Can you eat beef flavour crisps on Friday

Started by clau clau, December 01, 2023, 05:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: drummerboy on January 15, 2024, 12:06:15 PMBut I've read suet is acceptable to use for Friday abstinence requirements, its up the individual how stringent they wish to be.

This was my understanding as well, that broths and rendered fats are permitted as long as there is nothing in them that could be identified as a piece of meat.

It might seem to go against the spirit of the law.  But I'm not going to be the one to criticize because we usually end up consuming butter in place of whatever rendered fat would have been used.
this page left intentionally blank

Innocent Smith

I think the idea that you may be getting away with something is really what is important here, rather than the artificial or, 'natural flavors', that go into producing a meat tasty crisp/chip. 

BTW, sometimes MSG can be listed on a label as natural flavoring. 

How many times have I heard people talk about ordering a pizza on Fridays?  I have done it myself.  It is hardly a sacrifice.  Nor is buying a $50 piece of halibut exactly what I would call roughing it.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

The Curt Jester

Would ordering some orange roughy be roughing it?

To quote a prominent poster, "I'll get me coat."
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,