The Suspicious Cheese Lords

Started by Kaesekopf, January 12, 2014, 11:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I found these guys via a post from New Liturgical Movement, and thought I'd link to their website.

Here is their about section.

QuoteThe Suspicious Cheese Lords broaden the global repertoire and listenership of choral music by unearthing forgotten works, breathing new life into familiar pieces, and supporting emerging composers. Specializing in early music, this unique brotherhood's concerts, liturgies, recordings, and educational programs provide a scholarly yet accessible interpretation of music of all eras, inspiring fans and future musicians alike.

From 1998 to 2006, the Cheese Lords served as the choir in residence for major services at the Franciscan Monastery in Washington, D.C. Additional services credits include the Cathedral of St. Matthew, Church of the Epiphany (G Street), the Church of the Holy Redeemer (Kensington, MD) and Georgetown University's Dahlgren Chapel.

The ensemble assisted in the developing "An Evening at the Tabbard Inn" an event for the Smithsonian Institution's Resident Associates program in which the Cheese Lords provided music contemporary to Chauncer's Canterbury Tales and related to the theme of pilgrimage.

The Lords' other performance venues have included the Washington National Cathedral, the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center, the National Gallery of Art, Epiphany Catholic Church (Georgetown), the Church of the Ascension and Saint Agnes, Christ Church (La Plata, MD), the Cathedral of St. Thomas More (Arlington, VA), the Old Presbyterian Meeting House (Alexandria, VA), Christendom College (Front Royal, VA).

The Cheese Lords have also had several performances on XM Satellite Radio including regular broadcasts on the Vox Channel. They are currently featured on the Symphony Hall channel.

The etymology of their name:
Etymology

The Suspicious Cheese Lords' name is derived from the title of a Thomas Tallis motet, Suscipe quæso Domine. While "translating" the title, it was observed that Suscipe could be "suspicious," quæso is close to the Spanish word queso meaning "cheese," and Domine is, of course, "Lord." Hence, the title of the motet was clearly "Suspicious Cheese Lord"—which in time became adopted as the group's name. Although their name is humorous, the group appreciates the literal translation of Suscipe Quæso Domine, which is, "Take, I ask, Lord." Suspiciously, the Cheese Lords have yet to perform this motet.

They sound pretty good:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8z-P_Ity0I&list=UUPxKVdnH4YsEo3FKCxX1jXA&feature=c4-overview[/yt]

I enjoy hearing men singing religious works.  It's so hard to find male-only groups, it seems.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The Harlequin King

I wish I were a member of this group.

Older Salt

The SCL just sang a Palestrina Mass at my parishes TLM yesterday.

They are incredible

"Extraordinary Form celebrated at   Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church, Greensboro, N.C., on Sunday, January 12, at 1 p.m. The Mass setting will be   Palestrina's MIssa O admirabile commercium. This Mass will be sung by the Suspicious Cheese Lords, "
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Machaut1377

Nice!  Wish I could sing an independent melody line.

On the basis of their name I would have a hard time recommending them to sing Mass at my parish, a name like "Suspicious Cheese Lords" would probably not fly.

ResRev

We see them (hear them?) every year at the Franciscan Monastery in DC for Tenebrae. Amazing. Make the time if you live in the area!
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Basilios

When I heard the name I came into this thread for some self-righteous trad bashing, noting to myself that even if they were half decent I would bash anyway.

Pleasantly surprised. I listened twice. Really good stuff. It even got to go on my Facebook, though naturally I took all the credit. "Look at this beautiful song I found."
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.