Started by Antoninus, December 29, 2016, 10:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

I use no facebook, twitter or the like. There are years I see as markers. The year mom died...the year baby was born. But that's it ....just markers. Except for 1917. That is a year of great significance to me and 2017 will also be, 100 year mark. 2016 brought death to some just as 2015 and 2014. Every year in my life either brings a great joy or a great loss. It's just life.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Chestertonian

yeah until nobody compliments your profiteroles

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Akavit

2016 was the worst ever!

It's those Hatchimals.  Despite being touted as the next-gen of newly-released toys, they dashed the hopes and joys of children everywhere.  The darn things just won't hatch.

Quotedead as a dodo and over 2 hours on hold...

Quotehatchimal ruined my 6 yr olds Christmas. All the effort and it done nothing Christmas day

You'd think the Hatchimals would get cracking on the shells and fill the ears of all with joyful tweets.  The only tweeting comes from enraged parents.

QuoteHatimal didnt hatch after 14 Hours and now all lights have gone off. How do i exchange a dud ? My 4 year old is gutted

So one might expect to hear a whole lot of cussing after all those shattered dreams.  Of course that happened.  Oh, wait...  It isn't the parents making that noise.

QuoteSome parents also said their Hatchimals were swearing.

Of course corporate goons are trying to say otherwise.  Who are you going to believe?  Fat cat CEO's or twitter tirades?

QuoteSpin Master refuted claims that Hatchimals curse.

"Hatchimals communicate by speaking their own unique language, which is made of up of random sounds, and by making other noises, including shivering when they're cold and snoring while they sleep," the company said. "We can assure consumers that Hatchimals do not curse or use foul language."

What a bust.  Maybe they'll bring Tickle Me Elmo back for 2017.

ABC: Hatchimals Ruin Lives

Chestertonian

I don't know what a hatchimal is I don't think I've heard my 6 year old say anything about it
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

dymphna17

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 30, 2016, 12:09:20 AM
Quote from: dymphna17 on December 29, 2016, 07:57:02 PM
Quote from: Antoninus on December 29, 2016, 07:29:52 PM
Quote from: dymphna17 on December 29, 2016, 05:28:51 PM
Why is it superstitious to hate that loved ones died in 2016 and want as much time past that as possible?   2005 was the last horrible year I had like this.  I wouldn't go back there for anything.  You all have great years every time?  I guess you can just call me an "idiot".

First of all I didn't refer to anyone as an idiot.

Secondly these people aren't wishing 2016 ends because loved ones died. They wish it ends because they feel too many celebrities died. I don't think the celebrity death rate is going to slow down or speed up based on what year it is. That is why I said they were being superstitious.

I didn't say you referred to anyone as an idiot.  Kaesekopf said "people are idiots."  Guess I should have gone with the breakdown.  ;)  Alot of people now, worship celebrities since they have no God.  They create a kindred spirit with them that is really sad. 

I apologize for barging into your thread with all of my touchy-feely crap (my words, not yours).  That one sentence just set me off.  I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.   [emoji481]
[emoji38]

Dymphna, if you lost someone close, im sorry for your loss.  However, the people who were fanboys of star wars or labyrinth didnt lose anyone close.  They lost an actor who made a movie (or songs).  Thats nowhere near comparable to losing a close loved one.  The idiots who go into mourning or think 2016 stole their childhood or whatever asinine sentiment is popular among the seculars are who im referring to.  :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I did lose a close SIL in January and my Mom in October.  I see now that that is somewhat clouding my judgement here.  When I read the original post, I dropped the celebrity part and concentrated more on understanding why the word superstitious applied in this context. 

The quote below is my sentiment exactly.  I thought you all were saying that thinking or feeling this way was somehow superstitious or wrong.

QuoteThey wish the year would end already.

I get it now, thanks to all of you.  And I agree completely with KK' assessment that "people are idiots".  Ask anyone who knows me.

You are so kind, Bernadette.  You didn't upset me.  I've just got to get over some things that I thought I was over. kwim?  Thank you for the thought though.  I really appreciate it.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

C.Z.

It wasn't so much that a lot of celebs died, but that they were big names. David Bowie, Muhammad Ali, Prince, Gene Wilder, Alan Rickman, Harambe, Carrie Fisher etc. I think I read that only 112 "famous" people died this year, compared to ~120 in 2015. Even personally for me 2016 has been a turbulent year: got a job, few crushes, got a girlfriend, lost a girlfriend, grandfather passed away, moved from apartment of 16 years, evolved politically.

All that said, I can't wait for 2017 so this "2016 sucks!" meme can end. It ran its course by September :lol:
The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people" - G.K. Chesterton.

"To be able to speak the Truth and yet remain silent is to draw down the anger of God" - St. Justin Martyr

Kaesekopf

Harambe lives in our hearts.

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

^ I would "un-thank" that, if I could.
My Lord and my God.

RedCaves

From what I notice within pop culture, it's mostly the death of Harambe and Trump being elected that have depressed us all. :P

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bernadette on December 31, 2016, 12:10:04 AM
But you can't. 

:)

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

piabee

Quote from: Bernadette on December 31, 2016, 12:10:04 AM

Fixed it for you.

Bernadette

Quote from: Akavit on December 30, 2016, 09:42:08 PM
Hatchimals [...]

At least they don't eat kids' hair and fingers, like that cabbage patch kid. Talk about ruining Christmas!  :lol: :doh:
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on December 31, 2016, 01:31:15 PM
Hatchimals [...]

At least they don't eat kids' hair and fingers, like that cabbage patch kid. Talk about ruining Christmas!  :lol: :doh:

hahaha

I remember that.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Quote from: Lynne on December 31, 2016, 02:33:43 PM
Hatchimals [...]

hahaha

I remember that.

Oh, so do I. I was the thrilled recipient of one (I was ten) and a couple of packs of "food": all conveniently stick-shaped, to travel along the conveyor wheel. I still remember how fascinated I was. :lol: It would probably be worth a good bit as a collector's item, now. I had short hair, though, and was old enough not to put my fingers in the doll's mouth.
My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

Hatchimals [...]

I was an 80s kid and don't remember that

I will say that I'm thankful that it's easier to keep kids away from TV commercials there's  very little of it on certain channels and Netflix is commercial free so my son doesn't want all this cheap plastic crap he saw on a commercial