Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

The Harlequin King

red solo cup

Not really. It was two hours of my life I won't get back.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

RedCaves

Quote from: red solo cup on December 21, 2013, 11:39:49 AM
World War Z. Stupid.

I liked it. Even though I thought it borrowed too much from 28 Days Later

Bonaventure

Quote from: RedCaves on December 21, 2013, 07:27:21 PM
I liked it. Even though I thought it borrowed too much from 28 Days Later

It was better. 28 is overrated.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

tmw89

Going My Way.

May +Williamson forgive me...
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Larry

Quote from: tmw89 on December 22, 2013, 07:09:55 PM
Going My Way.

It's a great movie, especially the Barry Fitzgerald character.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

maryslittlegarden

Going My Way.

Now you need to watch The Bells of St Marys :)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

RedCaves

Going My Way.

If you really want to tick him off, watch The Sound of Music. Haha.

Basilios

Man of Steel.

Really enjoyed it. A few plot holes/stupid things but otherwise it was solid. The best fighting in a Superhero movie I've seen.

Not sure how I felt about the not-so-subtle attempt at making Superman into a Messiah figure pretty much ripping off Our Lord but I guess it is natural; however, they didn't do anything with that theme except say a few nice things alluding to it. Which is fine but pointless if it doesn't have a conclusion or a greater meaning behind it. I think like a lot of "serious" movies this tried to do too many things and ended up not exploring everything well enough. Which is standard for a movie that is trying to establish Superman/reboot him by giving him a backstory and also something to work with in terms of a proper plot.

I didn't like the flashback sequences. Call me crazy but in terms of straightforward Superhero movies I prefer to have linear timelines. They didn't do it correctly in this movie in my opinion. I also really didn't like the ending. It was just OTT and unnecessary - at least for an introductory movie. Batman Begins was so good because it introduced the character really well but gave him a good plot that wasn't really OTT.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Basilios on December 23, 2013, 10:44:08 AMNot sure how I felt about the not-so-subtle attempt at making Superman into a Messiah figure pretty much ripping off Our Lord but I guess it is natural; however, they didn't do anything with that theme except say a few nice things alluding to it. Which is fine but pointless if it doesn't have a conclusion or a greater meaning behind it.

My friend, who is a major Superman fan, argues that the Superman-as-messiah motif is the "traditional" one most faithful to its origins, and that the Superman-as-boy-scout one is modernist.

OCLittleFlower

Frozen -- it was quite good.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Larry

"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

The Harlequin King

I used a free ticket to see Thor: The Dark World. My roommate rated it a 4 out of 10 and we have common tastes, and I knew the sequel wasn't directed by Kenneth Branagh, so I wasn't expecting anything good. I came out thinking it was mediocre and there were a few moments when I wanted the movie to end (and that's a thought that rarely comes to me at the theater, since I usually want to get my money's worth with a long viewing), but still..... not quite in the realm of "bad".