"Renting" Books

Started by Bernadette, January 20, 2014, 08:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Has anybody come across this online? I saw it on Google Books: they charge three dollars or so, and you have access to the book for forty-eight hours. I couldn't believe it! I thought this sort of thing had gone out with the Victorian "circulating libraries," where customers paid a subscription to take out books. I'd never pay to rent books: I've been spoiled by free libraries. The idea of having to pay to just borrow a book seems so wrong (even though I'm perfectly okay with aying to borrow movies).

What do you guys think?
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

I would pay to be part of a nice library (think of a public library, but nicer, with newer books, etc).

For only 48 hours though?  Doesn't seem worth it. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Yeah, 48 hours is way too short. Our town library has rental books (new books by popular authors) but the rental period is for 2 or 3 weeks.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Actually, I was wrong. I just checked and rentals are only for 24 hours. Now that's downright ridiculous.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Eh, my book rentals come from the library for free. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

LouisIX

I've rented books on my kindle for a month from Amazon. 
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LouisIX on January 20, 2014, 12:39:30 PM

Textbooks?  Or?  How come?

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

LouisIX

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 20, 2014, 12:53:42 PM

Yeah, it was an academic work.  I only needed it for a paper and it was too expensive to buy.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Penelope

I could never just rent a book, even if the rental period was long enough to read the entire thing. I like to write in my books, dog-ear the pages, etc.

LouisIX

Quote from: Penelope on January 20, 2014, 01:06:55 PM
I could never just rent a book, even if the rental period was long enough to read the entire thing. I like to write in my books, dog-ear the pages, etc.

You wouldn't like an e-reader then.

Penelope

Yeah, I super don't like them. I also like being able to flip quickly back to something I read earlier to compare it to what I just read. You know, "Oh, that symbol (or whatever) popped up earlier in the book, too; let me flip back and find it."

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Penelope on January 20, 2014, 01:10:08 PM
Yeah, I super don't like them. I also like being able to flip quickly back to something I read earlier to compare it to what I just read. You know, "Oh, that symbol (or whatever) popped up earlier in the book, too; let me flip back and find it."

Nerd.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LouisIX on January 20, 2014, 12:56:35 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 20, 2014, 12:53:42 PM

Yeah, it was an academic work.  I only needed it for a paper and it was too expensive to buy.

:lol:

That makes sense.

Penelope

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 20, 2014, 01:11:45 PM

Nerd.

I mean, I'm a nerd for a living. You knew that.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Penelope on January 20, 2014, 01:16:12 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 20, 2014, 01:11:45 PM

Nerd.

I mean, I'm a nerd for a living. You knew that.

Indeed I did.