Anyone here use the Monastic Diurnal for the Divine Office?

Started by Parresia, November 04, 2013, 09:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parresia

I've been considering this for some time now, but have not taken the plunge to date.  My wife and I pray Compline together pretty much every day and sometimes some of the other hours as well.  I am very interested in Benedictine Spirituality and when I find the proper place, I would like to be an Oblate. 

I subscribed to the Traditional Benedictine Office group on yahoo, but haven't paid much attention to what they have been sending out so far since I don't yet own the Diurnal. 

I will be curious as to any thoughts you guys might have. 

Peace,

ts aquinas

I've had my eye on this one from Clear Creek for awhile, http://clearcreekmonks.org/_product/monastic-diurnal-liturgical-book.html Once I master the habit of the Little Office, I'll graduate to this one. My thoughts are, make sure you're ready for it.

tradne4163

Quote from: Parresia on November 04, 2013, 09:39:52 PM
I've been considering this for some time now, but have not taken the plunge to date.  My wife and I pray Compline together pretty much every day and sometimes some of the other hours as well.  I am very interested in Benedictine Spirituality and when I find the proper place, I would like to be an Oblate. 

I subscribed to the Traditional Benedictine Office group on yahoo, but haven't paid much attention to what they have been sending out so far since I don't yet own the Diurnal. 

Peace,
It's a very solid office. I once compared the 1963 Diurnal I own with the one used on the Divinum Officium website. Aside from calendar differences, the only change I could see was another Our Father at the end of the hours.

You may want to start slow, with Prime and Compline, to get into how an hour flows.

Here's a different website that may also prove helpful. http://saintsshallarise.blogspot.com/

NB: if you are interested, I can sell you my copy of the Monastic Diurnal for a good price. :) PM me if you're interested.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Parresia

Quote from: tradne4163 on November 05, 2013, 01:11:15 AM
Quote from: Parresia on November 04, 2013, 09:39:52 PM

Peace,
It's a very solid office. I once compared the 1963 Diurnal I own with the one used on the Divinum Officium website. Aside from calendar differences, the only change I could see was another Our Father at the end of the hours.

You may want to start slow, with Prime and Compline, to get into how an hour flows.

Here's a different website that may also prove helpful. http://saintsshallarise.blogspot.com/

NB: if you are interested, I can sell you my copy of the Monastic Diurnal for a good price. :) PM me if you're interested.

Thanks!

Parresia

Does anyone happen to know whether or not the newer version of the Monastic Diurnal from St. Michael's Abbey contains the Office of the Dead?  I know the 1962 and previous versions did, and I would assume that would not be left out of the newer version since such a great effort was made at putting it together, but I cannot find any solid information either way. 

Here are some reviews of the newer version so you can see which one I am referring to:

http://absnospin.blogspot.com/2008/01/monastic-diurnal-review.html
http://absnospin.blogspot.com/2013/08/guest-review-monastic-diurnal-7th.html

Thanks in advance,

tradne4163

Yes it does. Still have that Diurnal, if you're interested. Note that the 1963 is, more or less, the equivalent for the Roman Missal of 1962. The previous version is from 1960 (more or less would probably match the 1958 Roman Missal).

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Parresia

Quote from: tradne4163 on December 28, 2013, 02:06:51 PM
Yes it does. Still have that Diurnal, if you're interested. Note that the 1963 is, more or less, the equivalent for the Roman Missal of 1962. The previous version is from 1960 (more or less would probably match the 1958 Roman Missal).

Thanks.  I would probably get the newer one from St. Michael's Abbey if I was going to get any of them, but I definitely appreciate the heads up. 

tradne4163

Quote from: Parresia on December 28, 2013, 02:29:06 PM

Thanks.  I would probably get the newer one from St. Michael's Abbey if I was going to get any of them, but I definitely appreciate the heads up.
Just be sure they remember to include the help cards. I ordered from the Silver City Monks when I got my copy of the 1963, and unfortunately they forgot to include them. Not sure how Clearcreek does it, though. But it is possible to get it here in the US (though if you're from Europe, St. Michaels Abbey is the better choice to get it).

Parresia

Quote from: tradne4163 on December 28, 2013, 03:45:06 PM
Quote from: Parresia on December 28, 2013, 02:29:06 PM

Just be sure they remember to include the help cards. I ordered from the Silver City Monks when I got my copy of the 1963, and unfortunately they forgot to include them. Not sure how Clearcreek does it, though. But it is possible to get it here in the US (though if you're from Europe, St. Michaels Abbey is the better choice to get it).

I appreciate the heads up. 

Parresia

I went ahead and purchased the Diurnal today.  If I run into issues, I may PM you with questions, or post them here, providing you don't mind. 

+Pax

tradne4163

Quote from: Parresia on December 29, 2013, 01:36:46 PM
I went ahead and purchased the Diurnal today.  If I run into issues, I may PM you with questions, or post them here, providing you don't mind. 

+Pax
sure thing. I believe I shared a link earlier in this thread to a blog I myself found quite useful (if you go by either the Universal Benedictine Calendar or the 1962 Roman Calendar). The lady there is very responsive as well. I myself plan to use a 1955 Diurnal, which can a be a bit more complicated since it uses an older ranking system. But you're welcome to PM me anytime.
What I recommend is that you match the Office with the Kalendar used by where you happen to assist most for a TLM, unless of course you happen to be a Benedictine Oblate. If that's the case, you can follow the Kalendar of the monastery or abbey you are attached to.

Parresia

Quote from: tradne4163 on December 29, 2013, 01:53:23 PM

+Pax
sure thing. I believe I shared a link earlier in this thread to a blog I myself found quite useful (if you go by either the Universal Benedictine Calendar or the 1962 Roman Calendar). The lady there is very responsive as well. I myself plan to use a 1955 Diurnal, which can a be a bit more complicated since it uses an older ranking system. But you're welcome to PM me anytime.
What I recommend is that you match the Office with the Kalendar used by where you happen to assist most for a TLM, unless of course you happen to be a Benedictine Oblate. If that's the case, you can follow the Kalendar of the monastery or abbey you are attached to.

The vendor on Amazon says that the Diurnal comes with no cards that he had seen, thought he suggested that they might be contained inside the shrink wrap which protects the book.  Thoughts?  Is there somewhere else to get the cards in case it is not shipped with them?   Thanks!

Kaesekopf

+Pax

Post them here!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Parresia

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 30, 2013, 11:44:26 AM

+Pax

Post them here!

Will do. 

tradne4163

Quote from: Parresia on December 30, 2013, 09:57:49 AM
Quote from: tradne4163 on December 29, 2013, 01:53:23 PM

+Pax

The vendor on Amazon says that the Diurnal comes with no cards that he had seen, thought he suggested that they might be contained inside the shrink wrap which protects the book.  Thoughts?  Is there somewhere else to get the cards in case it is not shipped with them?   Thanks!
I tracked down some downloads that contain helpful information. I'll try to attach them to this post. As for the ones you're missing, they included the Magnificat, Benedictus, and the opening of Lauds along with Psalm 66. That can easily be overcome since there are more than enough ribbons.