Quote from: piabee on April 08, 2014, 11:27:23 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 07, 2014, 06:21:44 PM
Quote from: Adeodatus on April 06, 2014, 12:48:34 AM
Captain America 2. An excellent film.

So good.  Very enjoyable.

I kind of want to see it again.

I might go see it tonight.

Did you see it?  What'd you think?

It was very long. Was there another scene after the credits after the scene after the credits?

It was long but I really enjoyed it still.

There were two postcredit scenes.  One was after the stylized credits, another after all the credits.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Arun

Quote from: erin is nice on April 09, 2014, 09:16:38 AM
If Our Lady never aged over whatever age you think she should have stopped (and who determines that, anyway?), everyone would have been talking about her and staring at her, and it would have just gotten worse every year-- Do you really think the Blessed Mother would have wanted to be the center of worldly attention like that? I think she would have been very, very beautiful, but not frozen in time because she would not have wanted it (even though she deserved it).

yeah personally i think she would of aged, but aged well. like that saying "ageing gracefully" well whose got more grace than Our Lady right.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Mono no aware

Quote from: Elizabeth on April 09, 2014, 09:10:40 AM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 08, 2014, 06:01:46 PM
  Had Mel Gibson cast an obviously young actress, it might've been too jarring for modern audiences.

No no no!  Almost every statue shows the Holy Mother as beautiful.  This was a fatal flaw -- everybody loves beauty.
Veronica was more beautiful than the actress who played Our Lady.

I agree with you that Our Lady did not age.  I think it would've been the creative (and best) choice for Mel Gibson to have cast a beautiful young woman in the role.  It would've been boldly Catholic.  But it would've run the risk of freaking some people out.  Jim Cavievel's Jesus (who also should not have aged, actually) would've had a mother who looked the same age or even younger than he.  Modern audiences just wouldn't get it.  I don't fault Gibson for his casting decision there, although his Mary was a little bit (as another poster has put it) "raw," and I'm not sure I really appreciate that.  I guess I can see both sides of the argument.

Thus far no one has mentioned the best Pontius Pilate in all of cinema: David Bowie.  I like that he wasn't the stereotypical Pilate, the macho soldier.  He was a fey equestrian: fashionably Stoic; an aspiring aristocrat.  Sholem Asch invented an excellent backstory for Pilate in his novel The Nazarene, wherein Pilate was a decadent political careerist who married the not-so-marriageable Claudia (who was related to the emperor) as a stepping stone to his appointment in Jerusalem.  But he still succumbed to having his Pilate being broad-shouldered and short-tempered, whereas a "Bowie" type would've been better.

To answer Erin's question, a person free from Original Sin would not have aged past the most perfect bloom of their adulthood.  This would generally tend to be somewhere between the mid-20s and early 30s, so use your imagination.  In Islam, the most perfect age (and the age one stays in heaven) is said to be 33, which seems reasonable enough at first blush, but is actually kind of cruel when you apply it across the board.  Pity the prematurely bald.  But you get the idea.

piabee

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 09, 2014, 02:50:25 PM

It took a long time for everything to happen but there was a lot packed into it so maybe that's why?

Roland Deschain2

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 09, 2014, 04:11:20 PM
  Had Mel Gibson cast an obviously young actress, it might've been too jarring for modern audiences.

No no no!  Almost every statue shows the Holy Mother as beautiful.  This was a fatal flaw -- everybody loves beauty.

I agree with you that Our Lady did not age. 

To answer Erin's question, a person free from Original Sin would not have aged past the most perfect bloom of their adulthood. 

Yet it is perfectly acceptable to believe that the Blessed Mother died prior to her being assumed into Heaven. The Eastern Church celebrates her "Dormition."

If Our Lady could die than she could have also aged.
"To our personal enemies, according to Christ's commandment, we must forgive everything; but with the enemies of God we cannot have peace!"- Archbishop Averky

"Life is a play in which for a short time one man represents a judge, another a general, and so on; after the play no further account is made of the dignity which each one had."- St John Chrysostom

voxxpopulisuxx

I thought the actress playing Our Lady in the Passion was very beutifull... But remember the movie takes place during her passion as well.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: piabee on April 09, 2014, 05:58:05 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 09, 2014, 02:50:25 PM

It took a long time for everything to happen but there was a lot packed into it so maybe that's why?

It did take a long time for things to happen,  but also consider just how much they packed into that story.  At least two major plotlines.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

erin is nice

To answer Erin's question, a person free from Original Sin would not have aged past the most perfect bloom of their adulthood.  This would generally tend to be somewhere between the mid-20s and early 30s, so use your imagination.  In Islam, the most perfect age (and the age one stays in heaven) is said to be 33, which seems reasonable enough at first blush, but is actually kind of cruel when you apply it across the board.  Pity the prematurely bald.  But you get the idea.

St. Augustine also thought 33 was the perfect age.

Larry

Thus far no one has mentioned the best Pontius Pilate in all of cinema: David Bowie.  I like that he wasn't the stereotypical Pilate, the macho soldier.  He was a fey equestrian: fashionably Stoic; an aspiring aristocrat.  Sholem Asch invented an excellent backstory for Pilate in his novel The Nazarene, wherein Pilate was a decadent political careerist who married the not-so-marriageable Claudia (who was related to the emperor) as a stepping stone to his appointment in Jerusalem.  But he still succumbed to having his Pilate being broad-shouldered and short-tempered, whereas a "Bowie" type would've been better.

Bowie was great, too bad the movie was such a theological fustercluck. It has so many incredible visual moments, and Peter Gabriel's music is amazing. A good edit job and some added scenes would  help that flick.

On Asch's book: I haven't read it in years. Was Asch a believer in Our Lord, or just an admirer? I remember a Jewish lady I used to work with really appreciating that book, so I have to wonder. I read it as a teenager when I would read or watch anything about Jesus.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Elizabeth

Thus far no one has mentioned the best Pontius Pilate in all of cinema: David Bowie. 

Because WHO KNEW?!  I think I can believe this without seeing.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Mono no aware

Quote from: Larry on April 10, 2014, 09:05:02 AMBowie was great, too bad the movie was such a theological fustercluck. It has so many incredible visual moments, and Peter Gabriel's music is amazing. A good edit job and some added scenes would  help that flick.

On Asch's book: I haven't read it in years. Was Asch a believer in Our Lord, or just an admirer? I remember a Jewish lady I used to work with really appreciating that book, so I have to wonder. I read it as a teenager when I would read or watch anything about Jesus.

I guess The Last Temptation was a better book than it was a movie, although the movie did have some excellent flourishes, as you point out.  I think the three best novels written about Christ by non-Catholics are Kazantzakis' book, King Jesus by Robert Graves, and Asch's The Nazarene.  Asch was not a believer, but his keen admiration for the Christian religion was frowned upon by his fellow Jews.  By the end of The Nazarene, he seems to be of the opinion that Christ was something of an alternate messiah, intended for the Gentiles, bringing them into a valid covenant with God while having them continue to subsist apart from the Jews.  Which is kind of a strange way to look at the situation, but it seems to have been somewhat prophetic, since it was also the ecumenical view shared by popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI, who said things like "the Old Covenant was never revoked" and "the messianic wait is not in vain."

Mono no aware

Quote from: Roland Deschain2 on April 09, 2014, 07:26:08 PM

To answer Erin's question, a person free from Original Sin would not have aged past the most perfect bloom of their adulthood. 

Yet it is perfectly acceptable to believe that the Blessed Mother died prior to her being assumed into Heaven. The Eastern Church celebrates her "Dormition."

It's acceptable to believe it (after all, it's even permissible to believe that canonizations are fallible), but I just don't see the logic.  If "the wages of sin is death," then why would a sinless woman suffer death or decay?

Gardener

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 10, 2014, 04:21:16 PM
Quote from: Roland Deschain2 on April 09, 2014, 07:26:08 PM

It's acceptable to believe it (after all, it's even permissible to believe that canonizations are fallible), but I just don't see the logic.  If "the wages of sin is death," then why would a sinless woman suffer death or decay?

That passage (Romans 6) is primarily speaking of the eternal death.

She did not suffer decay, as according to Tradition she was assumed following her temporal death before the necessary time elapsed to make her ritually unclean under Jewish law.

Dr. Taylor Marshall lays it out here: http://taylormarshall.com/2013/08/did-the-virgin-mary-die.html

He cites Popes, Saints, etc.

One could just as easily ask if being free from Original and Actual sin, how Christ could die. It makes no sense for the Apostles to have put her in a tomb is she was sleeping like Snow White. Her dormition, so-called, might have been a term to distinguish her death biologically speaking from the death due to sin of which we shall all take part.

We find some explanations here: https://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/AOFMARY.HTM

John Paul II provides a good understanding here:
3. It is true that in Revelation death is presented as a punishment for sin. However, the fact that the Church proclaims Mary free from original sin by a unique divine privilege does not lead to the conclusion that she also received physical immortality. The Mother is not superior to the Son who underwent death, giving it a new meaning and changing it into a means of salvation. Involved in Christ's redemptive work and associated in his saving sacrifice, Mary was able to share in his suffering and death for the sake of humanity's Redemption. What Severus of Antioch says about Christ also applies to her: "Without a preliminary death, how could the Resurrection have taken place?" (Antijulianistica, Beirut 1931, 194f.). To share in Christ's Resurrection, Mary had first to share in his death.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2bvm53.htm
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

piabee

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 10, 2014, 04:21:16 PM

She wanted to share in her Son's Passion, which included His death.