Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Christknight104

Hohenstaufen

Just rewatched Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters.

A really excellent film.  My favorite piece of it is the third chapter, "Runaway Horses":

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_aaPW1rASo&t=1h6m10s[/yt]

totiusque

Theaters - Thor 2, Catching Fire (both decent)
Home - Flight (wish I hadn't seen this one, for several reasons)
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

The Harlequin King

A lot of Thor watchers here. I was a big fan of the original, but one of my close friends who saw it, and whose opinion on comic films I mostly trust, rated Thor 2 a 4 out of 10. Totally lambasted the thing. Kenneth Branagh also wasn't involved. As such, I've avoided it for now.

You guys might like the little factoid, though, that Chris Hemsworth's wife was Natalie Portman's kissing double for one scene.

totiusque

I actually enjoyed Thor 2 more than the original, but I'm not a comic book reader so I can't say how it compares with the comics.  The only thing I really disliked about the sequel was Natalie Portman's friend in the movie, who was very annoying and distracting.  Hiddleston's Loki was the real character who stole the show.

Interesting fact about Hemsworth, though.  Just saw an interview with his brother Liam on Leno, and it sounded like they came from a good tight-knit family, and that Hollywood hasn't really changed them.  Then again, Liam did date Miley Cyrus, so that pretty much kills that theory.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Gerard

Thor was treated differently in the comics depending on the comics themselves.  It's a vast difference between how Thor was portrayed in the Avengers comics vs. his own book.  In the Avengers he was just powerful muscle that would get knocked out on occasion in order to show off how powerful the villain is. The Thor comics especially in the Stan Lee / Jack Kirby days (and later the Walt Simonson years) they were incredibly fantastical stories and "over the top" was considered the baseline.  Thor 2 is definitely in the direction of Thor's own comics vs.

Larry

Quote from: Gerard on December 05, 2013, 09:56:51 PM
Thor was treated differently in the comics depending on the comics themselves.  It's a vast difference between how Thor was portrayed in the Avengers comics vs. his own book.  In the Avengers he was just powerful muscle that would get knocked out on occasion in order to show off how powerful the villain is. The Thor comics especially in the Stan Lee / Jack Kirby days (and later the Walt Simonson years) they were incredibly fantastical stories and "over the top" was considered the baseline.  Thor 2 is definitely in the direction of Thor's own comics vs.

There was one great Avengers story in the comics where Thor and the Hulk had a big knock down drag out fight. I was glad they referenced it a little bit in the Avengers movie.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Kaesekopf

I just finished episode one of the 3 part Ken Burns Prohibition series.

Man oh man...
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

piabee

My favorite part is suddenly recognizing what celebrity is narrating.

Hohenstaufen

Watched El Cid the other night, which I highly recommend to anyone here.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGlfSV0IC6M[/yt]

RobertJS

Carbine Williams (1952) with James Stewart
ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio

Larry

The 1968 version of The Producers on Blu-ray.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Bonaventure

Quote from: Hohenstaufen on December 04, 2013, 11:06:23 PM
Just rewatched Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters.

I saw it as well. The postmodernists in college love him. What do you think of his seppuku stunt?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Elizabeth

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 06, 2013, 10:05:42 PM
I just finished episode one of the 3 part Ken Burns Prohibition series.

Man oh man...

Why oh why????? should I check it out, is it free?