Making a Catholic home (married and single)

Started by Kaesekopf, January 21, 2013, 11:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

What do you do to make your home a Catholic home?  (Or apartment, or whatever).

I've been way too mobile over the past few years (school and all) to really establish anything distinct and permanent, but I do try to always, at least, have my crucifix from Bavaria near either my desk or my bed.  I used to have a display of my favorite holy cards at my desk for school, and so when I would work on homework, my holy cards would be an inspiration to keep focus on God. 

I also have a picture of Mary I got for cheap ($5) which looks OK to display, and I also have an Immaculate Heart of Mary I display on my dresser (when I have one).  I also have a little Marian statue I try to keep out/prominent. 

And then I have my dozens of Catholic books and Bible in a bookcase.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Greg

Have a permanent place to say the Rosary. We have a statue and some hardboard or thin ply wood cards with scenes of each of he mysteries.  Picture helps you concentrate, like stations of the cross.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Gottmitunsalex

I put up in each room, dining room also (not in the restroom):

Yes I know, it bugs visitors. Tough.

Another thing: No TV's in kids rooms.
Take out the cable (unless you can control it)  and set a password to the TV for everything.
I am not against the TV as a tool. But do not leave it wide open.

Set a password on the PC at startup (not in Windows. easy bypass).

Never leave children alone @ the PC.

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 21, 2013, 10:31:35 PM
Is that the crucifix from Córdoba?
Yes, But I mirrored it. (So the lettering won't be backwards). I printed it like that and picked up some glass frames.
Took them to our SSPX priest and he blessed them.

"El Cristo de Miñarro"
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Bonaventure

That's awesome. It's a great image of our Lord.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Gottmitunsalex

Archer

Our goal is that when someone walks in our house they immediately know we're serious about our Catholic faith. 

We have Crucifixes in every bedroom, the livingroom, and a hallway.  There are also various religious pictures in every room and statues throughout the house. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

OCLittleFlower

We have a Crucifix in the living room and our bedroom.  We have an icon of the Last Supper in the dining room (Filipino tradition to have the Last Supper where you eat, and I'm not a fan of the Da Vinci one -- opens up to snarky Holy Blood, Holy Grail esque comments from non-Trads).  We have either a statue or image of Our Lady in each room, as well.  We also have a wood carving of Our Lord from the Philippines in our upstairs hallway -- you can see it from the living room -- and another Crucifix in the loft, where we have our home altar next to the mini office.  Our calendar has the feast days and such and is a Traditional calendar.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Mithrandylan

As far as sacramentals go, there's tons of options.  Tons.  But there's one particular thing that I see missing, and that's a holy water font.  If one can't have a font (of whatever size) at least a supply in a little bottle or jar so that one has holy water at any given time.

Ideally, one would not only have a font, but have fonts so that any time you're entering or leaving a room, you have the opportunity to make the sign of the crosss with holy water
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

piabee

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 23, 2013, 04:06:42 AMI'm not a fan of the Da Vinci one -- opens up to snarky Holy Blood, Holy Grail esque comments from non-Trads

Wow, rude? Our non-Catholic guests are usually too intimidated to say anything. I remember once someone asked if we were Catholic. :lol: Ya think? My parents have crucifixes, pictures, statues, etc., in every room. I am still working on hanging things in my apartment. I did get a nativity scene for Christmas!

CoolCat

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on January 21, 2013, 10:19:55 PM
I put up in each room, dining room also (not in the restroom):

Yes I know, it bugs visitors. Tough.

Another thing: No TV's in kids rooms.
Take out the cable (unless you can control it)  and set a password to the TV for everything.
I am not against the TV as a tool. But do not leave it wide open.

Set a password on the PC at startup (not in Windows. easy bypass).

Never leave children alone @ the PC.

Any non-Catholic would be shocked to see an image like that.
I guess even some Novus Ordo Catholics would feel uneasy to have dinner and see that particular crucifix above them.

We keep the last supper in our dining room.  Crucifixes and yes, even a picture of Pope John Paul II with Mother Theresa in our living room.
That picture has initiated many a conversation and interest with non-practicing Catholics that visit our humble home.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 23, 2013, 06:11:09 AM
As far as sacramentals go, there's tons of options.  Tons.  But there's one particular thing that I see missing, and that's a holy water font.  If one can't have a font (of whatever size) at least a supply in a little bottle or jar so that one has holy water at any given time.

Ideally, one would not only have a font, but have fonts so that any time you're entering or leaving a room, you have the opportunity to make the sign of the crosss with holy water

I forgot to mention the font near the sliding door.  Our parking is behind the house and we enter through the sliding door in the kitchen.

Mithrandylan

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 23, 2013, 05:35:17 PM
Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 23, 2013, 06:11:09 AM

I forgot to mention the font near the sliding door.  Our parking is behind the house and we enter through the sliding door in the kitchen.

I'd probably enter through the sliding door if it wasn't frozen shut.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: piabee on January 23, 2013, 12:24:14 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 23, 2013, 04:06:42 AMI'm not a fan of the Da Vinci one -- opens up to snarky Holy Blood, Holy Grail esque comments from non-Trads

Wow, rude? Our non-Catholic guests are usually too intimidated to say anything. I remember once someone asked if we were Catholic. :lol: Ya think? My parents have crucifixes, pictures, statues, etc., in every room. I am still working on hanging things in my apartment. I did get a nativity scene for Christmas!

It's never happened in my house because I've never had a Da Vinci one in my house.  However -- we got married at a time when the whole Da Vinci code thing was still a fairly common topic of conversation.  One that I was more than a little touchy about.  I'm also not much of a fan of his art to begin with.  *shrug*