How do you listen to music?

Started by Insanis, May 25, 2021, 06:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insanis

I am listing to some new old music I bought (or in this case, was given).

After a bit of misunderstanding about my new case for my 45s, I was wondering, how many here listen to music the traditional way, on an analog spinning disc?

I have some 45s, but I mostly listen to LPs and I have a bunch of 78s too.

Along with these formats, I also have other formats, but I don't go for that Modernist digital distribution nonsense.

Radio is rarely good these days and I don't listen to it regularly, but if I hear something good on the radio, I usually try to find the album or single to own.

Bernadette

CDs. I used to have a record player and lots of records, but I gave them away.
My Lord and my God.

DigitalLogos

With my ears.

But seriously, in normal Millennial fashion I tend to stick with streaming. I also have some CDs in my vehicle since its old enough to have a stock 6-CD changer  8)
While we do have a turn-table at home for vinyl, I never really got into it much.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Insanis on May 25, 2021, 06:11:25 PMAfter a bit of misunderstanding about my new case for my 45s, I was wondering, how many here listen to music the traditional way, on an analog spinning disc?

Isn't that a bit too modernist still?  I prefer the more traditional way of listening to it live.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Insanis

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 25, 2021, 08:49:26 PM
Quote from: Insanis on May 25, 2021, 06:11:25 PMAfter a bit of misunderstanding about my new case for my 45s, I was wondering, how many here listen to music the traditional way, on an analog spinning disc?

Isn't that a bit too modernist still?  I prefer the more traditional way of listening to it live.

Decadent street performances with crowds? Depravity!

Tennessean

Hearing music everywhere is a brand new development. You had to listen to street performances, go to church, or go to the opera if you wanted music, not too long ago. Our constant bombardment with music is probably the leading reason music sucks.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Insanis on May 25, 2021, 08:51:08 PM
Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 25, 2021, 08:49:26 PM

Decadent street performances with crowds? Depravity!

I have the privelege of live performances every day, from the comfort of my home....no need to be bothered with street crowds.  My kids love to sing (so do I, but I wouldn't recommend others besides my children listen).  Though, I do admit, there is a certain level of depravity among the kids at times.  I do my best to keep it in check, though  ;)

Melkor

Spotify on my desktop or phone.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Tennessean on May 26, 2021, 03:28:08 AM
Our constant bombardment with music is probably the leading reason music sucks.

That depends on how one allows oneself to listen to it.

That is why I asked how we listen to music.

Unless one is working in a store that pipes it through constantly, one isn't under constant bombardment. If one is hearing sucky music constantly, one should change that.

(This is why I have my records and CDs...to listen to music that doesn't suck.)

Elizabeth.2

I use a good portable speaker with my phone and it is wonderful.