New Blackberry

Started by james03, June 01, 2013, 07:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

Seems like a great phone.  Has a screen keyboard.  Another version with the traditional manual keyboard is coming out in a few weeks.

It runs with the QNX operating system, which makes it highly battery efficient.  That's nice.  I don't have one.  Anyone get one yet?
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Jayne

My husband usually has the about-to-be-released Blackberry (he's a software designer for them and is pretty much a beta-tester), so he either just had it or might still have it.  Which one do you mean?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Hrm.  I've "heard"/read that RIM/Blackberry is having issues, that primarily businesses (and businessmen) are the demographic keeping the company floating, thanks to the prevalence of the Apple/Android. 

My dad likes his old Blackberry, but I am a bigger fan of Android.  I think the Blackberry is a bit too restrictive.  But I guess that's neither here nor there. 

What's the new BB like?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

james03

This is entirely different.  I don't know what they call it, but believe it is the BB10.  It is just like an Android or Iphone.  Also, it runs Andorid apps, though I think you have to make a conversion.  The Q10 is coming out in a few weeks and trades some of the screen space for a keyboard.  Main benefit is battery life.

Jayne,
If your hubby wants to make some money, look at an office file server that is already configured to take advantage of the extremely secure QNX VPN.  Sell them to small businesses and they get out-of-the-box VPN.  You can probably package one up running Slackware with maybe 1 TB of RAID disk space for about $500 or less.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

OCLittleFlower

I'm looking at the Q10.  I'm annoyed that the trackpad mouse will be going bye-bye, though, since I'm not a fan of touch screens.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Graham

I have a Z10. I like it, but have nothing with which to compare, it's my first cell phone in years. People tell me that the resolution is crisp.

Jayne

Quote from: james03 on June 02, 2013, 11:58:16 AM
This is entirely different.  I don't know what they call it, but believe it is the BB10.  It is just like an Android or Iphone.  Also, it runs Andorid apps, though I think you have to make a conversion.  The Q10 is coming out in a few weeks and trades some of the screen space for a keyboard.  Main benefit is battery life.

My husband has the Q10 with the keyboard.  I was taking a closer look at it  because of this thread (I usually ignore his BBs) and I liked it.  I haven't gotten a new BB in ages because I have not liked the keyboard designs.  They have finally produced one that I am considering getting.  My husband was joking that this is a historic occasion.

Quote from: james03 on June 02, 2013, 11:58:16 AM
Jayne,
If your hubby wants to make some money, look at an office file server that is already configured to take advantage of the extremely secure QNX VPN.  Sell them to small businesses and they get out-of-the-box VPN.  You can probably package one up running Slackware with maybe 1 TB of RAID disk space for about $500 or less.

I am just going to pass that on verbatim because I have no clue what it meant.  :)
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.