Is love of money the root of *all* evil?

Started by Clare, May 07, 2018, 07:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

I can see that love of money is bad, but I can't see how it's at the root of lust-related evils like adultery fornication etc. It seems to me that money isnt a consideration at all in those sins. Or sloth, or anger, come to think of it. Pride, perhaps, sometimes.

So, my pedantic question is, in what way is love of money the root of all evil?
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

LausTibiChriste

Pride is the root of all evil.

A poor man can fornicate with the rest of em...has nothing to do with money
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Daniel

I believe that St. Augustine (somewhere in his treatise On Genesis to the Letter) teaches that the phrase "love of money" is a pars pro toto. Love of money is a kind of excessive desire, and excessive desire is the root of all evil, so the love of money is said figuratively to be the root of all evil.

And yes, this is linked with pride, since pretty much all excessive desires are a kind of pride (or at least follow from pride).

Jayne

There seems to be a translation issue involved.  Wikipedia has an article explaining it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radix_malorum_est_cupiditas

QuoteRadix malorum est cupiditas is a Biblical quotation in Latin that means "greed is the root of evil" (or, in sentence order, the root of evil is greed).

This Latin phrase is a translation of the original Greek manuscripts of the Bible. The most reliable Greek manuscripts cite "???? ??? ?????? ??? ????? ????? ? ?????????? (1Ti 6:10 BGT)". This is literally translated into English, "Root for all the evil is the love of money." Daniel Wallace states that ???? (root) is qualitative, since it lacks an article.[1] A more idiomatic understanding of this phrase is, "For every possible kind of evil can be motivated by the love of money." Meaning, greed can lead to any number of different kind of evils, not that all evil is rooted in the love of money.

The original biblical quotation means "the love of money is the root of all evil" (or all kinds of evil), and has been translated into English as such since the King James Version.[2] It has frequently been rendered as "money is the root of all evil".[3]

The original source is 1 Timothy 6:10 (St Jerome's Vulgate translation). The word cupiditas is ambiguous, as it may also mean cupidity, or strong desire. The Latin phrase is itself a translation from Greek, where the original word philarguria can only mean love of money.
See more at link.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Daniel on May 07, 2018, 08:24:55 AM
I believe that St. Augustine (somewhere in his treatise On Genesis to the Letter) teaches that the phrase "love of money" is a pars pro toto. Love of money is a kind of excessive desire, and excessive desire is the root of all evil, so the love of money is said figuratively to be the root of all evil.

And yes, this is linked with pride, since pretty much all excessive desires are a kind of pride (or at least follow from pride).

This is one of the 3 or so topics I'm always musing about as I move through my day. 
Doesn't the distinction that all excessive desires follow from pride, indicate that pride itself is at the root of all sin?
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

PerEvangelicaDicta

Thank you Jayne!  Greed = excessive desires.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

LausTibiChriste

I like money. Gets stuff done.

Money can't buy you happiness - but poverty buys you f***ing nothing.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Maximilian

Quote from: Clare on May 07, 2018, 07:39:39 AM

in what way is love of money the root of all evil?

Greed is the foundation of the 7 deadly sins. All of the other capital sins require greed first in order to function.

We can think of our worldly desires like a car. Money is the gas on which the car runs. When the gas runs out, the car stops, and when the money runs out, all of our worldly enterprises come to a halt.

One day my destination for the car is pride, and another day it is lust, and another day it is gluttony, but I need to have money to reach any of my destinations.

Or you can picture the 7 deadly sins like a house. First you pour the foundation of Greed. Then on top of it you build a first floor with rooms for Gluttony, Lust and Sloth. On top of that you build a second floor of Pride, Envy and Anger. But all of them will come crashing down without a strong foundation of Greed.

The inverse of this is the fact that Poverty is first of the evangelical counsels. If we want to build a different kind of house, then we need a different foundation.

Or to return to our car metaphor, worldly cars run on gas while spiritual cars are electric. They have a completely different type of power source. Pouring gas into an electric car will only ruin it.

When you get to the point in the road where the "steep and narrow road" branches off, gas cars can't travel on that road, only electric cars. Gas cars can take you to lots of places like Pinocchio's Pleasure Island, but they can't travel on the road to heaven.

