Russian Winter - Boiling Water at -41 C

Started by Bonaventure, December 29, 2012, 10:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

EcceQuamBonum

That's insane.  I can't even conceive of 0 (F, that is), much less -41.

#southernwinters
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

peanut

I did this last week, but it was only -30 so it didn't look quite as impressive. PS Bonaventure, I'm starting to suspect you're a closet RT fan.  ;D
Latest article: Corporate assessment centres - deranged products of mercantile delusion: http://bit.ly/16Nq0Tf

Spooky

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on December 29, 2012, 10:51:09 PM
That's insane.  I can't even conceive of 0 (F, that is), much less -41.

#southernwinters

Oddly, I can tolerate single digit temps better than say, mid-30's, probably because of the humidity. A rainy 44 to me is worse that a 28*F (like today). I just really hate humidity (I'd never survive in the south).

Lyubov

I've done this too. It's pretty impressive!
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Eliza

I'm sure this is old new for anyone who considers themselves a science nerd, but I find it pretty neat! 

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25SHX5Sj7ZA[/yt]

Heinrich

I think I was absent the day in 4th or 5th grade when we learned why boiling water has a quicker freeze capacity. Why is this?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Heinrich on December 31, 2012, 01:22:00 PM
I think I was absent the day in 4th or 5th grade when we learned why boiling water has a quicker freeze capacity. Why is this?

I haven't studied physics or chem. in a long time, but my guess would be that the molecules are unstable?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

FaithByProxy

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Pheo

Well...it doesn't really.  If you take away the propensity of boiling water to evaporate, then there's much more energy that needs to leave the system before it will freeze - that would be something like a closed container of cold water and one of boiling water put in the freezer.  There's no way that they hot one will freeze more quickly.

In this video, some of the water forms small droplets and a good amount of it vaporizes - all of those tiny collections of water are then quickly frozen.  That doesn't make it any less cool though.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Heinrich

Quote from: Pheo on January 02, 2013, 11:09:30 AM

Well...it doesn't really.  If you take away the propensity of boiling water to evaporate, then there's much more energy that needs to leave the system before it will freeze - that would be something like a closed container of cold water and one of boiling water put in the freezer.  There's no way that they hot one will freeze more quickly.

In this video, some of the water forms small droplets and a good amount of it vaporizes - all of those tiny collections of water are then quickly frozen.  That doesn't make it any less cool though.

So the same effect would be if the pan of water were measured at, say, 40 degrees Fahrenheit?
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Pheo

Quote from: Heinrich on January 02, 2013, 11:16:00 AM
So the same effect would be if the pan of water were measured at, say, 40 degrees Fahrenheit?

No, not if it was thrown into the air like that.  Also, I had to look up what 40 whatevers were in real degrees :(

Boiling water will vaporize and freeze quickly when thrown into the air like that, but not all boiling water will freeze faster (like my example of the closed vessels in a  freezer).  And that's why I grit my teeth when I hear people say you should put warm water in your ice cube trays if you want them frozen faster.  That would only work if a good amount of the water in the trays evaporated and you were left with less water to freeze.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Heinrich

Quote from: Pheo on January 02, 2013, 11:24:49 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on January 02, 2013, 11:16:00 AM

No, not if it was thrown into the air like that.  Also, I had to look up what 40 whatevers were in real degrees :(

I am sorry. In this inclusive it-is-a-crime-to-high-emotional-feelings world, I impressed my cultural norm on you. I am sorry for not including Centigrade. How intolerant of me. Please forgive me? Is this a forgivable sin?

I snark, I snark!