For Sale: Lauds Vespers & Compline in English (2 books)-Collegeville & Benziger

Started by Kaesekopf, March 02, 2013, 02:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I'm also selling two collections of the Divine Office.

Morning and Evening Prayers of the Divine Office - Lauds Vespers and Compline for the entire year from the Roman Breviary, printed by Benziger Brothers, copyright 1965.  It's hardcover, pretty sturdy.  I haven't seen it offered terribly much online.  There are some lightly-pencilled in notes by someone.  Contains a number of prayers at the end, and includes prayers in preparation for Mass and prayers in Thanksgiving for Mass.  And some litanies.  This is all in English (no Latin).  Good for beginning with the Divine Office and the major hours.

Lauds Vespers Compline in English, reprinted from The Hours of the Divine Office in English and Latin, an officially approved edition of the Roman Breviary.  Printed by The Liturgical press, copyright 1965.  It is paperback (but study covers).  This one doesn't have any internal markings, as far as I know.  I haven't come across any, at least.  This is also all in English.  Also good for beginning with the Divine Office.

Both books deal with the 1960 office/rubrics (those in effect in 1962). 

Both books are used.  Paypal is preferred method of payment.  PM me if interested.

Album of pictures located here:
http://imgur.com/a/uop6t
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

If anyone is interested in these, PM me.  I am willing to negotiate a bit on price (but I will take the best offer, lol).  I don't really need them (or want them taking up space in my belongings). 

Let me know.  :)

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 02, 2013, 02:12:17 AM
There are some lightly-pencilled in notes by someone. 

Did you write the "I will sing my heart out!" on the title page, KK?  You can tell the truth; no judgment here.   ;D

http://imgur.com/a/uop6t#IbEi7Xs
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Kaesekopf

Kaesekopf

Bump bump bump.

If anyone is interested in these, PM me to discuss the price.  I'm looking to get rid of these as they are just sitting on my shelf.  :)

Kaesekopf

moneil

Another bump:

If I had seen this earlier I probable would have been interested, but I didn't.  Just about three weeks ago I scored off e-bay The Roman Breviary in English, published by Benziger Brothers, with an Imprimature by Francis Cardinal Spellman in 1964.  As far as I can tell it is the complete Breviary, in one volume.  The all English aspect suits me just fine; other than my pre VII altar boy and parochial school choir "rote response and chant" my personal facility with Latin is nill.  Having entered my 62'nd decade this summer, and still struggling with English and Spanish (the latter imperative for those who work in agriculture), I'm not about to engage in new linguistic pursuits  :D/

I had never seen the pre VII Breviary in "one volume, just the vernacular" before and was surprised that there wasn't more aggressive competition for this.  I considered it a score as the rare complete 3-4 volume Latin - English breviaries go for several hundreds of dollars.   In deed the Short Breviary for Religious and the Laity (1963 edition) that I have been using I paid over $80.00 for from e-bay a few years ago.  I do confress to having gotten caught up in a bidding freenzy on that , as afterwards I observed that these are more typically sold in the $40.00 range.

I'm assuming that the tomes the OP is offering have the text of Lauds, Vespers, and Compline from the text I've just acquired, and I concur that these would be an excellent resource for someone wanting to recite the traditional breviary, yet not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars for a "full set".

If I may make an additional suggestion:  Many (myself included) have awsome intentions of reciting the "full breviary", but don't always manage it on a daily basis.  Team one of the books offered by the OP with My Daily Psalm Book (The Perfect Prayer Book) http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Psalm-Book-Perfect-Prayer/dp/B0012974ZW, which has the Psalms arranged according to the format of the traditional breviary (St. Pius X schema), and one can recite the major hours, plus recite the psalms from the other hours.

Hope (and  :pray2:) that Kaesekopf gets a taker on these!

Kaesekopf

It's Advent time!  Christmas is soon! 

Do you need a last-minute gift for that special trad in your life, the one who has a fascination with the Divine Office, but doesn't quite have the books required for it? 

Well aren't you in luck!? 

Check out the OP.  Two single volumes of Lauds, Vespers, and Compline for sale! 

Wow.  Much Catholic.  Such orthodoxy.

Pm with offers? 

Kaesekopf

Kaesekopf

The Benziger book is still available.  For you to buy!  Eh?  :D. Start praying the major hours of the 1960 breviary in english! 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Kaesekopf

Bumping because I'd really like to slim my library...  morning and evening prayer by benziger still available.  Pm if interested

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk