Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximilian

Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2019, 01:14:39 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on November 26, 2019, 01:07:34 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2019, 01:01:19 PM

In the past, I've wanted to discuss The Rise and Fall of Triumph, a nonfiction book about the fortunes of a Catholic magazine founded in the 60s that presaged in many ways Trad thinking.

I read that when you posted a link some time ago.

Cool.  Did you get anything out of it?

In general I enjoyed the read and found it quite informative about that time period.

What struck me the most strongly was sympathy for the characters as they were betrayed first by their country and then by their church. Their heartfelt faith in America as the shining light that would bring freedom to the world was destroyed by the realization that we were actually working hand-in-glove with the communists.

At the time when they were suffering from loss of faith in the USA, they believed they could always fall back upon the Church, but then that exploded in their faces as well.

It reminds me of the author of "Canticle for Leibowitz" who just months prior to Vatican II published a book with the theme that nations might come and go but the Church would always be there. Eventually Walter Miller committed suicide.

Ultimately at the end, despite all the vicissitudes they had suffered, they were not able to shake their early formation. It was too much to ask that they come to see the pope as not Catholic, the conciliar church as a false church, etc.

Gardener

In all fairness, Walter Miller was pretty messed up as a person. But man, Canticle... was a masterpiece.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

A few ideas: a conspiracy theory discussion thread, a "Shakespeare"* discussion thread. I am digging me some history plays and a refound interest in Othello and King Lear.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

clau clau

One problem I have is with the various areas.  The Chat Room, Coffee and Donuts ... whatever.

My portal to the forum is basically to click on the "Show unread since last visit". Whatever appears I tend to look down the list and contribute to the ones that I am interested in. I am not really focused on which area/room I am in just in the thread topic.

If I see that the topic has been introduced/replied to by certain members I am more likely to contribute to it. Contrariwise if the person is on my banned list or somebody who posts incessantly with walls of text I am unlikely to read the topic.

I even have links which link to certain posters to see what they have been posting and to look at their recent posts. If they have said something interesting "anywhere" on "any" thread I will jump into the thread at that point and read the comment in context and then maybe contribute to the thread.  Sometimes these threads are several day/weeks/months and even years old. It must seem a bit strange when one of these thread comes back from the dead and reappears in the latest posts.

It seems to me inevitable that there will be "stars" on any forum.  That is just Pareto distribution, it's everywhere. Trying to fight against it is like trying to hold back the tide. On the other hand stars need to be managed or they can easily destroy the forum. It's a bit like herding cats.

Pareto distribution - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution
Pareto principle     - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Heinrich on December 07, 2019, 09:00:00 AM
A few ideas: a conspiracy theory discussion thread, a "Shakespeare"* discussion thread. I am digging me some history plays and a refound interest in Othello and King Lear.
A fitness; wweightlifting; healthy died section.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jacob

Quote from: clau clau on December 07, 2019, 04:28:00 PM
My portal to the forum is basically to click on the "Show unread since last visit". Whatever appears I tend to look down the list and contribute to the ones that I am interested in. I am not really focused on which area/room I am in just in the thread topic.

This is me as well.  It can be time consuming going back to find a thread with a new post that I opened and checked out, but didn't have time to reply in before closing it.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 07, 2019, 07:02:05 PM

Healthy died section?
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

Quote from: Heinrich on December 07, 2019, 08:59:14 PM

Healthy died section?

Solely devoted to Jack LaLanne
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

Healthy diet: how many people eat nothing but junk all day long; when I worked at a convenience store of a Gas station, I saw people come in and buy soda pop; candy bars; & other snacks; they were all sugar addicts. Many people don't know how to eat healthy.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Lynne

Quote from: clau clau on December 07, 2019, 04:28:00 PM

If I see that the topic has been introduced/replied to by certain members I am more likely to contribute to it. Contrariwise if the person is on my banned list or somebody who posts incessantly with walls of text I am unlikely to read the topic.

I even have links which link to certain posters to see what they have been posting and to look at their recent posts. If they have said something interesting "anywhere" on "any" thread I will jump into the thread at that point and read the comment in context and then maybe contribute to the thread.  Sometimes these threads are several day/weeks/months and even years old. It must seem a bit strange when one of these thread comes back from the dead and reappears in the latest posts.

Unfortunately, the "Show last unread" link doesn't really show you everything. I find that I also have to click on the link below it too...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Miriam_M

THIS:

A fitness, weightlifting, healthy diet section. [Your friendly proofreader.  ;D  ]

Re-posted in enthusiastic assent.

Heinrich

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 08, 2019, 10:03:46 AM
Healthy diet: how many people eat nothing but junk all day long; when I worked at a convenience store of a Gas station, I saw people come in and buy soda pop; candy bars; & other snacks; they were all sugar addicts. Many people don't know how to eat healthy.

[yt][/yt]

awkwardcustomer

And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: Lynne on December 18, 2019, 04:47:17 AM
Quote from: awkwardcustomer on December 16, 2019, 02:26:19 PM
Spinach is toxic.

Raw, yes. It's okay when cooked, though?

Boiling spinach, a lot, and discarding the water afterwards, will get rid of some of the toxic oxalates that spinach is loaded with.  So a tiny bit of boiled spinach now and then probably won't cause too much harm.  Of course this depends on how much other high oxalate foods you're eating.  It's the daily accumulation of toxins that eventually poisons.

Many of the foods touted as healthy by governments agencies and medical professionals contain high levels of antinutrients of which oxalates are just one type.  Low oxalate vegetables like cabbage are an alternative, although cabbage is high in goitrogens which attack the thyroid.  So it's swings and roundabouts really.
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.