Anybody Scan Printed Books?

Started by Bernadette, December 18, 2013, 02:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

To convert the files into ebooks? I've been thinking about this lately, and have been wanting to do it for a while. (I've got shelves of books which I would rather read as eBooks, but I cringe at having to buy them over again.) Would you recommend one of those portable wireless scanners, or a printer/scanner/copier combo?
My Lord and my God.

Arun

a flat scanner might be a bit impractical depending on the book. i know i have a digital copy of Eddie Bravo's "Mastering the Rubber Guard" in which the scanned pages curve away from the flat scanner surface towards the spine of the book. it's just the way it was done lol. not sure what i could suggest to ya though sorry.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Bernadette

Where's Geremia?   :tongue:

As for pages curving toward the spine of the book on the scan: that's where the exacto knife comes in. A sacrifice, yes, but I consider it to be for the greater good.  ;)
My Lord and my God.

Arun

Quote from: Bernadette on December 19, 2013, 07:25:56 PM
Where's Geremia?   :tongue:

As for pages curving toward the spine of the book on the scan: that's where the exacto knife comes in. A sacrifice, yes, but I consider it to be for the greater good.  ;)

Not sure about Geronimo but yeah that oughta work. Wish the guy who scanned my copy of Mastering the Rubber Guard had done that lol

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Lynne

Oh good! If you're willing to take the exacto knife to books then that'll make your work easier. If you take the book to Kinko or some copy place, they should be able to scan it to a pdf (as long as no copyright restrictions are violated).
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Arun

it'd be a real good idea for some of those old Catholic gems of books everybody has a couple of lying around. you know the ones; no longer in print, falling apart, just sitting somewhere where it won't be damaged but unable to really be utilised...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Bernadette

Well, I ended up not having to buy one after all!  ;D My uncle had a not-so-old Dell all-in-one sitting in the closet, which he cast aside when he discovered that he could get a new printer for less than new ink cartridges would cost for the old one. It is now mine; drivers are waiting to be installed on my PC; and a black ink cartridge refill kit ($8 on eBay, with free shipping) will be starting its journey to my mailbox tomorrow morning.  :beer:
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

What books are you looking to do?

If they are Catholic and old, we could probably host them here, if you don't mind?  :D
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

All of them. :grin: But I think even the oldest one that I have is still in copyright, so I probably couldn't post it here.
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Gardener on December 20, 2013, 10:47:22 PM
Copyright schmopyright.

Haha, basically!  Especially if the books are out-of-print...

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Arun

do book copyrights end up "abandonware" like old king's quest games do...?

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Arun on December 23, 2013, 10:49:36 PM

I mean, do people want to enforce copyrights for books they don't publish?  That's my take on it, anyways.

Arun

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 23, 2013, 11:42:15 PM
Quote from: Arun on December 23, 2013, 10:49:36 PM

I mean, do people want to enforce copyrights for books they don't publish?  That's my take on it, anyways.

yep sounds like "abandonware" to me then lol.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR