Food storage guide

Started by Gardener, September 21, 2017, 10:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

I've done a little fermenting. I need to step up my game. Whey can also be used, instead of salt, to start the fermenting process.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Lynne on September 22, 2017, 03:28:20 AM
I've done a little fermenting. I need to step up my game. Whey can also be used, instead of salt, to start the fermenting process.

great idea!  I love to make turo and always have lots of whey.  It's great for soup addition, and I give some to the dogs, and freeze a lot, but I'll try it w/ fermenting.
I, too, am woefully behind in getting this under my belt.  Also, canning and sprouting... I have just enough experience to be dangerous.  <sigh>

We were going to order some organic freeze dried meals, but I was unaware of the salt issue, and detailed in this food storage doc. I'll investigate further.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Heinrich

I still have stocked in a barn out, out far. This was 10 years ago. Better check on it.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

Quote from: Heinrich on September 22, 2017, 10:25:29 PM
I still have stocked in a barn out, out far. This was 10 years ago. Better check on it.

I'd recommend keeping it at home, or having a separate stash for home, if able.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Greg

If the living are going to envy the dead, then why would I go out of my way to live?

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Gardener

Quote from: Greg on September 23, 2017, 01:49:47 AM
If the living are going to envy the dead, then why would I go out of my way to live?

Food storage, despite what it has been cast as, is not about surviving a global, worst-case scenario. I suppose it could be that. A car could also be a submarine with the right engineering, too.

National, Regional, or even Personal disaster is the point of food storage. It's simply a hedge against future volatility: Lost job, natural disaster, etc.

Greg

no natural disaster in a first world country is going to warrant storing more than 2 weeks of food.  because the response is always faster if you are white.

if the population around you does not have food then THEY become the problem.

if you lose your job your problem is rent, not food.  Food is insanely cheap.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Gardener

An issue like Katrina, Harvey, etc., needs to have people able to not overwhelm the help needed for the unprepared/whose preparations got destroyed. Short term = don't bother the .gov unless you absolutely have to.

But a protracted situation has the potential for civil insurrection due to anger at the .gov. So folks who are prepared to survive beyond that do not need .gov assistance and can become leaders/agents of an insurrection movement.

If a situation were to arise which is protracted in nature, they need people to give them enough time to get the infrastructure/process in place to determine if they can shorten it and if not, they need to have people desperate for the assistance they can provide. This is better to them than going against the .gov in a show of leadership/ability to maintain a guerrilla action (however small) in light of .gov inability to restore order.

In short:

Be prepared, but not too prepared, because being too prepared = ability to not need .gov. (.gov view)

Ability to not need .gov = .gov lacks a reason for existence. (.gov view)

This is not to say we do not need civil authority. We do. Man is a social being and needs a hierarchical system in order to enact the reality of subsidiarity. What they don't want is for the citizen to supplant the .gov when its raison d'etre is unable to be facilitated due to the system being overwhelmed.

The key in such a situation as others lacking food and depending on the .gov, the key is to not advertise it to one's neighbors. Fasting and subsistence eating to also appear to be losing weight would be a good tactic -- it also prolongs the supply. Depending on the .gov is not the answer though. Especially if it comes with strings attached.

Having ability to pay mortgage/rent in a personal disaster situation is also needed, I concur. But in such a situation, "insanely cheap" food might become not so cheap in relation to one's means. And, that would generally mean things like rice and beans -- good food storage items anyway.

The real concern in a disaster of a non-personal variety is water. It's always been water. It always will be water. That needs to be addressed as well, especially for those who are storing food which needs it for reconstitution.

Heinrich

Quote from: Gardener on September 22, 2017, 10:40:30 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on September 22, 2017, 10:25:29 PM

I'd recommend keeping it at home, or having a separate stash for home, if able.

I do have a stash here as well. The "yonder" rallying point was from a time when I was certain that the economic collapse(that is not going to happen) was going to occur. "Getting-out-of-dodge" was the objective. Yes, it is on the plains, not mountains. Under good driving, w/o panicked folk fleeing the burn clogging 24 and Judge Orr Road, it takes 1 - 1.5 hours to get there. Still in EP County.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.