Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

What's some stuff you all would like to see happen around here to make it a livelier joint?

I've noticed activity has been slipping. 

Open to ideas all across the board. 

No personal attacks to me.  :P 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jacob

I have a suggestion.  I'd like to see what others say before making it.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Maximilian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

What's some stuff you all would like to see happen around here to make it a livelier joint?

I've noticed activity has been slipping. 

Yes, I've noticed too that activity has diminished greatly. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do unless you are secretly a cardinal with a vote in the conclave.

People are losing hope. It's like being in the bunker with Hitler. It's not much fun debating whether it will be 1 month or 2 months until the Russians show up in Berlin.

It has been demonstrated endlessly here on SD and elsewhere that the phoney pontificates of JPII and BXVI were an illusion. However, sometimes we need to cling to false hope when there isn't any other. Today with Francis, and the renewed scandal attacks on the Church, and the lack of any light on the horizon in any direction, there doesn't seem to be any hope at all.

Sometimes I long for those more innocent naive days when I still believed that JPII was going to restore the Church "any day now." 

P.S. Even this video is much more depressing than I realized. I posted it here because the many dozens of times that I heard it on the radio I always thought that it said:
"Oh, what I would not give for false hope now."
but today I find out that the actual lyrics are:
"No, I would not give you false hope, no."

Heinrich

Kick out atheists. You know who I am talking about. Especially that insidious little culture ham.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Heinrich on October 30, 2018, 08:42:12 PM
Kick out atheists. You know who I am talking about. Especially that insidious little culture ham.
The atheists have been very inactive the last ... what, couple of months?

And yet activity remains low.  If anything, we can credit atheists with some forum activity.  ;)

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

red solo cup

Ask Gregg and Jayne to put aside their differences and return to the forum. They've both made their point.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

clau clau

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Lynne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 31, 2018, 01:00:29 AM

And yet activity remains low.

Their work is complete. Yay!

QuoteIf anything, we can credit atheists with some forum activity.  ;)

That's a good business model for a trad forum.  :cheeseheadbeer:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Xavier

I think it ebbs and flows based on whether major Church and world events are happening. Forum activity may temporarily seem to be down somewhat, but if something interesting happens, probably everyone will be posting and active again. And then it may be too much to handle!

Also, some traditionalists may be understandably battle-weary or just fatigued at bad news; maybe it is naivete, but I'm still hopeful. There are some good things happening. Let us all strive to fulfil the duties of our state and be apostles of prayer; other things will take care of themselves. I doubt there will be any permanent decline in forum activity.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Xavier on October 31, 2018, 07:28:38 AM
I think it ebbs and flows based on whether major Church and world events are happening. Forum activity may temporarily seem to be down somewhat, but if something interesting happens, probably everyone will be posting and active again. And then it may be too much to handle!

Also, some traditionalists may be understandably battle-weary or just fatigued at bad news; maybe it is naivete, but I'm still hopeful. There are some good things happening. Let us all strive to fulfil the duties of our state and be apostles of prayer; other things will take care of themselves. I doubt there will be any permanent decline in forum activity.

So, how then, does this forum serve traditional Catholics to be boosted in their spiritual life?  Is there anything like that to be done by a forum?  Or is that proper to the church and only the church/spiritual writers/etc? 

How can we make this place more interesting to come to when there isn't some drama or news about Rome or the chanceries?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Lynne on October 31, 2018, 06:31:46 AM

So, if I ban them, you all will post more?...   :cheeseheadbeer:

Heinrich

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 31, 2018, 07:33:47 AM
Quote from: Lynne on October 31, 2018, 06:31:46 AM

So, if I ban them, you all will post more?...   :cheeseheadbeer:

Who are "them"? You asked that prior.

To answer your question, probably. There seems to be a decided upon inclination for at least two of these goons to post antagonistic threads or replies. "What if Theistic Evolution were true?" F--that for a topic on a Catholic forum. Question may appear innocuous enough, but the ethos of the poster and "arguant" is the poison.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

Quote from: red solo cup on October 31, 2018, 03:27:29 AM
Ask Gregg and Jayne to put aside their differences and return to the forum. They've both made their point.

This is my suggestion as well.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2018, 10:46:09 AM

Laus, Jovan, and Bonaventure are missed, too. Whatever happened to Walty?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Heinrich on October 31, 2018, 10:57:00 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2018, 10:46:09 AM

Laus, Jovan, and Bonaventure are missed, too. Whatever happened to Walty?

Laus is done posting on forums.  Jovan runs a blog but was never super active here.  Bonaventure is a hobo (:lol:) and Walty has life/family/work pulling him away from the Forum.