Catholic names for baby...

Started by angelcookie, March 13, 2013, 11:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcookie

Are you strict with kids name has to be a Catholic, saint, bible, virtue name or variation?
My first born only has a bible middle name. My second is bible fn and saint mn. I like a few names that don't fit that rule though, how about you?

OCLittleFlower

I don't see us going with a non-Saint's name.  Most names that aren't based on a Saint's name sound odd/off to me.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bonaventure

Old Testament names are a bit too protty for me.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

erin is nice

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 13, 2013, 02:56:54 PM

I like Old Testament names, used them for 4 out of 5.

Mithrandylan

I love me some old testament names.

My first son's name is going to be Juda Maccabes Nehemias Jededias Ezechiel Amos
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Gottmitunsalex

I particularly like the name Gabriel.
And of course anything that starts with "Ale".
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 13, 2013, 02:56:54 PM

That's my take as well.  Especially here in Southern California with all the Saddleback and Rock Harbor types running about.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

poche

The Code of Canon Law says that  it has to be a saint's name.
:) :) :)

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: poche on March 13, 2013, 11:41:48 PM

Taken from some weird website...

The old code says:

"Pastors should see to it that the person to be baptized is given a Christian name; but if they are unable to fulfill this, they should add to the name given by the parents the name of some saint, and they should inscribe each name in the baptismal register."

Long before the 20th century, the practice of the pastor insuring the child had a saint name morphed into the giving of a new name even if the child was already named after a saint. So, in fact, many of us have two saint names. And it goes on. When confirmation was split off from baptism as a separate sacrament, the tradition of adding a saint name went with it. The end result: Most baby boomer Catholics have three saint names.

The 1983 Code of Canon Law changed the rules. Now the only requirement is that pastors make sure the child's name is not "foreign to a Christian mentality." In other words, if you don't name your child something like "Son-of-Satan," you're good to go. So we baptized Pebbles as "Pebbles."

http://www.teamrcia.com/2009/11/01/do-you-need-to-have-a-saints-name-for-baptism-or-confirmation/
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

totiusque

I don't think it's compulsory to name a child after a saint, but I'm pretty sure the Church teaches it is preferable to do so, and that names contrary to holiness (i.e.- Lucifer, Stalin, Cain, etc.) are strictly forbidden, for obvious reasons.

We have one book at home that does say all children must be named after saints or Biblical figures, but I haven't found any resources to back that up.  Perhaps it's from the same old canon that Alex posted.

All 6 of our kids have saint names, and it's nice for them to have these patron saints to pray to and have watch over them.  Plus it's fun to see the expression on non-Catholics' faces when they've never heard the name before (especially with our Blaise and Philomena).
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Dom Passerini

All saint names here.  I'm sure others are as shocked to hear some Catholic names as I am to hear:

Jaden
Tatum
Mckenzi
Nevaeh (it's 'heaven' backward! yaaaay prottyness)
Bonqueesha
Apple
River

and many, many more stupid names.

Oh yeah, Moxy Crimefighter.  All of mine have relatively common, traditional names.  I was really glad when my wife's friend, the kindergarten teacher at our society school, recently exclaimed how ugly my 2nd son's name is, not to mention what a rotten kid he is.  Yeah, he'll be starting K in the Fall.   Greaaaaaat.
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

poche

Quote from: Mithrandylan on March 13, 2013, 03:50:58 PM
I love me some old testament names.

My first son's name is going to be Juda Maccabes Nehemias Jededias Ezechiel Amos
You may end up with all girls if you're not careful

poche

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on March 13, 2013, 11:46:58 PM

The old code says:

"Pastors should see to it that the person to be baptized is given a Christian name; but if they are unable to fulfill this, they should add to the name given by the parents the name of some saint, and they should inscribe each name in the baptismal register."

Long before the 20th century, the practice of the pastor insuring the child had a saint name morphed into the giving of a new name even if the child was already named after a saint. So, in fact, many of us have two saint names. And it goes on. When confirmation was split off from baptism as a separate sacrament, the tradition of adding a saint name went with it. The end result: Most baby boomer Catholics have three saint names.

The 1983 Code of Canon Law changed the rules. Now the only requirement is that pastors make sure the child's name is not "foreign to a Christian mentality." In other words, if you don't name your child something like "Son-of-Satan," you're good to go. So we baptized Pebbles as "Pebbles."

http://www.teamrcia.com/2009/11/01/do-you-need-to-have-a-saints-name-for-baptism-or-confirmation/
Did you really baptize one of your children as Pebbles? Why?

erin is nice

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on March 13, 2013, 08:14:15 PM
I particularly like the name Gabriel.
And of course anything that starts with "Ale".

I like Gabriel, too. And Rachel, which was my other girl pick. I never had another girl, so I never got to use it.  :lol:

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: poche on March 14, 2013, 01:50:18 AM
Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on March 13, 2013, 11:46:58 PM

The old code says:

Did you really baptize one of your children as Pebbles? Why?
It's a nice name. I've always been partial to the Flintstones.