Chesterton about children

Started by Archer, February 03, 2014, 06:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

"...Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again"; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we."

Taken from Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Chestertonian

I love this!  I just finished reading my son the same 3 bedtime stories, in the same order, then sang the same 3 bedtime songs and the same 3 prayers.  He has a different but equally monotonous routine with my wife.  This all happens after eating the same snack he eats every night. 

Sometimes I think about heaven.  What would the saints and I talk about if nothing ever changes?  What will I do with myself?  If nothing ever changes won't I get bored?  But perhaps children are closer to Heaven than we are.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

I remember heariing once that children like routine because it gives them a sense of security in a world that they haven't been able to figure out yet. This makes sense to me, looking back to when I was a kid, but I like Chesterton's explanation better.  :)
My Lord and my God.

Archer

Quote from: Bernadette on February 04, 2014, 12:14:07 PM
I remember heariing once that children like routine because it gives them a sense of security in a world that they haven't been able to figure out yet. This makes sense to me, looking back to when I was a kid, but I like Chesterton's explanation better.  :)

I think that's very true, or at least with my kids it is.  When we deviate from routine in any significant way it always throws them off.  They are most comfortable and therefore happiest when things are ordered.   

I thought the quote was beautiful and full of meaning in that it relates the innocence of children to the awesomeness of God's creation. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney