environment by its very nature that puts children in a different world than their parents.  instead of seeing their family as their "tribe" they identify with the peer group.  siblings go off into their own worlds.

then adolescence happens and parents go "who is this strange being living in my house with strange friends listening to strange music"

If your opinion, Chestertonian, is that the actual problem is with public and parochial schools, then I guess your solution is not that rock music should be avoided, but rather that everyone should homeschool their kids and inculcate a firm sense of the family as a tribe.  (And to think that the early critics of rock n' roll condemned it for its "tribalism."  I guess they were thinking more along the lines of naked savages dancing around a bonfire).  But anyway, good luck with that.  Something tells me it won't work.  I think peer groups are fairly important for kids.  And I don't think rock succeeded because families and schools were lame.  Give it some credit.  It succeeded because rock music is really alluring.  And I mean the whole scene.  The haze of pot smoke and incense; the spangling patterns of lava lamps on the walls; the drone of the sitar and the hypnotic bass line; Hendrix leaning on the wah-wah pedal; girls with cool haircuts and immodest fashions.  When John Lennon remarked that the Beatles were more popular with kids than Jesus, he was actually just saying out loud a fact parents and educators were already privy to.  Hands were already being wrought over that.  "And now it's all this."

yeah... while i did not live to see the sitars lava lamps etc

i do know what you. mean

i don't think that homeschooling in the current cultural context is a sure antidote to getting caught up in youthculture if that's what you think I think

but before teens were expected to spend a significant part of their waking lives with their immediate peer group generally they were too busy helping their parents and families.

music also became commodified and recordings (and the devices to play them) were easier to obtain.  before recorded music if you wanted music you had to make it. 

i like the fact that in my family we still have time where we gather around the piano and sing together because it's OK to be a dork

now music is everywhere and you  have to go to any effort to produce it
. you can stream almost anything your heart desires off the internet you don't even  have to tape it off the radio, or hunt it down in arecord store

kind of like how sugar used to be mad expensive.  getting to eat candy was a big deal because it was afinite resource... not like now.  sugar is everywhere, it's in everything and it's cheap.  many people have trouble resisting its alldse
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Maximilian

Quote from: Molly Grue on May 28, 2015, 09:20:58 PM

Oh, no, not that one. Only the cute ones about star men and alligators and whatnot.

They're all about that if you listen closely.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 28, 2015, 09:28:25 PMi don't think that homeschooling in the current cultural context is a sure antidote to getting caught up in youthculture if that's what you think I think

but before teens were expected to spend a significant part of their waking lives with their immediate peer group generally they were too busy helping their parents and families.

music also became commodified and recordings (and the devices to play them) were easier to obtain.  before recorded music if you wanted music you had to make it. 

i like the fact that in my family we still have time where we gather around the piano and sing together because it's OK to be a dork

now music is everywhere and you  have to go to any effort to produce it
. you can stream almost anything your heart desires off the internet you don't even  have to tape it off the radio, or hunt it down in arecord store

kind of like how sugar used to be mad expensive.  getting to eat candy was a big deal because it was afinite resource... not like now.  sugar is everywhere, it's in everything and it's cheap.  many people have trouble resisting its alldse

That's why I brought up the Index of Forbidden Books earlier.  The situations are somewhat analogous.  Before the printing press, books had to be copied by hand, a fairly laborious process that went a certain way to hindering the spread of heretical ideas.  And recording is to music what the Guttenberg press was to writing.  And you're right, music is at everyone's fingertips now, thanks to the internet.  Even a homeschooled kid can find David Bowie so long as YouTube isn't locked down on parental controls.  To return to the problem, though, the question is whether rock music is as comparably dangerous as, say, literature that contains anti-Catholic or lascivious themes.  At least you've conceded it has an alluring scene.

Maximilian

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 28, 2015, 09:39:47 PM

To return to the problem, though, the question is whether rock music is as comparably dangerous as, say, literature that contains anti-Catholic or lascivious themes.

Much more dangerous.
The function served by the musical aspect is to inject the contents right into our soul.
Reading bad books is like smoking pot.
Bad music is like mainlining.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

MilesChristi

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 28, 2015, 09:46:36 PM
what's mainlining

Injecting Heroin straight into the Carotid artery, thus ensuring the drug goes straight to the brain and gives an almost instant high.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: MilesChristi on May 29, 2015, 02:55:37 AM
Quote from: Chestertonian on May 28, 2015, 09:46:36 PM
what's mainlining

Injecting Heroin straight into the Carotid artery, thus ensuring the drug goes straight to the brain and gives an almost instant high.

Ahh, brings back memories of my youth.

kidding .

As an aside, for anyone who likes electronic music, especially for studying, here's a mash up of something like 450 hours of the stuff with very little lyrics.

https://soundcloud.com/thissiteisokay/sets/study-grind
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Gardener

Great rendition of "The Gael", primarily on Irish low whistle.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCKb2Ch2HTc[/yt]

Very clean recording. Hard to do with whistles.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Arun

Quote from: Maximilian on May 28, 2015, 09:45:20 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 28, 2015, 09:39:47 PM

To return to the problem, though, the question is whether rock music is as comparably dangerous as, say, literature that contains anti-Catholic or lascivious themes.

Much more dangerous.
The function served by the musical aspect is to inject the contents right into our soul.
Reading bad books is like smoking pot.
Bad music is like mainlining.

Interestingly enough, one of the intial people to introduce the marijuana plant to NZ and cultivate it, as well as prepare medicinal extracts of it for commercial sale, was Mother Mary Joseph Aubert - foundress of the Sisters of Compassion. her cause, from what i hear, has been advancing too; you'd better get writing a stern denouncement of her drug addled heresies quickly before it's too late. after all, what would she know of the Faith compared to sucha s yourself?

regarding music; literature is far more dangerous. it is purposely designed to affect the way we think. when it comes to music, not so much. we're not dimwitted naive little bunny rabbits who must be scared of everything in case it influences us one way or tjhe other. that's idiocy. it is basically ane xtension of that attitude some mad trads have where they walk around acting always happy all the tiome because any other emotional experiences are scary and might be negative. and then they end up driving themselves crazy with depression inside of their own heads, all the while striving harder and harder to keep up appearances. it's stupid and harmful. a lot more harmful than listening to a song. we know the sources of the songs, we know what those people are about. it doesn't mean we can't informedly and awarely enjoy the music they have made. we enjoy media in all forms from all kinds of non-Catholic, secular sources without allowing any undue anti-Catholic subtle hidden messages to affect us and music is no different.

watch this clip (just once, humour me):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1mp5zxZQI[/yt]

can you honestly tell me you believe any trad anywhere would watch/listen to that and then become influenced to pursue a career in drug dealing, for example? really? no, man. no f$%#ing way.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

piabee