Looking for career change ideas

Started by Heinrich, April 11, 2015, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

What skill sets, if any, does a 45 year man who has taught secondary English and German, been a bouncer, and waited tables have to offer any industry other than education and hospitality?

I have no marketable manual skills that would prove to be competitive: auto, construction, restoration, etc. My current position is secure and reviews are consistently encouraging, but the scent of a more rewarding change and more change in the pocket is alluring to me.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

dymphna17

Quote from: Heinrich on April 11, 2015, 12:02:09 PM
What skill sets, if any, does a 45 year man who has taught secondary English and German, been a bouncer, and waited tables have to offer any industry other than education and hospitality?

I have no marketable manual skills that would prove to be competitive: auto, construction, restoration, etc. My current position is secure and reviews are consistently encouraging, but the scent of a more rewarding change and more change in the pocket is alluring to me.

I don't know how you feel about security, but that is a wide open field.  It could mean anything from working with Pinkerton or Wells Fargo to a hospital to military installations to prisons.  Some are armed positions and some are not.  Depending upon the company, there is usually alot of constant training.  So in a nutshell you'd never be bored.  These positions tend to pay pretty well, although I don't know what you are making now.  It might prove to be an interesting change of pace.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Heinrich

Quote from: dymphna17 on April 11, 2015, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on April 11, 2015, 12:02:09 PM

I don't know how you feel about security, but that is a wide open field.  It could mean anything from working with Pinkerton or Wells Fargo to a hospital to military installations to prisons.  Some are armed positions and some are not.  Depending upon the company, there is usually alot of constant training.  So in a nutshell you'd never be bored.  These positions tend to pay pretty well, although I don't know what you are making now.  It might prove to be an interesting change of pace.

I have considered it. Thanks for the reminder. I make a meager salary as Colorado has one of the lowest pay structures for teachers anywhere. Poverty with a view is how I deal.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

Grow weed.  You have a ready customer base with your students.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

Look at supplementing your income. This looks really awesome.  You sell Oyster Mushrooms at $10/lb. to vegen/vegetarian restaurants.  Looks like a cool hobby.  check out his channel.  Search "mush farmer" on youtube.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0O-zea5V1A[/yt]
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Heinrich

How do you find this stuff? No, I don't mean the weed.

james03

I was researching medicinal mushrooms.  We're using Turkey Tail and Maitake.

Kaesekopf

Can you tutor on the side?  Maybe run some sort of classes during the summertime?

What about working weekends as a security guard at private high schools?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Archer

What do you want to do? What are your interests and passions?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

james03

Setting up some kind of online homeschool business would be good.  You offer a few courses.  Make sure it is well organized.  Then you give tests and grade them.  Also you give 1 hour a week that you are available for questions.

Heinrich

Quote from: Bonaventure on April 12, 2015, 05:35:30 PM
Done with education?

No. Just trying to get ideas just in case the trying job of teaching is over.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Heinrich on April 14, 2015, 08:39:23 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on April 12, 2015, 05:35:30 PM
Done with education?

No. Just trying to get ideas just in case the trying job of teaching is over.

With your skills and experience, I think you could find a general white collar, paper pusher job. You should tap whatever connections you have. Look into powerlifting and seeing if there are any opportunities, even entrepreneurial, in the iron game.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Heinrich

Thanks for the insights and ideas, everyone.

I will certainly look into idea of a series of home school lessons. I do have some ideas that may be of interest to (Catholic) homeschooling families. If I were to transfer this development from hard drive to Web page, how would one be able to do that? Getting a domain, HTML formatting, Java--any other tech skills and/or network requirements?

Security would be a great pt job and I do have connections. However, it is a young man's game to bounce at clubs. Perimeter and place security, ie watching premises after hours would be a drastic pay cut. Body guarding and personal protection are options, but it would require much more training than I already have(mostly weapons) and the competition is fierce(there many unemployed/underemployed ex spec ops guys out there).

Writing articles for weightlifting publications is a great idea and something also to look into.

Tutoring is also a great p/t option.

Again, thanks everyone.

LoneWolfRadTrad

Maybe you could try teaching overseas?