Done Anything Fun Lately?

Started by piabee, March 11, 2013, 01:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dom Passerini

Quote from: Mithrandylan on April 05, 2013, 11:24:48 PM
Confirmations, mass and conference with +W.  And there was food and beer, too. 

Best evening I've had in a looooong time.

Ya, just don't say that where k_v can hear you...  :-X

Ooh, I went to Trader Joe's and bought some nice food and booze and a big bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap, and then I went next door to the second-hand book store and picked up a copy of the Onion's "Our Dumb Century" which is lol, if you must know.
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Hawaii Five-0

Last month I spent a couple of weeks on Oahu's north shore,  I got some great surf and four rounds of golf.  It was a real treat!
Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer. - Padre Pio

kayla_veronica

Quote from: Dom Passerini on April 06, 2013, 02:17:15 AM
Quote from: Mithrandylan on April 05, 2013, 11:24:48 PM
Confirmations, mass and conference with +W.  And there was food and beer, too. 

Best evening I've had in a looooong time.

Ya, just don't say that where k_v can hear you...  :-X

Ha, it's true for both of us! We don't get out much, especially not with chapel folks. It was great!
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Penelope

Went to the National Zoo with my fiance on Thursday. Saw the peacocks (my favorite) in the outdoor flight exhibit. Got really close to one of them and had to fight the urge to reach out and touch him. What beautiful creatures. Saw the peahen, too, but she isn't nearly as impressive.

Archer

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 05, 2013, 08:18:32 PM
I attended a performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 with a friend and got a beer and pizza beforehand.

That's my favorite symphony.  Jealous!
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Archer

Quote from: Penelope on April 06, 2013, 02:36:26 PM
Went to the National Zoo with my fiance on Thursday. Saw the peacocks (my favorite) in the outdoor flight exhibit. Got really close to one of them and had to fight the urge to reach out and touch him. What beautiful creatures. Saw the peahen, too, but she isn't nearly as impressive.

At the resort we spent our honeymoon at there were peacocks roaming around everywhere.  You'd be walking down a path or sidewalk and a peacock would cut right in front of you.  It was pretty cool. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Archer on April 06, 2013, 02:43:47 PM
I attended a performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 with a friend and got a beer and pizza beforehand.

It's really good.  The conductor did something kinda unique.  It was an "Insights" program.  Instead of playing the entire symphony outright, first he gave us a brief talk on the entire thing.  Then he would play for us snippets of the movements and show us similarities to other works (like, apparently Beethoven composed no. 5 and no. 6 alongside each other, and the similarity is striking!  at least esp. in the first movement).  Then he played the first movement in its entirety, then walked us through the second, then played the second, and then walked through 3, 4, and 5 movements and then played them. 

It felt more like an intimate college lecture and performance than a fancy pants orchestra!  It was really cool.  I gained a lot. 

And it was only $20!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Heinrich

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 06, 2013, 08:48:34 PM
Quote from: Archer on April 06, 2013, 02:43:47 PM

It's really good.  The conductor did something kinda unique.  It was an "Insights" program.  Instead of playing the entire symphony outright, first he gave us a brief talk on the entire thing.  Then he would play for us snippets of the movements and show us similarities to other works (like, apparently Beethoven composed no. 5 and no. 6 alongside each other, and the similarity is striking!  at least esp. in the first movement).  Then he played the first movement in its entirety, then walked us through the second, then played the second, and then walked through 3, 4, and 5 movements and then played them. 

It felt more like an intimate college lecture and performance than a fancy pants orchestra!  It was really cool.  I gained a lot. 

And it was only $20!

Was it on ISU's campus? Is Dugan's Conversation Bar still around?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Heinrich

I did something similar, but on a smaller scale. No cameraman, either and I was in the Colorado Rockies, not Queen possessed territory(where has Jovan, been BTW?). It was fun, but the tailbone does hurt.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8JKzhRsOOs[/yt]

Edited to fix YT link. --P
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

This was at IUS. IU's southeast campus in new Albany.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Dom Passerini

The wife and I took one of our priests to dinner and then to a performance of Mozart's Marriage of Figaro the other night.  I gotta say, I have mixed emotions.  We had fun but I seriously hate sitting through opera if I'm not working in the pit.  Plus, it's Mozart, so it's high quality music, but a lot of it's boring.  I've probably sat through 10 or 15 operas but this was only my 2nd time sitting in the audience.  I prefer the pit.  To top it off I asked the wife how much the tickets were and the conversation went like this:

Me: How much were the tickets?
Her: $78
Me: Oh, that's not so bad
Her: Each
Me:  :o

Honestly, I'm a musician married to an artist...I'm not made out of money!

But ya, it was fun anyway.
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Heinrich

That sounds like a winner of a night, regardless.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Dom Passerini on April 10, 2013, 01:59:50 AM
The wife and I took one of our priests to dinner and then to a performance of Mozart's Marriage of Figaro the other night.  I gotta say, I have mixed emotions.  We had fun but I seriously hate sitting through opera if I'm not working in the pit.  Plus, it's Mozart, so it's high quality music, but a lot of it's boring.  I've probably sat through 10 or 15 operas but this was only my 2nd time sitting in the audience.  I prefer the pit.  To top it off I asked the wife how much the tickets were and the conversation went like this:

Me: How much were the tickets?
Her: $78
Me: Oh, that's not so bad
Her: Each
Me:  :o

Honestly, I'm a musician married to an artist...I'm not made out of money!

But ya, it was fun anyway.

Figaro is boring?
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Archer

piabee

Quote from: Archer on April 10, 2013, 05:28:04 PM
Obviously you were at the wrong opera house.

Or the wrong opera! That aria is from the Barber of Seville, although it is sung by the same character as Figaro in the Marriage of Figaro.