Favorite OT Bible Stories?

Started by Bernadette, March 13, 2024, 02:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Mine are Joseph and Moses. What are yours?
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

That time God killed all the poofs in Sodom
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

diaduit

Joseph becoming advisor to the Pharoah and the brothers finding out the way they did, the reunion with his father....loved it.

Esther for being so clever.

Bernadette

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on March 13, 2024, 03:16:35 PMThat time God killed all the poofs in Sodom
I figured either you or Greg would say this.
My Lord and my God.

Mushroom

Story of King David (how he became King, sinned really terribly but repents at the end), Job having bad things happening to him and he doesn't lose faith in God

Maximilian

I love the story of Naaman being cured of leprosy, which appears at Mass every Lent. There are so many great characters and situations that are so typical of human nature that they make you laugh out loud.

There's the servant girl who was captured in a raid, but who saves her master.
There's the king of the Syrians who writes a letter to the king of Israel telling him to heal Naaman.
There's the king of Israel who tears his garments and cries out that this is just a provocation for war.
There's Naaman who doesn't want to bathe in the dirty Jordan river.
There's Naaman's servants who convince their master not to make a terrible mistake.

It's not included in the reading (which is already long for a daily Mass), but next there's Elisha's servant who runs after the departing Syrians when Elisha tells them he doesn't want their gifts, and tells the Syrians that his master has changed his mind and wants the gifts after all. Then the servant contracts leprosy.

Bernadette

Quote from: Mushroom on March 13, 2024, 05:31:37 PMJob having bad things happening to him and he doesn't lose faith in God
The story of Job was very comforting to me during what I called my "Year of Job," when my uncle and grandmother both died and my aunt had a life-threatening medical condition (twice). It looked like I was going to lose all of my immediate family. I reflected a lot on Job's story.
My Lord and my God.

benedicite

How about the story where Elias has the contest to see which god is the real God.

clau clau

Daniel in the Lions Den.

Also Bel and the Dragon (Bel=Baal)
(which is the reason Daniel was cast into the Den in the first place)
aside: the Daniel in that illustration below looks suspiciously like Mel Gibson  ::)

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Bernadette

Quote from: benedicite on March 15, 2024, 03:11:00 AMHow about the story where Elias has the contest to see which god is the real God.
That is a good one.
My Lord and my God.

EastWest7

Moses 3:14. When God tells Moses His name. "I AM who I AM."
Before Abraham was, I AM. John 8:58

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

crossingtherubicon

I often wonder what the pre flood world was like. 

Heinrich

Quote from: crossingtherubicon on March 15, 2024, 04:32:13 PMI often wonder what the pre flood world was like. 

Giants who built pyramids.

To OP: Judges 19-21. Men of God coming together to do the right thing in the face of injustice, not giving up, taking care of business with extreme prejudice, levying Mercy at the end, which then gave us St. Paul.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mr. Mysterious

Mine is the story of Jonas and not just the part where he was swallowed by (likely) a sperm whale. Ordered by God to preach to the citizens of Nineveh, he has other plans. They were enemies of the Israelites and had a reputation in the ancient world for being particularly brutal. Boarding a ship bound for Tarshish to get as far away from Nineveh as possible (Tarshish was in Spain) the ship he's runs into a vicious storm and he's tossed overboard and spends three days and nights inside the beast, then gets spat out onto shore. He makes his way to Nineveh preaching that in 40 days Nineveh will be destroyed unless they repent and unexpectedly they do just that. Jonas is angry about the whole situation, and finds himself resting under an ivy, which God sends a worm to destroy. Jonas wishes for death due to the intense sun and heat but God sets him straight about the whole situation concerning the more than 120,000 people who live in the city, including all the beasts who live in it. It's a bit of a humorous story and God shows He even cares about the animals.       
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Mr. Mysterious

Quote from: Mr. Mysterious on March 17, 2024, 06:01:43 PMMine is the story of Jonas and not just the part where he was swallowed by (likely) a sperm whale. Ordered by God to preach to the citizens of Nineveh, he has other plans. They were enemies of the Israelites and had a reputation in the ancient world for being particularly brutal. Boarding a ship bound for Tarshish to get as far away from Nineveh as possible (Tarshish was in Spain) the ship he's on runs into a vicious storm and he's tossed overboard and spends three days and nights inside the beast, then gets spat out onto shore. He makes his way to Nineveh preaching that in 40 days Nineveh will be destroyed unless they repent and unexpectedly they do just that. Jonas is angry about the whole situation, and finds himself resting under an ivy, which God sends a worm to destroy. Jonas wishes for death due to the intense sun and heat but God sets him straight about the whole situation concerning the more than 120,000 people who live in the city, including all the beasts who live in it. It's a bit of a humorous story and God shows He even cares about the animals.     
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33