Opinion on High Liturgical Anglican Use?

Started by Livenotonevil, April 01, 2018, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livenotonevil

So, Pope John Paul II allowed Anglicans to rejoin the Roman Catholic Church but required their liturgies to conform to standard liturgical practices (for example, making explicit the Sacramental nature of the Anglican liturgy), titled the "Anglican Use."

Now, I would like your guys opinions on the Anglican Use - because it seems without a doubt more traditional and more in line with Christian liturgical spirituality, and to me, it makes the Novus Ordo look more Protestant!

However, it still is stripped down in historical content from the Tridentine Mass - or, before that, the Sarum Mass (the Mass of England before Trent and before the Protestant Reformation), with a lot of the prayers from Cranmer still in tact.

What do you guys think?

May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Livenotonevil

May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Gardener

We have several folks on here who attend(ed) the Anglican use parish in San Antonio. Would be interested in hearing their point of view.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Carleendiane

Never attended Anglican use liturgy. But....we lost a priest at one of the local churches so they "borrowed" an Anglican use priest. He is the BEST thing to happen to that parish for decades!!!! He has incorporated latin, chant, polyphony, in to the NO wasteland and has confessions before and after every single Mass. His Saturday confession lines are so long, you have to get there early. I used him for years, one of the best confessors ive ever had. Solid in every way. Especially with the more delicate matters oje may bring to him. He gave homilies about contraception, modest clothing, hell, heaven, judgement,,purgatory. I knew people who were regulars there and they say he is a humble, holy man. Which is easy to detect in his manner and bearing. He requested to be allowed to offer the TLM, but because he is only being "on loan", his bishop,  still his superior, was told no..."you are Anglican roman, not Latin rite. So sadly, that was denied.

So, say what you want about the Anglican influx, but my experience has been that, if this priest is anything to go by, they are better trained, more disciplined, and extremely generous with their time. Nope, not Tridentine, but far better than your average NO priest.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Xavier

Yes, the reception of the Traditional Anglican Communion into the Catholic Church was one of the better decisions made by Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI. We could say it was an instance of true ecumenism, as they were required to convert to and profess the Catholic Faith first to enter Catholic communion. (Or as close to it as we can expect in the mainstream Church - to accept the CCC - which still teaches Papal primacy, transubstantiation etc and other doctrines that Anglicans have historically denied). But I think if the shepherds of the Church had been stronger and the Church wasn't going through Her own crisis, ordinariate priest converts would be 10X more at least - because the episcopal denomination in the us and mainstream anglicanism in Britain has been in free fall collapse for a long time. See for e.g. http://anglicanmainstream.org/why-is-the-episcopal-church-near-collapse-3/

Nevertheless, always good to have some priests closer to the Tridentine, and by all accounts, most of the priests in the Ordinariate for former Anglicans are such. If Lutherans etc were to return to Catholic communion, something similar to an Ordinariate would be provided. For Orthodox, even that won't be necessary; as the Eastern Catholic Churches show. The Tridentine Mass is still superior to the Anglican use Missal though; which in turn is superior to the Novus Ordo Missae. To put it very roughly and somewhat simplistically, we could say the Ordinariate liturgy is at a minimum 10X than the NOM, which is less than ten times as good as the Tridentine Mass codified by Pope St. Pius V, the true Mass in the Latin liturgical Tradition.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

martin88nyc

Quote from: Xavier on April 03, 2018, 11:22:27 PM
Yes, the reception of the Traditional Anglican Communion into the Catholic Church was one of the better decisions made by Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI. We could say it was an instance of true ecumenism, as they were required to convert to and profess the Catholic Faith first to enter Catholic communion. (Or as close to it as we can expect in the mainstream Church - to accept the CCC - which still teaches Papal primacy, transubstantiation etc and other doctrines that Anglicans have historically denied). But I think if the shepherds of the Church had been stronger and the Church wasn't going through Her own crisis, ordinariate priest converts would be 10X more at least - because the episcopal denomination in the us and mainstream anglicanism in Britain has been in free fall collapse for a long time. See for e.g. http://anglicanmainstream.org/why-is-the-episcopal-church-near-collapse-3/

