What Kind of Artwork Have You Tried?

Started by The Curt Jester, June 22, 2021, 05:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Curt Jester

In the spirit of Queen.saints thread about cooking (HAVE YOU...), here's one about being an artist. 

Have you tried art of any kind? 
What medium?
What did you make?
How successful? 
Have you ever sold anything you made?
If you were to try again, what would you use?

I'll post my answers in a different post to keep the question part open.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

The Curt Jester

Have you tried art of any kind?   Yes.  I am a musician, so that's art, but I'm actually referring to visual art, so scratch that.  However, I've tried quite a few other things, though nothing for any long period of time.
What medium? Paints (acrylic), sculpting (paper maché), Drawing (Pencil/Colored pencil), Origami, Wood Turning (I consider it artistic - it was also a disaster)
What did you make? Probably my best (not very good) would be colored pencil sketches.  They are at least recognizable, though hardly masterpieces.
How successful? Not very.  While I'm sure I could do well with study, I've never put a lot of effort into learning.  Dabbling is fun, but anything else is work.
Have you ever sold anything you made? Yes, surprisingly.  When I was about six or seven, I sculpted a snake out of paper maché and painted it.  Sold it at a craft/art show for a couple dollars.  I didn't put a protective coat on it, so I'm sure the bugs ate it within a couple years if not sooner.
If you were to try again, what would you use? I've been interested in trying oil paints, but who knows if I'll ever get around to it.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Optatus

I don't call myself an artist since at best I do folk art of an amateur sort, but:

Have you tried art of any kind? Yes
What medium? Wood
What did you make? Carvings; started with caricature whittling (which I still love), then cottonwood bark carving, which is something like relief carving, and now chip carving is my current favourite.
How successful? I like some of my chip carvings, but I'm nowhere near the pros.
Have you ever sold anything you made? No, I doubt I'd ever feel comfortable trying to sell anything, but I given a few things as gifts.
If you were to try again, what would you use? I carve something pretty much every day, but I'd like to branch out one day into spoon and bowl carving, at least to try it. I would need hook knives, a carving axe, maybe even a lathe.

Melkor

Have you tried art of any kind? I always tried to draw when I was younger. My hand was always too heavy, and my artistic sense is severely lacking.
What medium? Aside from sketches/doodling, nothing.
What did you make? Skull and blades (Jack Rackham's flag) for my room door. I also copied a British flag.
How successful? Looked like garbage but I was oh so proud.
Have you ever sold anything you made? No.
If you were to try again, what would you use? A template.

Sorry man, probably not the answers you were looking for. Lol
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

diaduit

Have you tried art of any kind? I love making window displays for my boss and also Christmas decorations
What medium? props and for Christmas decorations, I love big leafy displays
What did you make?  a piece made of 3 intertwined large twigs and decorated it, even have an a miniature bunch of real lavender that still lasts years later.
How successful? For me its middle of the road but admired all the same and for my boss, she loves anyone else to do the windows except her.
Have you ever sold anything you made? nah
If you were to try again, what would you use? I want to re create Christmas of the eighties next year with loads of crepe paper and bell shaped paper ceiling deco.

I'm not an artist but I have a creative streak.

Bernadette

I make and sell quilts. I'm currently making a simple one for myself. And I've made my own leather purses. And dolls and bears. That's about as creative as I get.
My Lord and my God.

queen.saints

Have you tried art of any kind? Yes

What medium? Pencil, watercolor, paper mâché, wrapping paper, frosting

What did you make? Always enjoyed drawing with pencil, made lots of watercolor projects in school, decorated boxes for presents with paper mâché, love special wrapping paper (not sure if that counts, but making decors out of paper at least feels like art), made a folk-art gingerbread house/cookies that took several weeks once.

How successful? Have one pencil drawing from high school that turned out well to the point that years later it still doesn't embarrass me. One watercolor that's only mildly embarrassing. The present boxes and wrapping paper are usually successful. The gingerbread house was actually a lot of fun/work and the separate pieces turned out well, but I dipped one side in caramel glue without thinking and had to scrape it off and redo it and it didn't look as nice after that. The cookies were a much bigger success, because they didn't involve construction.

Have you ever sold anything you made? No

If you were to try again, what would you use? I have a big unfinished project for the "Apocalypse Prize" contest. Hoping to use watercolor pencils to color it in.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.