Crucifixes, Icons, Rosaries and More

Started by Tales, July 11, 2019, 06:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tales

I am looking for recommendations for sacramentals / sacred art that is not made in China.  Or rosaries that do not fall apart if you sneeze on them too hard.  Where do all go to?

Similarly would anyone like to share photos of their home oratory?  I recall seeing one of Livenotonevil's which looked quite nice.

Gardener

I make my own rosaries usually but I want to learn to do the fully wire-wrapped ones. My current main rosary is a legit ww1 rosary from the US military, which the "combat rosary" is based on. If you are looking for "tough", the "combat rosary" is it. https://romancatholicgear.com/collections/combat-rosaries

Of course you ask for pics after we have packed everything for the upcoming move. I'll see if I have any pics on my phone when I get home.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Maximilian

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on July 11, 2019, 06:17:18 AM

I am looking for recommendations for sacramentals / sacred art that is not made in China.  Or rosaries that do not fall apart if you sneeze on them too hard.  Where do all go to?

Ebay. This is the only place to find high-quality, genuinely Catholic religious goods. You can get massive rosaries that belonged to religious sisters and brothers, the kind that needed a little leather strap on their belt or cincture to hold them.

I feel like these items are authentic relics. The previous owners aren't actually canonized per se, but they used these items in their daily religious devotions for many years.

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on July 11, 2019, 06:17:18 AM

Similarly would anyone like to share photos of their home oratory?  I recall seeing one of Livenotonevil's which looked quite nice.

There was an old thread on this topic that you can search for.

Philip G.

I end up making/making over all my sacramentals it seems.  My wood crucifix I ordered from russia, which unfortunately took months in transit, I re-carved to my liking.  The crucifix that I wear is made of bronze, and I hammer and filed it it to my liking.  It turned out great.  I have made many rosaries over the years. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Gardener

Quote from: Gardener on July 11, 2019, 07:56:56 AM
I make my own rosaries usually but I want to learn to do the fully wire-wrapped ones. My current main rosary is a legit ww1 rosary from the US military, which the "combat rosary" is based on. If you are looking for "tough", the "combat rosary" is it. https://romancatholicgear.com/collections/combat-rosaries

Of course you ask for pics after we have packed everything for the upcoming move. I'll see if I have any pics on my phone when I get home.

Here's a pic of the home altar prior to taking everything down for the move.

What you can barely see if Fra Angelico's Coronation of Mary.

In the home altar are sacramentals, Gueranger's The Liturgical Year, Epiphany water, etc.

My plan with it, once we are moved and moved in to the final house, is to get some of the "stained glass" parishes are starting to use (basically a giant sticker or printed scene). I'll place soft lighting in the back and instead of cloudy glass wherein one can see the stuff inside, it will be stained glass with backlighting.

You'll have to excuse Br. Dominic of the Canons Comedy.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Tales

Gardener,

Cute son.  Mine has recently started to like jumping in front of the camera as well.

Is your home oratory where all family prayers are done?

I have for a good while been strongly considering purchasing the Liturgical Year but have not yet pulled the trigger - how important have you found it to be in your family life?

Do you all keep a prayer intentions journal at your oratory?

We have a small collection of sacred art on top of the piano, but we might move in a couple years to a non-ridiculously tiny home, and so would like to have something more like what you all have set up.

Gardener

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on July 14, 2019, 11:10:51 PM
Gardener,

Cute son.  Mine has recently started to like jumping in front of the camera as well.

1) Is your home oratory where all family prayers are done?

2) I have for a good while been strongly considering purchasing the Liturgical Year but have not yet pulled the trigger - how important have you found it to be in your family life?

3) Do you all keep a prayer intentions journal at your oratory?

4) We have a small collection of sacred art on top of the piano, but we might move in a couple years to a non-ridiculously tiny home, and so would like to have something more like what you all have set up.

Numbered for easier reply.

1) At this time, no. We tend to pray the rosary while the kids are going to sleep. It seems to help them calm down more. Ideally, when they are older, yes it will be a more prominent place of dedicated prayer for main, family prayers. Presently, it sees action more for morning prayers on days I don't leave for work before everyone is up, or rosary on days when I have to be up super early the next day, and therefore will be heading to bed before the kids.

2) I originally purchased TLY for my wife, as she is much more in tune with liturgical facts and history. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but I tend to prefer study as opposed to drive-by learning. It goes in cycles, but I tend to treat it as a reference whereas she reads it.

3) Often, yes. Usually, if we have a request we will write it down and place it on top. When doing novenas, we will usually place a printed copy there as well and mark down days as completed.

4) When we were first married we lived in a small apartment, and didn't have the current piece. Originally we just used a small shelf placed against an otherwise unused wall. Then we moved into a house finally and upgraded to a smaller buffet table for the home altar. That was eventually replaced with the larger cabinet you see in the picture. I have found that a dedicated location is helpful, even if small and seemingly insignificant. It reminds of a place dedicated to prayer and the centralized demonstration of a home and family dedicated to God. Much like the whole person is dedicated to another, though shown with just a small ring on a finger. In doing so, it loses the subconscious association with mere decoration and, often, reminds me of things to keep in mind. It signifies to visitors a dedication, more perhaps than icons, religious pictures, etc., just placed on walls. That we placed it where the typical American home has its television was no accident, and it fortuitously worked out that it is on the East wall.

Wherever we end up, I'd like to also have a dedicated closed space, such as a closet, with a prie dieu and a smaller home altar for personal prayer, meditation, reading, etc. Since we intend to have land, I also intend to place homemade Stations of the Cross on the perimeter of the land. Ultimately, the goal is religious inculcation without overbearing inundation -- such that the Faith is part of daily life, indeed the most important part, and is not a thing which faces relegation to one section of domesticity, whether physical or logical. That instead of being a mere focal point, or even a regrettable afterthought, the home altar rather emanates forth its entire lesson into everything, such that everything ultimately returns to the home altar in a symbiotic relationship of work and prayer.