Specifically non-theological classics you recommend people to read

Started by TheReturnofLive, January 17, 2020, 05:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awkwardcustomer

And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Maximilian

"War and Peace"
"Anna Karenina"
"The Death of Ivan Ilyich"
"Family Happiness"
- all by Tolstoy

These are really necessary reading.

clau clau

Quote from: Greg on June 29, 2020, 06:38:40 AM
Quote from: clau clau on June 26, 2020, 04:19:24 PM

I heard they are no longer going to use the Uncle Ben's image on the rice.

Yes, I saw that also; which is why I changed my avatar (because it pissed me off).

I have a theory about it. I think the people behind this (Democrats) have a mindset of "the blacks must stay on the plantation".  Back in the times of slavery it was enforced with whips and burning crosses and fear.  That bullshit they teach in US schools about how the racists changed from the Democrat to the Republicans is just that. Hilary Clinton attended Senator Robert Byrd's funeral.

The modern version of the plantation is to keep the blacks living in the hood and voting Democrat.  Any who have the balls to strike out on their own (e.g. Candace Owens, Thomas Sowell, Tommy Sotomayor) are regarded as 'uncle toms' and must be taught a lesson. I've seen examples of this at some of the protests where left wing antifa types are shouting 'nigger' at blacks trying to defend a statue.

Uncle Ben was a successful texan rice farmer. I would have thought that would be cause for celebration that a successful black mans picture was on supermarket shelves across the western world. Same argument goes for 'Aunt Jemina'; but Noooo, our new overlords will not accept that.  'Back to the hood with you and vote democrat boy!'.

Melinda Gates says blacks will be first in line for the Covid19 vaccine.  Yes, of course they will; Eugenics 101.

BLM are scum  edit: ... and Planned Parenthood kills more black people in a 2-week period than the KKK has killed in their entire history.

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Kent

Waugh is essential twentieth-century fiction.  Not just Brideshead Revisited, either, although it's his magnum opus.  I read Vile Bodies not too long ago and I think that book needs to be resuscitated as an anthem for the millennial generation.  The parallels are uncanny, and while I don't think Waugh was trying to predict the future, he did a hell of a job of it.  Probably the most capable satirist to put up the pen since Jonathan Swift.

He also wrote a delightfully politically incorrect book called Black Mischief.  Topical right now.  Apparently it got him in a fair amount of trouble, since it was the first book he wrote after converting to Catholicism, and people were expecting him to not be quite as incendiary and offensive once he started practicing the true religion.  If anything, his conversion probably made him an even more controversial writer.
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

clau clau

Quote from: Kent on June 29, 2020, 08:31:07 AM
Waugh is essential twentieth-century fiction.  Not just Brideshead Revisited, either, although it's his magnum opus.  I read Vile Bodies not too long ago and I think that book needs to be resuscitated as an anthem for the millennial generation.  The parallels are uncanny, and while I don't think Waugh was trying to predict the future, he did a hell of a job of it.  Probably the most capable satirist to put up the pen since Jonathan Swift.

He also wrote a delightfully politically incorrect book called Black Mischief.  Topical right now.  Apparently it got him in a fair amount of trouble, since it was the first book he wrote after converting to Catholicism, and people were expecting him to not be quite as incendiary and offensive once he started practicing the true religion.  If anything, his conversion probably made him an even more controversial writer.

I read "A Handful of Dust" and got really depressed.

Kent

And of course: Shakespeare.  I am not sure if mentioning Shakespeare is 'cheating', but I see he's gone unmentioned in the thread.  Especially his histories and tragedies (I personally don't care for his comedies all that much).  And especially Macbeth and King Lear.  Lear is my favorite, as might be evidenced by my screen name, avatar, and signature.  Macbeth is, well, Macbeth.  Hard to beat.  The best profile of sin in all of literature, in my opinion.

Hamlet is essentially about the reformation and Shakespeare's discontent over the paltry and ineffective Catholic resistance to Anglican England.  It is overrated in the sense that it draws far too much attention as a sort of existentialist-psychoanalytical piece of literature, which isn't the right way to view it.  But there's lots to unpack and digest if you reject that tendency.

Romeo and Juliet suffers from a similar problem.  It's actually a phenomenal work once you divorce yourself from the common ninth grade reading about egalitarianism and love; really, it's a play about the unreliability of the passions and the kind of havoc they wreak if left to their own.

