Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Larry on March 30, 2014, 01:04:21 PM
The Gospel of John. I heard good things about this, so was a bit disappointed in it. The New English version of the Bible was used, so instead of "The Word Became Flesh", we get "He became a human being". There are some good things about it, but I was expecting a better movie.

That movie was actually a gateway to me exploring Christianity and taking it seriously on my own terms. It was when I was a freshman in high school or so. I remember walking all the way to the movie theater and back. I'm sure I could nitpick it to hell if I were to watch it again, but I was quite moved by it the first time around.

Christknight104

Divergent and American Hustle.

Larry

Quote from: The Harlequin King on March 30, 2014, 01:38:32 PM
The Gospel of John. I heard good things about this, so was a bit disappointed in it. The New English version of the Bible was used, so instead of "The Word Became Flesh", we get "He became a human being". There are some good things about it, but I was expecting a better movie.

That movie was actually a gateway to me exploring Christianity and taking it seriously on my own terms. It was when I was a freshman in high school or so. I remember walking all the way to the movie theater and back. I'm sure I could nitpick it to hell if I were to watch it again, but I was quite moved by it the first time around.

I could see it having that effect on someone. The healing of the blind man, Our Lord's clashes with the scribes, the resurrection appearances, were all very well done. The actor who portrayed Christ was good.  I was just expecting a better artistic experience, as I remember many comparing it favorably to more accomplished cinematic versions of Our Lord's life when it was released.
I watched Pasolini's The Gospel According to Matthew this afternoon. A beautiful movie, but definitely not for all tastes.

ETA: Two things that I really appreciated in The Gospel According to John were the wedding feast at Cana(Our Lady was portrayed very well), and the "I am the Bread of Life" discourse. I don't know how anyone could watch that scene and not understand that Our Lord is truly present in the Eucharist. The movie will probably grow on me in subsequent viewings. Whenever my mind builds up an expectation for a book or film, I'm usually disappointed on my initial viewing. I learn to appreciate it later.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Lynne

Where did you see this?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Larry

Quote from: Lynne on March 30, 2014, 06:31:57 PM
Where did you see this?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I bought the DVD from Amazon. I don't know if Netflix carries it or not.

Arun

I Spit On Your Grave. absolute shite. why did i even bother...?

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Larry

Quote from: Arun on March 31, 2014, 02:59:21 AM
I Spit On Your Grave. absolute shite. why did i even bother...?

One of the most disturbing movies ever made. I always thought that Roger Ebert's review was very apt.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/i-spit-on-your-grave-1980

Arun

oh nah i watched the 2012 remake of it, not the original one.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Larry

Quote from: Arun on March 31, 2014, 03:42:34 PM
oh nah i watched the 2012 remake of it, not the original one.

I never knew there was a remake. That's what happens when you get old.

Arun

i think there was a sequel last year too...

still it could be worse. i was given a copy of the plot to read of a film which was being protested a while ago called "A Serbian Film". i don't know how anybody could possibly find that entertaining.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Kaesekopf

Captain America 2.

It was good and enjoyable. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Kaesekopf

:lol:

It was really good.  Everyone should see it.  The marvel cinematic universe is amazing.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Larry

I just saw Captain America 2 as well. It was great.

Francisco Suárez

Kelly's Heroes. It's a classic.