To those of you who love cleaning

Started by per_passionem_eius, November 02, 2013, 06:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

per_passionem_eius

Those most blessed among us who are graced with the love to clean: share your love here, and convert a sinner! 

Tell us your secrets!

Share your successes!

Post some before and after pics!

Inspire us who are not so blessed to make our homes shine! 

Wake up the dormant busy beavers in us, and put to death the lazy Susans!

Etc.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

ResRev

I love the method in the book, The House that Cleans Itself. So far my house hasn't begun to clean, but I'm patient.

In the meantime, I've fallen in love with microfiber rags for cleaning everything.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Archer

I just spent the last hour cleaning throw up off our couch. I definitely did not love it.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

erin is nice

Quote from: ResRev on November 02, 2013, 06:18:43 PM
I love the method in the book, The House that Cleans Itself. So far my house hasn't begun to clean, but I'm patient.

I have been meaning to read this book for several years... Haven't gotten around to it  :lol:

verenaerin

I can't imagine anyone with a bunch of kids that "love" to clean.

Perhaps the first time they clean something, one might get something out of it, but by the umpteenth million time, that day!, it gets more then old.

Hannelore

I watch a couple of episodes of Hoarders, and then clean until I run out of steam.  ;) Also, making a list of things to do, taking breaks every so often, and "rewarding" yourself with something after a job well done are good tactics. I like to listen to good audio books, too, while I clean, to keep my mind busy and make the work go faster. 
My Lord and my God.

piabee

I love cleaning, but only about twice a year. Devoted Knuckles' method of drinking while cleaning is helpful. I will also put a (long) cd on and then not allow myself to leave the room I'm working on until it's over.

Kaesekopf

My cleaning process is terrible.

I usually take all my crap, sit down at a table, put on a sermon or two (Audio Sancto, usually), and clean.  By which I usually "condense" two boxes into one box and then throw things out. 

It is slow-going, but somewhat useful.

Or, I'll put classical on and clean.

I'm a weirdo.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

piabee

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 03, 2013, 12:30:11 AM

This. Unless it's Ride of the Valkyries or something you can't clean to classical. My room was always messiest during Lent when I gave up non-classical music.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: piabee on November 03, 2013, 12:33:44 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 03, 2013, 12:30:11 AM

This. Unless it's Ride of the Valkyries or something you can't clean to classical. My room was always messiest during Lent when I gave up non-classical music.

Haha.  I would say you're wrong.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Basilios

Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Jayne

Quote from: Basilios on November 03, 2013, 12:56:04 AM
I love cleaning. Nothing better.

I enjoy cleaning very much when I do not have young children to deal with.  Children mean interruptions and seeing the work undone almost immediately.  But without them, I find cleaning meditative and satisfying.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Basilios

One of my secrets which is probably not really a secret is using newspaper when cleaning windows. I use a squeegee to get as much of the water off, then using bunched up newspaper I buff the window. Works a charm and leaves no streaks usually.

Also, using toilet paper on metallic fittings/kitchen appliances. I've found that it makes things really shiny when you use it to buff.

Also, if you have nasty stains on glass or windows, use steel wool. Make sure it is glass though and not some kind of plastic because otherwise you will scratch it. But glass by itself won't be scratched by steel wool.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

moneil

I hate cleaning but like organizing, so in my house under the cobwebs and on top of the dust things are usually neat and tidy.  I'm going to have to check out "The House That Cleans Itself".

I do love Basilos' remark on using newspaper for glass ... been doing it for years.  My main motivation is 'cuz I'm green and hated using all those paper towels, but newspapers work really well for this.  I'm going to have to try out the TP tip.

ResRev

The one tip I've found that works best is putting stuff where you use it, even if you have to have a bunch of one item. If I have to search under the kitchen sink for the glass cleaner, I'll probably put off cleaning the bathroom mirror. We also have a few staplers, one in the school supply desk and one near the table where I pay bills.

My house is still a mess. But we live there, so...
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13