"The Devil's Bagpipe"- a scandalous, early biography of Luther

Started by PaterRobertus, January 11, 2024, 01:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaterRobertus

I thought would share a new translation of mine, of a remarkable biography of Martin Luther written by the Scottish historian James Laing (who lived in exile in France, as professor at the Universities of Paris and Sorbonne) published in Latin in 1581 in De vita et moribus atque rebus gestis haereticorum nostri temporis, written some years earlier. Laing actually lived through most of the events concerned, and reported things which were a matter of general knowledge at the time. This is one of the earliest published biographies of Luther available, and has not previously been available to non-Latin readers. It is now available thanks to Sensus Fidelium Press: https://sensusfideliumpress.com/products/the-devils-bagpipe-the-true-life-of-martin-luther

Many of the details Laing presents (which are sometimes quite scandalous) concerning Luther are now largely unknown, being edited out by Protestant writers, and (perhaps in a spirit of generosity or good taste) also not brought out clearly by Catholic writers. Included are descriptions of Luther's frustrated attempts to be made a cardinal at an early age, his conversations with demons (whether real or hallucinations), the real motivations of his early objections to indulgences (i.e. the fact that the Augustinians were deprived of income), his bouts of drunkenness and debauchery, his violent rages, and his ever-increasing megalomania, etc.

I feel that this work helps to correct the myth of Luther (believed by many Catholics as well as Protestants) as "a sincere but troubled and misguided man," and will be of reveal his true nature, as an ambitious opportunist.

Fursey

I might take a look at this, hopefully it isn't intended to be a straight hit piece on him. I feel it's always better to have accurate criticisms rather than going scorched earth on somebodies character. But I did read the man was in regret towards the end of his life
Domine Deus,
amo te super omnia
et proximum meum propter te,
quia tu es summum, infinitum,
et perfectissimum bonum,
omni dilectione dignum.
In hac caritate
vivere et mori statuo.
Amen.

PaterRobertus

It's actually a balanced appraisal, in my opinion. For one thing, Laing doesn't hesitate to acknowledge the talents of Luther, and even when he did things out of a sincere religious impulse (like his initial decision to join the Augustinians). He is also ready to point out the failings of certain Catholics, such as Luther's superior within the German Augustinians, and he does not deny that their was a certain amount of corruption in the handling of the proceeds from indulgences.

One of the difficulties with this period in history is that people often hear stories which have very little basis in the truth (for example, as you mentioned, that Luther was in regret towards the end of his life.) One of the questions I ask is what is the source for this- I mean the original, primary source.....

The overall portrait of Luther here is an ambitious man, who became increasingly stubborn and overly confident in his own judgment. We see also that he was prepared to fawn and flatter, when it suited him. These are all supported from actual documents or well-attested events.