So love of money is the root source that powers every kind of worldly intention, while poverty is the source of grace that powers a spiritual life.

Maximilian

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Maximilian on May 07, 2018, 11:45:31 AM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on May 07, 2018, 10:49:05 AM

Thank you Jayne!  Greed = excessive desires.

Jayne's post doesn't say that.

Pardon me, Maximilian (and Jayne!), that was more my editorial commentary to the excerpt Jayne provided re: Radix malorum est cupiditas.   As you noted "All of the other capital sins require greed first in order to function."   I was being simplistic, if you will, in that excessive desire is greed for the sin one will commit. 

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on May 07, 2018, 11:20:03 AM
I like money. Gets stuff done.

Money can't buy you happiness - but poverty buys you {} nothing.

other than graces, when done properly.  And, money can certainly buy you plenty of trouble.  There's nothing inherently wrong with poverty; however, there is nothing inherently wrong with riches, either.  Scripture is pretty clear that both the rich and the poor can be holy; and, both the rich and the poor can be damned.   Not to start this debate again....we (as a forum) have been down this path several times, and I think it's safe to say we (you and I) would be on the same side of the debate.  But, it is worth pointing out that poverty, when accepted lovingly as a person's particular path to holiness, provided you aren't wrongfully neglecting any of your duties to those you are bound to provide for (whether married or not), is certainly an effective way to live out one's sanctification.  Again, under the right circumstances....not all are meant to live in material poverty. 

Daniel

Just pointing out, the Wikipedia article discusses the phrase Radix malorum est cupiditas which seems to be some sort of Latin motto, but it's NOT the exact same phrase which is in the Vulgate (the Vulgate's phrase is Radix omnium malorum est cupditas). Though I'm not sure this makes much difference, since the article does say "all evil".

Old Latin - Radix omnium malorum est avaritia
Vulgate - Radix enim omnium malorum est cupiditas
1582 Rheims - For the root of all evils is covetousness
DR Challoner - For the desire of money is the root of all evils

St. Jerome changed avarice to cupidity for some reason, but I don't think the meaning changed.

Quote from: Maximilian on May 07, 2018, 11:42:43 AM
Greed is the foundation of the 7 deadly sins. All of the other capital sins require greed first in order to function.
[. . .]
Or you can picture the 7 deadly sins like a house. First you pour the foundation of Greed. Then on top of it you build a first floor with rooms for Gluttony, Lust and Sloth. On top of that you build a second floor of Pride, Envy and Anger. But all of them will come crashing down without a strong foundation of Greed.

The inverse of this is the fact that Poverty is first of the evangelical counsels. If we want to build a different kind of house, then we need a different foundation.
[. . .]
So love of money is the root source that powers every kind of worldly intention, while poverty is the source of grace that powers a spiritual life.
I'm not sure that's right. Take away a vicious man's greed, and he may still be prideful and gluttonous and lustful etc.. Case in point: Satan was never greedy or lustful (in the literal sense), but he fell through pride.

Maximilian

Quote from: Daniel on May 07, 2018, 03:02:43 PM

Quote from: Maximilian on May 07, 2018, 11:42:43 AM
[. . .]

I'm not sure that's right.

We already know that it's right because the Holy Ghost speaking through St. Paul told us so. The question is not whether it is right or wrong, but how are we best to understand it.

Quote from: Daniel on May 07, 2018, 03:02:43 PM

Take away a vicious man's greed, and he may still be prideful and gluttonous and lustful etc.. Case in point: Satan was never greedy or lustful (in the literal sense), but he fell through pride.

That's all speculation. We don't know the state of Satan's soul. Nor in this instance is St. Paul speaking about Satan. He's speaking about us.

When we are trying to explain something in Scripture or in Catholic teaching, we have to be careful to avoid explaining it away instead of explaining it. St. Paul said that "Avarice is the root of all evil." If this is not immediately obvious to us, then we need to explain how this is true, but we can't explain it away as if St. Paul didn't say it, or as if the truth is otherwise.

My attempts were only metaphors and I'm sure they're not perfect. But at least they are trying to explain the truth of what St. Paul tells us in Scripture. Your explanation, in contrast, is trying to say, "No, St. Paul is wrong." That can never be the correct answer.