Any abuse scandals in Sedevacantist chapels?

Started by Greg, May 25, 2023, 11:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Voris is making hay about the latest SSPX abuse scandal.

It occured to me that I don't recall any Sedevacantist scandals.  I am talking 'official' SV here so connected with 'the 9' Bishop Sanborn etc.  Not completely independent branches.

I realise they are much smaller than the SSPX but have they ever had an abusive priest in their ranks?

Would appear to me that if they have not, given they have less oversight, that would be a positive fruit would it not?

Anyone know of any cases?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Stubborn

Seems like a decade ago or so I heard of a sede priest on trial for abuse but cannot say for sure.

Beyond that, there's Francis Schuckardt, the founding father of sedeism in America and what later became the  CMRI. I remember some things from those days but mostly remember that among trads in my neck of the woods, he was a disaster. He did some bad things and there are various different reports about those things, heck, his own followers ended up kicking him out of CMRI. Whether the accusations of abuse against him are true or false I don't know, but he was certainly a source of scandal.   
Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

Baylee

Quote from: Greg on May 25, 2023, 11:53:02 PMVoris is making hay about the latest SSPX abuse scandal.

It occured to me that I don't recall any Sedevacantist scandals.  I am talking 'official' SV here so connected with 'the 9' Bishop Sanborn etc.  Not completely independent branches.

I realise they are much smaller than the SSPX but have they ever had an abusive priest in their ranks?

Would appear to me that if they have not, given they have less oversight, that would be a positive fruit would it not?

Anyone know of any cases?

Of "the nine"? None that I'm aware of.

Kent

No abuse scandals among the nine. Although there's some pretty contentious theological differences between them (which have been an occasion for what some might regard as less than civil mudslinging), there's never been anything even approximating abuse.

Francis Schukhardt of course managed to get into quite a bit of trouble due to his substance abuse and cultish, controlling behavior; but that whole affair was resolved because his own congregation blew the whistle on him. There were a very insignificant few who stood by Schukhardt even after his domicile was raided, but the infant CMRI congregation was itself responsible for getting rid of that bad blood. Which speaks against, rather than toward, corruption in organization.
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

Baylee

Quote from: Kent on May 26, 2023, 07:52:09 AMNo abuse scandals among the nine. Although there's some pretty contentious theological differences between them (which have been an occasion for what some might regard as less than civil mudslinging), there's never been anything even approximating abuse.

Francis Schukhardt of course managed to get into quite a bit of trouble due to his substance abuse and cultish, controlling behavior; but that whole affair was resolved because his own congregation blew the whistle on him. There were a very insignificant few who stood by Schukhardt even after his domicile was raided, but the infant CMRI congregation was itself responsible for getting rid of that bad blood. Which speaks against, rather than toward, corruption in organization.

Yes, Bishop Pivarunas and the CMRI go out of their way to avoid any hint/suggestion that it is going the way of Schuckhardt.

Kent

Quote from: Baylee on May 26, 2023, 08:07:28 AM
Quote from: Kent on May 26, 2023, 07:52:09 AMNo abuse scandals among the nine. Although there's some pretty contentious theological differences between them (which have been an occasion for what some might regard as less than civil mudslinging), there's never been anything even approximating abuse.

Yes, Bishop Pivarunas and the CMRI go out of their way to avoid any hint/suggestion that it is going the way of Schuckhardt.

I was speaking with a senior religious sister recently who remarked that in a way, the Schukhardt affair was providential for them because it makes them overcompensate to avoid any kind of cultish, controlling behavior. That's my paraphrase of what she said, not a direct quote.

I have gone to a lot of different traditional mass centers over the last 15 years-- Diocesan indults, SSPX, various independents, SSPV, SGG missions, and CMRI. I think a lot of people will be surprised to hear this because the basic disposition of most people toward sedevacantist clergy is to view them as severe, but I honestly and truly have found that the CMRI clergy are the most gentle, unassuming, non-imposing clergy I have ever had the pleasure of working with.  This is not to say they are not principled, but they understand better than any other clergy that their operation is not "the Church" and that they do not have the authority to make laws, impose opinions, etc.
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

Bonaventure

I've gone sspx, cmri, sede (9), diocesan, fssp.

Never saw sexual abuse directly but knew many of the typical scandals/petty politics one finds across the board: church cliques, pettiness, etc.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Maximilian

Quote from: Kent on May 26, 2023, 08:59:01 AMI have gone to a lot of different traditional mass centers over the last 15 years-- Diocesan indults, SSPX, various independents, SSPV, SGG missions, and CMRI.

As have I.

Quote from: Kent on May 26, 2023, 08:59:01 AMI think a lot of people will be surprised to hear this because the basic disposition of most people toward sedevacantist clergy is to view them as severe, but I honestly and truly have found that the CMRI clergy are the most gentle, unassuming, non-imposing clergy I have ever had the pleasure of working with. 

Yes, I have had that experience also. In the past couple years I had the privilege of shaking hands and speaking briefly with both Bishop Dolan (RIP) of St. Gertrude the Great and Bishop Pivarunas of the CMRI. Both of them were remarkable for the warmth, the affability, the cheerfulness, and the approachability they demonstrated. Also notable was the lack of any gleam of fanaticism in their eyes.

Greg

I know they are smaller but it is interesting that they appear to have avoided this.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

andy

Being a sede is scandalous enough for me  :pray1:  :-X  :)

Bonaventure

Quote from: andy on June 02, 2023, 09:12:35 PMBeing a sede is scandalous enough for me  :pray1:  :-X  :)

In addition to being totally irrelevant and adding nothing to the conversation, laughable to say this in age of Bergoglio.

Even diocesan clergy, like Bishop Rene H Gracida, have had doubts as to Bergoglio's pontificate.

Get real.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jmartyr

"If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
" A false church cannot have a true mission." - St. Francis De Sales
" The way is open for us to deprive councils of their authority, contradict their acts freely, and profess confidently, whatever SEEMS to be true. " - Martin Luther

Baylee

Quote from: andy on June 02, 2023, 09:12:35 PMBeing a sede is scandalous enough for me  :pray1:  :-X  :)

No, what's scandalous are the so-called "popes".

Christus Rex

I attended a Sede chapel for a few months in 2006.  I later found out that the nun I used to talk to after Mass was married to the priest (who I think was actually a bishop).

Genovese

Because sede numbers are small, less centralised, less well-known, I don't think any abuse cases will be as well reported as say those in the SSPX, FSSP, diocesan or larger organisations.