What language(s) are you studying at the moment?

Started by Ancilla Domini, March 20, 2013, 06:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancilla Domini

We seem to have a fair number of foreign-language enthusiasts on the forum. What are you studying at the moment?

As for myself, I've been focusing on Portuguese these past few months. But over the summer I plan to study Modern Greek. I also hope to work on my Spanish and Italian. They've both deteriorated from neglect. I've thought about learning Turkish, continuing my Mediterranean theme, but that seems unlikely for now, given my other commitments. I'd like to make better use of The Alps as a place for all of us to practice.  :)

Dom Passerini

I'm not formally studying any languages right now but I continue to expand my English vocab with m-w.com's word of the day (and just daily reading etc), and I also keep adding to my repertoire of German, Italian, Latin and Spanish through my contact with people and through books etc.  I have lately found that I am actually pretty gifted at picking up (latin-based) languages and have been considering learning one that I don't hear as often.  Like Russian or Polish or even like Arabic or something.  I'd be interested to see how easily I can learn a language that is truly foreign to me.

How are you studying Portuguese?  What types of things are you doing, what methods do you use?
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Dom Passerini on March 20, 2013, 07:18:59 PMHow are you studying Portuguese?  What types of things are you doing, what methods do you use?

I'm taking a class. That really is the easiest and most effective way to learn.

I do sometimes study on my own, as I plan to do this summer. In that case, I just get the best university textbook I can find and follow it, being sure to use all of the ancillaries (CD's, DVD's, workbooks, etc.). I am actually a language teacher, so I have more success learning this way than most people do. 

For languages whose grammar I already know well, I find that input - that is, exposure to the language - is all that is needed for improvement. And so I read, watch videos, listen to music, and of course communicate in the language as much as possible.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Dom Passerini on March 20, 2013, 07:18:59 PM
I'm not formally studying any languages right now but I continue to expand my English vocab with m-w.com's word of the day (and just daily reading etc), and I also keep adding to my repertoire of German, Italian, Latin and Spanish through my contact with people and through books etc.

We could use you in The Alps!  :) 

QuoteI have lately found that I am actually pretty gifted at picking up (latin-based) languages and have been considering learning one that I don't hear as often.  Like Russian or Polish or even like Arabic or something.  I'd be interested to see how easily I can learn a language that is truly foreign to me.

Interesting!  :)

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Lateran

This might qualify --- I am working with a Latin Speech coach who uses the Italian inflections. This all in the (vain) hope that my Latin will be divested of the French inflections and Midwest pacing.   

Vetus Ordo

I'll be taking Russian classes after Easter. That'll be fun.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Dom Passerini

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 20, 2013, 08:11:47 PM
Just French.

So I finally located the Alps (thanks Ancilla Domini!) just to find that Bonaventure is a liar.

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=678.msg10801#msg10801

eta i forgot to add a jk of my own.

jk

:)
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Lateran on March 20, 2013, 08:16:46 PM
This might qualify --- I am working with a Latin Speech coach who uses the Italian inflections. This all in the (vain) hope that my Latin will be divested of the French inflections and Midwest pacing.   

Bravo, Lateran! Oral production is an oft neglected aspect of Latin learning.  :)

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on March 20, 2013, 08:27:47 PM
I'll be taking Russian classes after Easter. That'll be fun.

We could use a Russian thread, Vetus.

Ancilla Domini

I think I'll try to organize something this summer, at least for French, also Italian if there is interest. Perhaps one of the native speakers, or at least someone who speaks better than I, could do the same for Spanish? And Portuguese (Vetus!)

Someone1776

The only language we need is American.

USA! USA! USA!

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Dom Passerini on March 20, 2013, 08:31:02 PMSo I finally located the Alps (thanks Ancilla Domini!)

My pleasure!

Quotejust to find that Bonaventure is a liar.

Tell me about it! He also claims not to speak Portuguese.