TLM Shutdown

Started by Heinrich, January 19, 2024, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awkward customer

Quote from: james03 on February 01, 2024, 11:49:10 AMMetric is clown world.

For drawings you have to use either the meter or the millimeter.  For flow rates you have to use cubic meters, way too big.  For pressure you have to use the tiny kilopascal or the enormous megapascal.  A lot of people have given up and use the non-standard "bar".  Metric is gay.

The only good units are centigrade (Fahrenheit is probably too fine) and viscosity, though you are supposed to use "Poise", the standard is to use "centipoise".

What's wrong with centimetres?

Okay, so you've gone all technical on me.  But for the majority of situations, such as building and architectural drawings, metric is just fine and so much simpler.

And why have freezing point at 32F?  No doubt there are extremely technical situations where it might be necessary for some obscure reason.  But for day to day situations, it's just daft.

Besides, your money is metric.  If you really wanted to go all Imperial, you'd choose pounds, shillings and pence, not to mention, threepenny coins, sixpenny coins, shillings and half-crowns.  Then there's guineas, of course, and florins to consider.

james03

The reason why the British created the British Imperial Units is because they made sense.  Even on the small scale when you machine you use mils.  And you can use inches, feet, yards, rods, or miles, depending on the job.  The pressure unit is the PSI, which doesn't have really big numbers with a lot of zeros (kilopascal), or real small units with a lot of zeros after the decimal point (megapascal).

I believe zero F is the triple point of water.  I've already said I think metric wins on temperature because Fahrenheit appears to be too fine.  Do we really need to compare 62°F with 63°F?
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Mushroom

I don't like how the grocery stores (in Canada)display pounds and kg and my head hurts trying to compare the two. E.g. pears are $3/lb but grapes in a container are $7 for 907g.

But when we talk about weight, isn't that usually in lbs? The British use "stone" which Canadians don't use.

Baking instructions on processed food items usually use F but can display both.

Heinrich

Quote from: awkward customer on February 01, 2024, 01:21:03 PM

For drawings you have to use either the meter or the millimeter.  For flow rates you have to use cubic meters, way too big.  For pressure you have to use the tiny kilopascal or the enormous megapascal.  A lot of people have given up and use the non-standard "bar".  Metric is gay.

The only good units are centigrade (Fahrenheit is probably too fine) and viscosity, though you are supposed to use "Poise", the standard is to use "centipoise".

Okay, so you've gone all technical on me.  But for the majority of situations, such as building and architectural drawings, metric is just fine and so much simpler.

And why have freezing point at 32F?  No doubt there are extremely technical situations where it might be necessary for some obscure reason.  But for day to day situations, it's just daft.

Besides, your money is metric.  If you really wanted to go all Imperial, you'd choose pounds, shillings and pence, not to mention, threepenny coins, sixpenny coins, shillings and half-crowns.  Then there's guineas, of course, and florins to consider.

I am sorry, but it's "centimetERs."
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Acolyte

This is a vacuum tube.
You cannot view this attachment.

In the UK, it would be called a valve.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Maximilian

Quote from: Mushroom on February 01, 2024, 05:53:02 PME.g. pears are $3/lb but grapes in a container are $7 for 907g.

907g is exactly 2 lbs.

I noticed when I was in Canada that the butter was 453g. Exactly 1 lb.

awkward customer

Quote from: Heinrich on February 01, 2024, 06:43:49 PMI am sorry, but it's "centimetERs."

Only if you're American.

QuoteA centimetre (international spelling) or [centimeter (American spelling) (SI symbol cm) is a unit of length in the International System of Units (SI) equal to one hundredth of a metre,
Wikipedia

In Britain, a meter is something that measures how much is being used, like a gas meter, or a parking meter.

james03

Do you all pronounce the ending as "tre" as in the Spanish number 3 sans the "s"?
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

awkward customer

Quote from: james03 on February 02, 2024, 09:30:59 AMDo you all pronounce the ending as "tre" as in the Spanish number 3 sans the "s"?

No.  Kilometre is pronounced "kilometer". Metre is pronounced "meter".

Which is how it's done. 

Severinus

Quote from: awkward customer on February 01, 2024, 01:21:03 PM

Idk about architects, but in my experience, trades who know both systems prefer imperial. It's just psychologically stickier in an intangible way. A lot of European trades have no meaningful experience with imperial and can't even talk from experience, usually their views come down to bluster about the inferiority of America.

james03

When you have furnace drawing and the height dimension is 10,350 mm, you know it's retarded.

drummerboy

My pet theory on SAE vs Metric: SAE was used originally by tradesmen, and it's much easier to remember 8th's of an inch, or 4 feet, etc, etc, than, say 5800mm, or 7.9 cm, et al.  Metric was invented by scientists (French at that!) to enable precise, uniform measurements, for which it works perfect.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

awkward customer

Quote from: Severinus on February 02, 2024, 03:09:29 PMIdk about architects, but in my experience, trades who know both systems prefer imperial. It's just psychologically stickier in an intangible way. A lot of European trades have no meaningful experience with imperial and can't even talk from experience, usually their views come down to bluster about the inferiority of America.

In the UK, architects have been metric for many decades.  And the trades manage very well.

And you're right about European and British trades having no meaningful experience with imperial.  But no-one's blustering about the American way of doing things. We just think it's daft.

awkward customer

Quote from: drummerboy on February 05, 2024, 11:33:58 AMMy pet theory on SAE vs Metric: SAE was used originally by tradesmen, and it's much easier to remember 8th's of an inch, or 4 feet, etc, etc, than, say 5800mm, or 7.9 cm, et al.  Metric was invented by scientists (French at that!) to enable precise, uniform measurements, for which it works perfect.

It's only easier if you've been trained in imperial.

And no-one would say 5800 millimetres  They would say 5.8 metres, unless you're an American measuring up furnaces.

james03

QuoteNo.  Kilometre is pronounced "kilometer". Metre is pronounced "meter".

Which is how it's done.

Kilometer, which is pronounced "kilometer" is written as kilometer.

QuoteAnd no-one would say 5800 millimetres  They would say 5.8 metres,

It's written on the drawings as 10,350 mm.  Which is retarded.