Antony and Cleopatra is a phenomenal warning against the dangers of being cucked.

clau clau

Quote from: Kent on June 29, 2020, 08:38:16 AM
And of course: Shakespeare.  I am not sure if mentioning Shakespeare is 'cheating', but I see he's gone unmentioned in the thread.  Especially his histories and tragedies (I personally don't care for his comedies all that much).  And especially Macbeth and King Lear.  Lear is my favorite, as might be evidenced by my screen name, avatar, and signature.  Macbeth is, well, Macbeth.  Hard to beat.  The best profile of sin in all of literature, in my opinion.

Hamlet is essentially about the reformation and Shakespeare's discontent over the paltry and ineffective Catholic resistance to Anglican England.  It is overrated in the sense that it draws far too much attention as a sort of existentialist-psychoanalytical piece of literature, which isn't the right way to view it.  But there's lots to unpack and digest if you reject that tendency.

Romeo and Juliet suffers from a similar problem.  It's actually a phenomenal work once you divorce yourself from the common ninth grade reading about egalitarianism and love; really, it's a play about the unreliability of the passions and the kind of havoc they wreak if left to their own.

Antony and Cleopatra is a phenomenal warning against the dangers of being cucked.

I like Macbeth, but then I am biased, that was the play we studied at school for O'Levels (Greg did "The Merchant of Venice").

Thanks you for the tip about Vile Bodies.  I'll read that next (on my Kindle). I have been looking for a new book to get stuck into.  That might fit the bill.

I came up with a good definition of a book one really enjoys which is ... It divides you life in two; 'before' you read the book and 'after'.

Maximilian

Waugh is essential twentieth-century fiction.  Not just Brideshead Revisited, either, although it's his magnum opus. 

Very good suggestion. You didn't mention, however, Waugh's true magnum opus, the "Sword of Honour" trilogy.

Kent

Quote from: clau clau on June 29, 2020, 08:55:40 AM

I like Macbeth, but then I am biased, that was the play we studied at school for O'Levels (Greg did "The Merchant of Venice").

Thanks you for the tip about Vile Bodies.  I'll read that next (on my Kindle). I have been looking for a new book to get stuck into.  That might fit the bill.

I came up with a good definition of a book one really enjoys which is ... It divides you life in two; 'before' you read the book and 'after'.

Thanks for mentioning Merchant of Venice-- that's an exception to my previous comment about not caring for his comedies all that much. I loved Merchant of Venice, and also The Taming of the Shrew.  It's mostly the other ones that I find to be less interesting.

Everyone to whom I've ever recommended Brideshead has found it a life-changing book (including myself).  I think that you're right.  The mark of a truly good book is if it can segment your life that way. 

Vile Bodies
is depressing, but in a cynically hilarious kind of way.  You'll have to report back when you finish it.  His earlier satires are tremendously quick reads, which is nice.

Kent

Quote from: Maximilian on June 29, 2020, 09:24:32 AM
Waugh is essential twentieth-century fiction.  Not just Brideshead Revisited, either, although it's his magnum opus. 

Very good suggestion. You didn't mention, however, Waugh's true magnum opus, the "Sword of Honour" trilogy.

Do you think so?  I haven't actually finished them.  I have a combined volume, never got very far (I realize this sounds bad from the guy who brought Waugh up).  No particular reason, I think I just got busy with other things and never picked it up again.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Maximilian on June 29, 2020, 07:33:28 AM
"War and Peace"
"Anna Karenina"
"The Death of Ivan Ilyich"
"Family Happiness"
- all by Tolstoy

These are really necessary reading.

Anna Karenina is a wonderful book. My favorite character was the train.

Just kidding, even though I think Tolstoy paints the peasant life as too idyllic rather than harsh, I think the message is wonderful.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Greg

Quote from: clau clau on June 29, 2020, 08:55:40 AM

No, I did Henry IV.  Prince Hal and Falstaff, which is a great background for reading Henry V

Oldest son is doing Macbeth.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

I posit that Falstaff is Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford's most complex character. 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Maximilian

Quote from: Kent on June 29, 2020, 09:40:01 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on June 29, 2020, 09:24:32 AM

Do you think so? 

Yes. "Sword of Honour" takes the themes of "Brideshead Revisited" and raises them up to a universal, epic level. "Brideshead Revisited" is a personal story, and excellent on that level. But "Sword of Honour" shows the worldwide, catastrophic effects of the same elements. While still retaining Waugh's personal touch -- I just recently came across a description of how tightly "Sword of Honour" followed Waugh's personal experience during WWII, down to many of the small details, although recast in a fictional package.