Nevertheless, always good to have some priests closer to the Tridentine, and by all accounts, most of the priests in the Ordinariate for former Anglicans are such. If Lutherans etc were to return to Catholic communion, something similar to an Ordinariate would be provided. For Orthodox, even that won't be necessary; as the Eastern Catholic Churches show. The Tridentine Mass is still superior to the Anglican use Missal though; which in turn is superior to the Novus Ordo Missae. To put it very roughly and somewhat simplistically, we could say the Ordinariate liturgy is at a minimum 10X than the NOM, which is less than ten times as good as the Tridentine Mass codified by Pope St. Pius V, the true Mass in the Latin liturgical Tradition.
The Anglican use reflects closer what the Vatican II envisioned for the liturgical reform.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Christina_S

I have worked in church music at Anglican churches for about 18 months now, and honestly, even the contemporary prottie-style ones put a lot of effort into making good liturgy happen. In the church I'm currently at, it's not all about entertainment or "let's just hold hands and luv each other" (albeit, it's not all about going out to convert people, but they focus on personal holiness a lot). When it comes to music, optional readings in the liturgy, servers, altar decorations: they usually put effort into it because they value externals more than a lot of other denominations.
I would love to see more of the Anglican Use; due to the bishop(s) I'm under, that's highly unlikely to happen anytime soon.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

The Harlequin King

The parish in the first video is where I was received into the Church and belonged for nearly 10 years before moving away.

Today, as an instituted acolyte of the Ordinariate, I'm very familiar with the Anglican Use liturgy.

lauermar

The problem I have with Anglican services is exactly what you said. It self-identifies as aligning with the Church of England in its history and customs. It hasn't cast off the old allegiance to Anglican theology. , it simply gets along with papal authority. As always, there's a smidgen of Cranmer that agrees with the Novus Ordo religion. Like a drop of poison in a clean fountain. It isn't Catholic. I would stay away.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

martin88nyc

Quote from: lauermar on May 06, 2018, 04:34:46 PM
The problem I have with Anglican services is exactly what you said. It self-identifies as aligning with the Church of England in its history and customs. It hasn't cast off the old allegiance to Anglican theology. , it simply gets along with papal authority. As always, there's a smidgen of Cranmer that agrees with the Novus Ordo religion. Like a drop of poison in a clean fountain. It isn't Catholic. I would stay away.
The Ordinariate's Order of Mass has been corrected and revised in 2013. I think many from the Ordinariate would like to see the return of the "ancient" Sarum Rite. If you read their Missal you will not find anything uncatholic there.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: lauermar on May 06, 2018, 04:34:46 PM

As an instituted acolyte of the Ordinariate who was received into the Catholic Church at an "Anglican Use" parish (before the Ordinariate existed), I strongly disagree with this post. The Ordinariate is committed to being fully Catholic. It's slanderous to suggest otherwise. You seem to not have any idea what you're speaking of. There is no "Anglican theology" taught in Ordinariate churches. Indeed, the word "Anglican" is not officially used to describe anything we do.

jovan66102

As a former Anglican who came into the Church long before the Anglican Use or the erection of the Ordinariates, I would point out that most of those who came into the Church had long since 'cast off the old allegiance to Anglican theology' if by 'Anglican theology' is meant the protestant theology of the early Anglican Church. I learned my Anglicanism from a catechism that, with the addition of a chapter on Papal Infallibility, could be used in any Traditionalist catechetical program.

Those who entered Roman Unity were the highest of the High Church Anglo-Catholic Anglicans. They had long since repudiated protestantism and the only thing they lacked was the Papacy, which they now accept. I have not been privileged to attend an Ordinariate Parish, but given my experience as a youth, I can only imagine that it is a beautiful, reverently celebrated Mass, in conformity to the Catholic Faith.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Warwick

I went  to an AU parish, it was nice,but i think it  was too much of a,shock seeing a priest witk children