House Swapping and Family Holiday ideas

Started by Greg, September 16, 2023, 04:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

One of the unique things about Rye is that there are pubs in alleyways with no road access.  You are walking down the cliff from the castle, the alleyway is steep and has steps and then there is a Tudor building with a pub called the Ypres Castle and a beer garden with views perched of the cliff and then another alleyway down a steep flight of steps to the road.

I have no idea how they get kegs of beer and all the bottles delivered.  Presumably they go to the main castle and are lowered down to the pub or something.  It is 20 feet below the castle and 30 feet above the road.

They are the sort of places pirates would frequent 300 years ago.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

Still persevering but matches for reciprocal swaps are difficult to agree on.

Offered one place in Toulouse, but no desire to go there.  Middle of France, dull.

Lady in the Lake District interested and I would like to go there.  Maybe one half term.

Lots of thanks but no thanks. Lots of "lovely house you have but the summer does not suit us".

Fundamental flaw appears to be that there's rarely parity in the house and that travelling group size tends to be small.

Better for home-schooling families who could pack up their van and swap house for some other part of America.

I put on my profile that I was happy to have their British friends and relatives come and the place was suitable for noisy parties, which it is and we regularly have them.

Looks to me that most of the swaps arranged are 2nd homes between old retired couples.  Zermatt for Canary Islands sort of thing,

Also the search engine sucks on most of the sites and people don't update their profiles.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.