Yale scientists prove the Vinland Map to be fraudulent.

Started by Santantonio, September 04, 2021, 05:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santantonio

The Vinland Map, which purports to be a 15th-century map with a pre-Columbian depiction of the North American Coast, was drawn with modern inks, suggests a new analysis by Yale scientists and conservators.
was drawn with modern inks, suggests a new analysis by Yale scientists and conservators.The Vinland Map, once hailed as the earliest depiction of the New World, is awash in 20]th-century ink. A team of conservators and conservation scientists at Yale has found compelling new evidence for this conclusion through the most thorough analysis yet performed on the infamous parchment map.
Acquired by Yale in the mid-1960s, the purported 15th-century map depicts a pre-Columbian "Vinlanda Insula," a section of North America's coastline southwest of Greenland. While earlier studies had detected evidence of modern inks at various points on the map, the new Yale analysis examined the entire document's elemental composition using state-of-the-art tools and techniques that were previously unavailable.
The analysis revealed that a titanium compound used in inks first produced in the 1920s pervades the map's lines and text.
"The Vinland Map is a fake," said Raymond Clemens, curator of early books and manuscripts at Yale's Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, which houses the map. "There is no reasonable doubt here. This new analysis should put the matter to rest."
excerpted from:
https://news.yale.edu/2021/09/01/analysis-unlocks-secret-vinland-map-its-fake

Michael Wilson

This "Fake" vs "Authentic" debate has been going on for over 50 years; don't worry, another group of scientists will shortly declare the map to be authentic.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Tennessean

I've read all the sagas of the Icelanders, including the two Vinland sagas. They clearly made it to north america before Columbus, and left when the lumber camps became a hassle. I didn't know somebody made a map, or that the scandinavians even used maps.

Prayerful

Quote from: Tennessean on September 05, 2021, 09:47:49 AM
I've read all the sagas of the Icelanders, including the two Vinland sagas. They clearly made it to north america before Columbus, and left when the lumber camps became a hassle. I didn't know somebody made a map, or that the scandinavians even used maps.

There's no doubt, given L'Anse Aux Meadows, which was probably one of many stations for gathering lumber, fur and other resources. The Aztec or Mexica legends of Quetzalcoatl were a distorted memory of long beard Norse Christian missionaries ranging far beyond those bases. Bristol cod fisheries were also none too distant from the more northerly of those lands.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

drummerboy

The Vikings were the first Christians to the New World, a Bishop even made an expedition to find Leif Ericsson's original campsite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFNQGR7/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Some of his work uses the Yale map in question, but he bases the rest of his work on many other primary sources and his extremely thorough.  He suggests a tribe of Eskimos, known to have been in the Greenland and Hudson Bay area contemporarily with the Norse and to have drawn maps, were the ones who made the maps.  He demonstrates quite well that Columbus, from these maps and other knowledge gleaned from Norse expeditions, knew quite precisely where he was going.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Prayerful

Quote from: drummerboy on September 07, 2021, 10:59:08 PM

The Vikings were the first Christians to the New World, a Bishop even made an expedition to find Leif Ericsson's original campsite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFNQGR7/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Some of his work uses the Yale map in question, but he bases the rest of his work on many other primary sources and his extremely thorough.  He suggests a tribe of Eskimos, known to have been in the Greenland and Hudson Bay area contemporarily with the Norse and to have drawn maps, were the ones who made the maps.  He demonstrates quite well that Columbus, from these maps and other knowledge gleaned from Norse expeditions, knew quite precisely where he was going.

I thought that Columbus rejected the Ptolemaic measure of Posidonius of Apamea who fairly accurately estimated 24,000 stades as the earth's circumstance using the arc measurement method, that he thought the world to be smaller than it is. I might see what it says.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

drummerboy

Quote from: Prayerful on September 08, 2021, 04:44:21 PM

I thought that Columbus rejected the Ptolemaic measure of Posidonius of Apamea who fairly accurately estimated 24,000 stades as the earth's circumstance using the arc measurement method, that he thought the world to be smaller than it is. I might see what it says.

I recall the book dealing with this, and Columbus believing the distance between the two hemispheres much shorter.  I should make a disclaimer, the book I read was Viking America, by the same author, but seems to be an out-of-print earlier edition to the linked book.

Santantonio

Colombus did most certainly NOT know where he was going. That author better update his book, because the description
says it includes the phony Yale Vinland Map. I am not disparaging what Leif Erikson and the other Norsemen did, but island hopping
from Iceland to Greenland, to Helluland and Markland is not the equivalent of this:

drummerboy

Do you always disparage things before you know about them?  The evidence is not just a map, but far, far more.