Making a Catholic home (married and single)

Started by Kaesekopf, January 21, 2013, 11:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 23, 2013, 05:38:57 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 23, 2013, 05:35:17 PM
Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 23, 2013, 06:11:09 AM
As far as sacramentals go, there's tons of options.  Tons.  But there's one particular thing that I see missing, and that's a holy water font.  If one can't have a font (of whatever size) at least a supply in a little bottle or jar so that one has holy water at any given time.

Ideally, one would not only have a font, but have fonts so that any time you're entering or leaving a room, you have the opportunity to make the sign of the crosss with holy water

I forgot to mention the font near the sliding door.  Our parking is behind the house and we enter through the sliding door in the kitchen.

I'd probably enter through the sliding door if it wasn't frozen shut.

YIPES!!!!

I wish it was a French door and not a slider, but alas...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Mithrandylan

Don't worry, summer WILL come.

It's actually warming up.  It's about 7 today, so it might have thawed out a bit.  We'll see.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 23, 2013, 05:41:07 PM

It's actually warming up.  It's about 7 today, so it might have thawed out a bit.  We'll see.

7???

This California girl has never been somewhere that cold  -- let alone thinking of that as "thawed out a bit."  Holy crudness!

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

zork

In my home (a condo...ugh), I have an portrait of Christ with His Sacred Heart exposed. On the mantel, bookended by my Bavarian souvenirs is a little nativity scene comprised of little 'weeble-wobble'-esque Jesus, Mary and Joseph that my niece made years ago. In the hall is a plastic Crucifix and a liturgical calendar. On a little vintage tripod table in the hall is where I set holy water vials and blessed candles, along with a small statue of the Blessed Mother, with a minature framed depiction of the Last Supper. Finally, in my bedroom is a metal Crucifix.

I want to purchase a large Crucifix for the den, and hang a picture of St. Michael up someplace prominent as well.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 23, 2013, 05:51:49 PM
Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 23, 2013, 05:41:07 PM

7???

This California girl has never been somewhere that cold  -- let alone thinking of that as "thawed out a bit."  Holy crudness!

It's been like 15 below zero for a few days.  Sigh.

I have a crucifix in each room in my apartment.  I have a Sacred Heart of Jesus pic and a Jesus/ Good Shepherd pic, both vintage, that I got at a thrift shop.  I'd like to get a holy water font.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Mithrandylan

btw, we hit double digits and the door thawed out. 
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Archer

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 28, 2013, 08:45:52 AM

LOL. The best is when you step outside to walk the dog and your nose hairs freeze.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Archer on January 28, 2013, 09:03:58 AM

LOL. The best is when you step outside to walk the dog and your nose hairs freeze.

I don't think our dog would welcome a walk in those conditions.  He doesn't even like going out in the yard for a quick needed reason ( :tongue:) in the rain, let alone the freezing cold.

Archer

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 28, 2013, 04:06:14 PM
Quote from: Archer on January 28, 2013, 09:03:58 AM

I don't think our dog would welcome a walk in those conditions.  He doesn't even like going out in the yard for a quick needed reason ( :tongue:) in the rain, let alone the freezing cold.

Edited: I started a new topic.  ;) http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=904.0
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

tx2step

I just recently bought an old prie Dieu (kneeler) that came from an old church, and got a deal!
It is in front of our home altar, my children love it and we all enjoy using it.
We have all the standard crucifixes, statues and pictures in every room of the house.
I am loving one thing about living in the north, lots of old Catholic stuff - statues, pictures etc.
We have significantly added to our collection.
We have holy water fonts throughout the house.  My priest cracks up when he sees us come to Mass with our 2 liter bottle to fill with holy water.
Last time we moved our realtor asked us to deshrine the place a smidge before we put it on the market-
I had to tell him I already had! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kaesekopf

Quote from: tx2step on January 30, 2013, 10:13:30 PM

Last time we moved our realtor asked us to deshrine the place a smidge before we put it on the market-
I had to tell him I already had! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL!

Does anyone care to share pictures of their homes?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tx2step

Oh, Oh and we always have our new homes blessed when we move.
Plus, it's a nice way to get to know our new priest,
We invite him over for dinner and a house blessing. :pray2:

I'll share pictures if someone can tell me how to load them on from my iPhone.

Mithrandylan

KK, I'll see if I can get some pics up of what we've got
Ps 135

OCLittleFlower

Things are in the process of being moved around a lot around here.  I'll try to post pics soonish.