Monstrances

Started by Lirael, January 05, 2013, 12:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lirael

A few days ago, I was at a Holy Hour hosted by a local Catholic young adult group. Since it's Christmas, they used this strange monstrance that looked like a wooden Mary holding baby Jesus. When the consecrated host was placed in the monstrance, it became part of Jesus' head. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Apparently the priest hadn't either, because he couldn't get Jesus OUT of it at the end and we all watched him awkwardly struggle with it for almost 5 minutes.

So my question is: Are there guidelines for what the monstrance should look like?
Why art thou sad, o my soul? And why dost thou disquiet me?

EcceQuamBonum

I'm still trying to picture this in my head.  Was Our Lord's Face the lunette?!
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Lirael

In the process of trying to find a picture of it, I stumbled across these:

So I couldn't find the exact monstrance, but maybe this will help:

And then imagine that Jesus' head opened up and that was where the Consecrated Host was placed.

Kaesekopf

I think that would make for a funny looking monstrance.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lirael

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 05, 2013, 12:45:25 PM

So I googled lunette to figure out what you were talking about and this was the first hit. LOL.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Lirael on January 05, 2013, 02:18:09 PM
Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 05, 2013, 12:45:25 PM

So I googled lunette to figure out what you were talking about and this was the first hit. LOL.

Ahem...no, not that lunette...  Hahaha.

What I picture in my mind is something like the cover of Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane over the Sea:

In the sense of having a round, white object where one would expect the face to be.  Anyone else?  No?  Okay.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Lirael

This is right on the money. A round, white object as a face. That's what it was!

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Lirael on January 06, 2013, 12:37:03 AM
This is right on the money. A round, white object as a face. That's what it was!

That's just...creepy.

Ben

That picture's fascinating.