Buy American

Started by Wicked Papist, March 24, 2014, 12:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Papist

Some people I know seem to think that buying American products is the best way to go.  They won't buy foreign cars, and they avoid buying foreign things if American-made alternatives are available.

What I haven't seen is the same determination when it comes to movies, books, television, and video games.  Why not support American producers of entertainment and boycott anything foreign-made?  This would mean no Japanese video games, no Doctor Who, and no Canadian television.

The Harlequin King

Those are intellectual properties that can't be imitated by anything other than themselves.

Wicked Papist

They are still products intended for consumption.  By choosing American entertainment over foreign productions, viewers are essentially buying American.

Pheo

Enjoy all that Clancy and Grisham.  I think you'd be better off adding the writings of the Saints and even someone like Tolstoy to your library, but there you have it.

(Or: a pure "Buy American" is unrealistic.)

On the plus side you have Breaking Bad.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Wicked Papist

I think it would be obvious to make Catholic literature an exception.

Pheo

So then really it's "buy intelligently," or even "buy Catholic - if possible."  Not: "buy American."

Interestingly, a good chunk of American films have been shot wholly or partially in Canada (e.g. The Incredible Hulk, Titanic, Twilight, Capote...Mean Girls).  That puts the policy in a bit of a quandary with all those American dollars flooding into our igloos ;D
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Wicked Papist

Well if you want to nitpick...

Anyway, stuff often gets shot in Canada as a tax or union loophole.

zork

Canada makes good stuff. Bioware's video games, The New Red Green Show. (I know, I know...)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Spooky

Quote from: Wicked Papist on March 24, 2014, 12:42:36 PM
Some people I know seem to think that buying American products is the best way to go.  They won't buy foreign cars, and they avoid buying foreign things if American-made alternatives are available.

What I haven't seen is the same determination when it comes to movies, books, television, and video games.  Why not support American producers of entertainment and boycott anything foreign-made?  This would mean no Japanese video games, no Doctor Who, and no Canadian television.

So, what you're saying is people who buy American products are a bunch of hypocrites because their entertainment isn't 100% American? It's not because they or a relative works at Ford or GM or because he wants to support the local economy (locally grown produce etc). No, it must be because they're hypocrites.

OCLittleFlower

American made isn't a priority for us.  Even those who do make it a priority often cave, since there are some products that have no American made equivalent, from what I hear.  Personally, I buy the best I can get for the money I've got and I call it a day.

There are other things where I am picky about the country for that particular item -- American made vodka is the most disgusting thing I've ever had the misfortune of tasting.  Okay, maybe not that bad, since I've had this very bitter Italian soda that I was told was "like Coca-Cola."  That was a shocker!   :P

I can't imagine limiting everything to just American items, even where it is possible.  No more international food store shopping, no more international wine.  If you wanted to be a real nutcase about it, you couldn't even buy souvenirs when you travel, if you were willing to travel outside the US at all.  And even inside the US, those Disney World t-shirts might be made elsewhere.  ::)
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

VeraeFidei

Quote from: Pheo on March 25, 2014, 09:40:09 AM
So then really it's "buy intelligently," or even "buy Catholic - if possible."  Not: "buy American."

Interestingly, a good chunk of American films have been shot wholly or partially in Canada (e.g. The Incredible Hulk, Titanic, Twilight, Capote...Mean Girls).  That puts the policy in a bit of a quandary with all those American dollars flooding into our igloos ;D
Vancouver=Hollywood North, so they say.

Wicked Papist

Quote from: Spooky on March 25, 2014, 12:33:39 PM

So, what you're saying is people who buy American products are a bunch of hypocrites because their entertainment isn't 100% American? It's not because they or a relative works at Ford or GM or because he wants to support the local economy (locally grown produce etc). No, it must be because they're hypocrites.

You're the local angry snarker, I take it.

Pheo

I was just in Michigan this past weekend - went out to the Olive Garden (I had forgotten how salty their food is) and the waitress gave my table a mini pep talk about how we should go shopping for the rest of the day to help stimulate the economy.  It was funny.  And the Michigan accent is really growing on me.

I only spent like $12 though.

Spooky

Quote from: Wicked Papist on March 25, 2014, 04:38:44 PM

So, you are saying they're hypocrites?  :shrug:

Quote from: PheoAnd the Michigan accent is really growing on me.
Oh yah! Theenks fer shoppin heer. Have a paaaaap, it's Faygo!  :patriot:

Wicked Papist

Quote from: Spooky on March 25, 2014, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: Wicked Papist on March 25, 2014, 04:38:44 PM

So, you are saying they're hypocrites?  :shrug:

No?