Spirituality - And The War On Meaning

Started by Vetus Ordo, May 23, 2019, 01:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

"Traditional, spiritual cultures saw meaning in everything -- male and female, sun and moon, earth and sky, etc. Yet, wanting to be free of all constraints, modern, Western man has begun to reject, and even to attack, meaning. Something can be defended only if it is meaningless -- or can be portrayed as such. In this short video, we look at the anti-spiritual war on meaning. "

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NM5h6jGKOE[/yt]
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Maximilian

Shave, comb your hair, put on a shirt.

One can hardly claim to be a representative of traditional views dressed like that.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Maximilian on May 23, 2019, 03:06:56 PM

One can hardly claim to be a representative of traditional views dressed like that.

Being clean-shaven, having a pristine combed hair and wearing shirts are externals of little importance.

It is the substance that matters.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 23, 2019, 04:13:53 PM

Being clean-shaven, having a pristine combed hair and wearing shirts are externals of little importance.

Externals can draw the imperfect mind away from the substance that matters.  We can't assume that everyone we talk to is perfect. It's a matter of dressing appropriately, so as not drawing attention to ourselves.

But people can have good reasons for dressing this way, and even if they are at fault in this relatively little thing I wouldn't totally reject them as a representative of something greater than they are. 

I think of Saint Symeon Stylites.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Non Nobis on May 23, 2019, 04:29:58 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 23, 2019, 04:13:53 PM

Externals can draw the imperfect mind away from the substance that matters.  We can't assume that everyone we talk to is perfect. It's a matter of dressing appropriately, so as not drawing attention to ourselves.

The man in question is dressed appropriately.

To claim otherwise reeks of 1950's Pharisaism.

red solo cup

I have to admit that at first the collarless shirt irritated me. The whole Steven Jobs I'm so wealthy-I can-look-anyway-I-want etc. But a few minutes of listening to him and I forgot about the look. It would have been nice if he had offered some solutions for the lack of meaning these days but perhaps that will come in subsequent videos. Still it was a compelling watch.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Maximilian

Quote from: red solo cup on May 24, 2019, 03:44:06 AM

But a few minutes of listening to him and I forgot about the look.

Really? I had the opposite experience. I tried to listen to him despite his "unemployed slacker living in his parents basement" appearance, but he also can't talk. He mumbles and doesn't get to the point. If he has a point.

Gardener

Water is wet and rocks are hard. Read John Senior's The Death of Christian Culture. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Mono no aware

Aside from the disheveled appearance, he lost me at his early mentions of "initiatic" such-and-such.   I know that sound, and it's all a load of third-generation Julius Evola-style gnosticism blather.

Gardener

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 24, 2019, 08:06:58 AM
Aside from the disheveled appearance, he lost me at his early mentions of "initiatic" such-and-such.   I know that sound, and it's all a load of third-generation Julius Evola-style gnosticism blather.

He's... an interesting sort, influenced by all the wrong things.

https://angelmillar.com/my-life/
https://angelmillar.com/angel-millar/

Mason or at least unduly obsessed with them?
https://angelmillar.com/art/

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Mono no aware

In a Google image search for Angel Millar, it looks as if he normally presents himself well, if perhaps a bit too sharp and stylish.  His overall program, however, appears to be esoteric hooey.  Someone I quite like these days is the contrarian biblical scholar and skeptic Robert M. Price, who is obscenely flabby and unkempt (no vegetarian he, I'm sure), and who shows up for his lectures and debates with Birkenstocks for his footwear.  I wish he would present himself better.  But then again, he is a self-professed Trump-supporting Republican devotee of sci-fi & fantasy and listens to Rush (the band, that is, but possibly the pundit as well).  He is a folksy, avuncular character, and his personal presentation just about suits him, so I am able to forgive it.  I'll bet he would scorch Angel Millar if they had a debate.

Fleur-de-Lys

I can relate to what a lot of you are saying. I have a hard time paying attention to a man who is speaking at length if he isn't handsome. It also helps if he has a nice deep voice.

Gardener

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 24, 2019, 09:08:02 AM
I can relate to what a lot of you are saying. I have a hard time paying attention to a man who is speaking at length if he isn't handsome. It also helps if he has a nice deep voice.

For the sake of your soul, please do not watch any early Johnny Cash videos.

Maximilian

Quote from: Gardener on May 24, 2019, 09:13:52 AM

For the sake of your soul, please do not watch any early Johnny Cash videos.

Young Johnny Cash looks remarkably similar to the traditional Catholic Kunkel boy who was recently in the news for the vaccination controversy in Kentucky.

Fleur-de-Lys

Ah, well, I can safely say that my soul is in no danger from the young Mr. Cash. No thanks to Maximilian, who just wantonly posted that video despite Gardener's warning.